David Templeton

A very hot and cold player according to the Hearts fans. Excellent one week, poor the next. Apparently ripped the St Johnstone full back a new one on the opening day, however he barely got involved at Easter Road on Sunday.

Glad he's missing the game against us though, probably carries their biggest threat.

We had him on our books. Willie Miller let him go. He said he was "too small". I saw him come on as a sub in 2007 for Stenny at Montrose. He was superb and I waxed lyrically about him. One of the better young Scots to have emerged in the last three years.

If a lie is repeated enough, people will start believing.

• Upvote 2

Think that's because he was injured though and not because he was out of form.

No, its because he was dropped. Only 5 on the bench and Taoul (sp) was given the place.

Kids front 4 that played together through youths were Templeton, Maguire, Paton and Dave Ross at Peterhead.

I think we should have kept Templeton.

Ollie do you know exactly why Templeton wasnt kept on? I had heard from a very reliable source that Miller genuinely got rid as he was too small.

No, its because he was dropped. Only 5 on the bench and Taoul (sp) was given the place.

Kids front 4 that played together through youths were Templeton, Maguire, Paton and Dave Ross at Peterhead.

Ollie do you know exactly why Templeton wasnt kept on? I had heard from a very reliable source that Miller genuinely got rid as he was too small.

Taken from his profile on the Hearts website:

Unfortunately, due to injury, he missed the final rounds of last season's Scottish Cup campaign, and David eventually required a double hernia operation in May 2012.

http://www.heartsfc.co.uk/articles/david-templeton-hearts_2241487_37224

Easy to say we should have kept Templeton on now, but if our policy back then took height into account then it was never going to happen for him here. Maybe wouldn't have turned into the player he is today if he'd stayed with us.

At his time of release he was simply deemed to be not of the required standard, as, basically, he wasn't, as many players were before, and will after him. He developed into a fine player, obviously, and there are a couple of interviews with him that state the "too small" chestnut. But its an easy out for a scorned individual to paint the club in such light. Put simply, he is just one of many examples the world over who "slipped through the net".

Taken from his profile on the Hearts website:

http://www.heartsfc.co.uk/articles/david-templeton-hearts_2241487_37224

Easy to say we should have kept Templeton on now, but if our policy back then took height into account then it was never going to happen for him here. Maybe wouldn't have turned into the player he is today if he'd stayed with us.

Ah well, Liam McLeod got it wrong on the commentary then. Stupid sheep shagging cunt.

At his time of release he was simply deemed to be not of the required standard, as, basically, he wasn't, as many players were before, and will after him. He developed into a fine player, obviously, and there are a couple of interviews with him that state the "too small" chestnut. But its an easy out for a scorned individual to paint the club in such light. Put simply, he is just one of many examples the world over who "slipped through the net".

Oh right, cheers min.

Only other one I can think we let slip is Maloney. We let any other decent players leave?

Ah well, Liam McLeod got it wrong on the commentary then. Stupid sheep shagging cunt.

Oh right, cheers min.

Only other one I can think we let slip is Maloney. We let any other decent players leave?

Might just be imagining this, but did Calderwood try and get Maloney on loan from Celtic in the summer of 2005? I'm sure I remember reading that somewhere at the time.

We had him on our books. Willie Miller let him go. He said he was "too small". I saw him come on as a sub in 2007 for Stenny at Montrose. He was superb and I waxed lyrically about him. One of the better young Scots to have emerged in the last three years.

Don't worry we have Fraser and Masson now ;)

I read that in the Sunday Times four or five years ago. It was a quote directly attributed to DT himself.

What do you know that says that the player lied or the paper misrepresented him?

I'm not saying the player didn't say it. As I've said above its an easy thing to say when your released. Make it look like the club are in the wrong, and never acknowledge your own shortcomings. Bad Aberdeen.

Yes my imagination does stretch this far. It is indeed a possibility that a rejected player lies and there is indeed probability that a rejectee feels bad towards his rejector. However, the crime was in letting him go. The incompetence was in not keeping him, after presumably a full and proper period of evaluation. I don't actually give a fuck about what he got told by AFC or what he says was said, only that he got rejected at all. I'm only reporting what I read he said.

He was not a standout for AFC's youth teams. He was correctly rejected. He went away and developed into a fine player but at the time of rejection who'd have thunk. It's a bugger, but it happens. I may have been given misinformation regarding him, but I doubt it.

He was not a standout for AFC's youth teams. He was correctly rejected. He went away and developed into a fine player but at the time of rejection who'd have thunk. It's a bugger, but it happens. I may have been given misinformation regarding him, but I doubt it.

Don't think it's as clear cut as that.... I don't think you can say he was 'correctly rejected'.

It's the job of our youth coaches to be perceptive enough to recognise potential. They are paid professionals and this is part of their remit. Players develop at different level. Fair enough if it's a one off though - everyone makes mistakes in their jobs....

Don't think it's as clear cut as that.... I don't think you can say he was 'correctly rejected'.

It's the job of our youth coaches to be perceptive enough to recognise potential. They are paid professionals and this is part of their remit. Players develop at different level. Fair enough if it's a one off though - everyone makes mistakes in their jobs....

Of course you can.

The potential is recognised, or they wouldn't be there in the first place. If they aren't showing signs of progression then players are correctly rejected. If they go away, maybe have a change in attitude, work hard and progress elsewhere then there's not a lot AFC can do about that. It happens the world over. It happens at every club, in every country. There once existed a club who even rejected a certain Eoin Jess.

Of course you can.

The potential is recognised, or they wouldn't be there in the first place. If they aren't showing signs of progression then players are correctly rejected. If they go away, maybe have a change in attitude, work hard and progress elsewhere then there's not a lot AFC can do about that. It happens the world over. It happens at every club, in every country. There once existed a club who even rejected a certain Eoin Jess.

You can't say they were correctly rejected though. That's my point.... unless you are suggesting that David Templeton had attitude problems? If so, then fair enough I stand corrected. There is little the coaches can do about that. Otherwise, they made clear mistake in not recognising and developing the potential of a lad who will probably go on to receive international recognition.

You can't say they were correctly rejected though. That's my point.... unless you are suggesting that David Templeton had attitude problems? If so, then fair enough I stand corrected. There is little the coaches can do about that. Otherwise, they made clear mistake in not recognising and developing the potential of a lad who will probably go on to receive international recognition.

I'm not suggesting he had a poor attitude. I didn't know the lad so can't judge. In fact I would probably say the opposite as it looks like he's taken rejection and made him more determined to succeed.

I get what you are saying, but at the time, perhaps the signs of progression just weren't there.

Interesting wee ditty from Willie Miller in todays evening rag about the myth, and how annoyed he got when people suggested a player was released for being too small and they are firstly judged by their ability with the ball.

Just saying like.

more than likely true since willie got involved 8 years ago. Certainly was not the case when our youth system was run by chic mclelland and drew Jarvie.