Scotland Vs Australia

Scotland captain Darren Fletcher will train with the squad ahead of next week's friendly against Australia.The 28-year-old Manchester United star has not played for nearly 10 months due to a chronic bowel complaint.

"Darren will be with us at the weekend, he is back in training and he played 45 minutes in a practice match last week," revealed Levein.

"He is not in the squad because he has not played for Manchester United but he will do a bit of training with us."

Fletcher, who won the last of his 58 caps in October last year, has beenpromised another role at Old Trafford should he not manage a comeback.

However, the midfielder remains focused on a return to full fitness.

"I'm desperate to get back playing for Scotland and get back to captaining my country, which I take great pride in doing and relish every moment of," he told BBC Scotland in March.

Southampton left-back Danny Fox has been recalled for the match at Easter Road.

The 26-year-old former Celtic player made his one previous international appearance against Wales in 2009.

Rangers defenders Lee Wallace and Kirk Broadfoot have not been picked, with the club relaunched in Division Three, but the former was offered a glimmer of hope on his international future.

"The best scenario is for players to be playing at the top level to play international football it makes it so much easier to step from one to the other," explained the manager.

"It is very difficult for anyone playing in the Third Division in Scotland to be up to the speed of an international match.

"No way am I closing the door at all I just think it is more difficult for Lee to get in now than it was previously."

There are only three Scottish Premier League players in the 24-man pool - Celtic duo Charlie Mulgrew and James Forrest, and Hearts defender Andy Webster.

Celtic skipper Scott Brown is suffering from a hip problem, while Norwich full-back Steven Whittaker is also recovering from injury.

Makie will lead the line in the absence of Kenny Miller, who has recently switched to Vancouver Whitecaps.

Goalkeeper Craig Gordon, still searching for a new club after his release from Sunderland, is overlooked.

Scotland have played Australia on four occasions, the last of which saw the Socceroos win a Hampden friendly 2-0 in 2000.

Scotland squad:

Goalkeepers: McGregor (Besiktas), Gilks (Blackpool), Marshall (Cardiff)

Defenders: Bardsley (Sunderland), Berra (Wolves), Caldwell (Wigan), Fox (Southampton), Hanley (Blackburn), Hutton (Aston Villa), Martin (Norwich), Mulgrew (Celtic), Webster (Hearts)

Midfielders: Adam (Liverpool), Bannan (Aston Villa), Cowie (Cardiff), Dorrans (West Brom), Forrest (Celtic), Morrison (West Brom), Phillips (Blackpool), Snodgrass (Norwich)

Forwards: Mackie (QPR), Maloney (Wigan), Naismith (Everton), Rhodes (Huddersfield).

macgregor in turkey. that winna last long. must be way out of his comfort zone.

I'll be surprised if he lasts the season.

Couldn't imagine him and his missus coping out there. The pair of them are too thick to integrate themselves within such a foreign culture. McGregor saw the colour of their money and said, 'where do I sign?'

I'll be surprised if he lasts the season.

Couldn't imagine him and his missus coping out there. The pair of them are too thick to integrate themselves within such a foreign culture. McGregor saw the colour of their money and said, 'where do I sign?'

spot on.

wonder what the locals must think of them.

been a real disspointment for me since he left scotland. although i know injuries havent helped.

He was found out to a certain extent in England I think. My old boss, when I lived in England, was a Sunderland season ticket holder and he reckoned the fans didn't particularly rate him. He thought he was a world class shot stopper, but had no command of his area and wasn't dominant enough to be considered a really top keeper.

He's always been brilliant for Scotland though... I reckon he might have come good in the EPL if he'd had a decent run without injury. It's hard to establish yourself as goalkeeper when you're in and out of the team.

been a real disspointment for me since he left scotland. although i know injuries havent helped.

To me he always looked like a frightened rabbit, caught in the headlights when he played down there. No where near vocal enough or bossy enough either. Good keeper, but just lacking something.

Craig Gordon is a better keeper than anyone England have got that's for sure.

Correct.

I'm astounded that Craig Gordon isn't at a bigger club than Sunderland. Probably the goalie with the coolest head in the world.

If you have world class players in front of you, there is much less of an emphasis on commanding your box with shouting etc.

Correct.

I'm astounded that Craig Gordon isn't at a bigger club than Sunderland. Probably the goalie with the coolest head in the world.

If you have world class players in front of you, there is much less of an emphasis on commanding your box with shouting etc.

He isn't at any club right now.

So Levein say's it would be very difficult to pick someone playing Division 3 football ie Wallace and Broadfoot and has just gone and drafted in Ian Black to the squad.

What a complete fucking joke and so glad i've wiped my hands of going to international fitba whilst that tube is in charge. :angry2:

Surely someone is having a laugh here. Hope its a wind up? If not just shows how inept Levein is at his job. Could never seem to figure out what he did that was so special at his previous clubs?

Strange decision considering he couldnt get a game when playing in the SPL. Thought Bryson at Derby would have been called up... Starting to regret getting a tartan army membership with Levein in charge. Can already see him just playing for draws. Mid table was acceptable at Dundee United so he seems to think getting a few draws and finishing mid table in a qualifying group is acceptable too!

Scotland are utter shite and have no chance of getting in the top 3 of their group with that fucking muppet in charge.

Anyone with eyes and a football brain would know that Ian Black is nowhere near good enough for international football, and that's before he signed for The Rangers and started playing in the haddies league.

Surely even those feather wearing weirdos must realise that we'll get nowhere with that buffoon in charge.

....or will they still give it Doh-a-deer?! :suicide: