Us Open Tennis 2012

Jones

Really looking forward to this, the build up on the back of Murray's Olympic win has been great, despite a recent slight dip in form. As usual it seems he's on the wrong end of the seeding/draw system having to play Tsonga, Fed, and Djokovic to win it. Compounded by the yanks fascination with making things 'super', Murray will have to beat Fed on the Saturday then Djokovic on the Sunday.

1st round games to watch, Murray obviously, Delpo-Nalby and Berdych-Goffin should also be good.

Story of the first round so far - Fed is playing this duffer Donald Young who had lost 17 games on the bounce before finally winning one, only to lose his next game and hasn't played one since. Still has over $1.2milly in earnings though. Must be nice. Still, bet the farm on Fed if ever an excuse were needed.

Ohh AND, female ref Lois Goodman arrested for murdering her husband the other day after flying in to ref at the tournament. Interesting article about it below:

http://laist.com/2012/08/23/elderly_tennis_ref_who_bludgeoned_h.php#photo-1

Ohh AND, definitely final and:

W1ZYX.jpg

As you say, a tough draw for Murray... but then again, he had an absolute stinker at Wimbledon too!

Route to the final:

1R: Bogomolov jnr

2R: Dodig

3R: Lopez

4R: Raonic

QF: Tsonga

SF: Federer

Final: Del Potro/Djokovic

Raonic is the first real test for Murray, but he deals with power very well and I'd fancy him to get past the Canadian. After that, anything can happen!

Bet of the tournament, for me, is Del Potro to make the final @ 11/2... he's got a reasonable draw, on the same side as Djokovic, who's not the force he was this time last year. The draw is quite lop-sided this year and Djokovic and Del Potro should have few problems until they meet in the quarter finals.

He;s playing much better tonight... First serve percentage noticeably higher. Good first set and dominating the 2nd too.

He's only hovering around 57%. Will need to go higher than that later in the tournament.

With Murray the service is always the key. 89% of points won on first serve. Tells you everything you need to know. When Murray gets his first serves in he is nigh-on impossible to beat, because he return of serve is one of the most reliable shots in the game of tennis. It's always a weapon.

He doesn't have much power, but when it's functioning well, I'd argue that Murrays serve is among the best, if not the best, on tour. Sadly he just has no consistency.

Noway, he has one of the worst serves amongst the top guys on the tour. It's horribly inconsistent also.

I think it was what 49 % in his first match?

I totally agree though, Murray when his serve is on is a totally different prospect. If he's going to win this he needs to serve well in the big games on the big points. So often you see Federer at 15-30 down on serve pull out 2-3 big serves to get him out of trouble. Murray started doing that at Wimbledon and during the Olympics, hopefully he'll continue here.

Good evening's work though, poor Croat getting smacked about the court just now..

Noway, he has one of the worst serves amongst the top guys on the tour. It's horribly inconsistent also.

I think it was what 49 % in his first match?

I totally agree though, Murray when his serve is on is a totally different prospect. If he's going to win this he needs to serve well in the big games on the big points. So often you see Federer at 15-30 down on serve pull out 2-3 big serves to get him out of trouble. Murray started doing that at Wimbledon and during the Olympics, hopefully he'll continue here.

Good evening's work though, poor Croat getting smacked about the court just now..

What the hell are you talking about? Did you read my comments properly?

I said Murrays first serve is among the best when it's functioning well... i.e. he's serving a high %. You cannot argue with that. The statistics back it up. When Murray serves well he wins an insanely high % of points from that shot. It's one of the most devasting weapons on tour when it's fully functioning. However, it can become his biggest weakness on a bad day.

I wonder if he's discussed taking a little bit off his first serve, inorder to improve his consistency, with Lendl. The % of points won on first serve would drop off a little, but I wonder if that would be balanced by the better overall first serve %.

Wow, Tsonga just got owned in four by Martin Klizan. Good news for Murray. :)

Good news indeed for Murray! Tsonga is one of the players that's really dangerous because he's so unpredictable. He has the ability to beat Federer when he's on his game, however, by the same token he's also prone to slip-ups against qualifiers!

Murray should beat Lopez in the 3rd round comfortably. I'd be shocked if he didn't. However, it'll then be Raonic in round 4, who is a really dangerous player. Murray usually plays power really well, but Raonic is improving all the time and is going to become a really top player.

If he can come through that then I reckon he'll get Marin Cilic in the quarter, who he beat comfortably at Wimbledon.... then it's on to the big boys!

Murray wins in straight sets: 4, 4 & 2.

I hope you manage to see highlights of that match back in the UK, because that was something very special there. Murray was absolutely incredible today. The finesse and artistry of his play today was an absolute joy to behold. Raonic was bludgeoning the ball, but Murray made it look like he had nothing today.

Great article in the New York Times: http://www.nytimes.com/2012/09/04/sports/tennis/andy-murray-defeats-milos-raonic-at-us-open.html

Regardless of the argument surrounding his personality, if you're a fan of tennis, then you're a fan of the way Andy Murray plays when he's in full flight. There was a period, in tennis, when racket technology began to change and power became more important... however in recent years guys like Roger Federer, Murray and Djokovic have raised the bar and now having great power alone isn't enough.

Other than after the Olympic final and this years Australian Open semi-final, where he narrowly lost to an on-fire Djokovic, that was the best I've seen him play in over 12 months. Really hope he can get over the line here.

Cilic will be tougher than he was coming off that marathon five-setter at Wimbledon, but if Murray can get through that, the prize is a semi-final against Roger Federer.

Great article in the New York Times: http://www.nytimes.com/2012/09/04/sports/tennis/andy-murray-defeats-milos-raonic-at-us-open.html

Regardless of the argument surrounding his personality, if you're a fan of tennis, then you're a fan of the way Andy Murray plays when he's in full flight. There was a period, in tennis, when racket technology began to change and power became more important... however in recent years guys like Roger Federer, Murray and Djokovic have raised the bar and now having great power alone isn't enough.

Other than after the Olympic final and this years Australian Open semi-final, where he narrowly lost to an on-fire Djokovic, that was the best I've seen him play in over 12 months. Really hope he can get over the line here.

Cilic will be tougher than he was coming off that marathon five-setter at Wimbledon, but if Murray can get through that, the prize is a semi-final against Roger Federer.

he's a world class player and i hope he has learned from mistakes, e is playing in an era where the top 3 have been outstanding and he has kept up with them all....just not in the majors, in my opinion when he has lost a grand slam his opponent has played to their best, this could be his year, if he beats fed in the semi, he will win the final

he's a world class player and i hope he has learned from mistakes, e is playing in an era where the top 3 have been outstanding and he has kept up with them all....just not in the majors, in my opinion when he has lost a grand slam his opponent has played to their best, this could be his year, if he beats fed in the semi, he will win the final

He's got this in the bag I reckon if he plays like that for the remainder of the tournament.

Immense tennis.