Joe Harper

Just heard this being discussed on Talksport..."Craig Brown has turned to Joe Harper to solve his striking woes" was what was said...Harper in as Striking Coach?...

It's in the Retard.

Basically Harper has said to Brown that the strikers need to keep working hard in training. It's hardly a coaching role.

Daily Retard

Dons turn to Pittodrie legend Harper as Brown tries to improve goal tally

ABERDEEN are creating so many chances Joe Harper would fancy sticking a few away even at the age of 64.

Goal king Joe Harper bagged 205 goals in two spells at Aberdeen.

CRAIG BROWN has turned to Pittodrie strike king Joe Harper in a bid to solve his side’s scoring problems.

Saturday’s St Mirren stalemate was Aberdeen’s third goalless draw of the season at home and the Dons have now gone more than six-and-a-half hours without seeing the ball hit the back of the net at Pittodrie.

The Dons last struck in the SPL in the 2-1 home defeat against Hibs on May 2.

Aberdeen are creating so many chances Harper would fancy sticking a few away even at the age of 64.

He bagged a record 205 goals across his two spells at Pittodrie and Brown said: “If there's someone who knows about scoring goals it’s Joe Harper.

“Joe is the greatest goalscorer Aberdeen has seen but he told me that even he went through barren spells.

“I didn’t believe him but he said he could go months at a time without scoring and said the only way to get back in the goals was to work even harder in training.

“That is what we will do. It’s down to repetition and making it second nature. It’s about scoring without even having to think about it. Joe said sometimes even getting used to hearing the ball ripple in the back of the net can help.

“It will just take a spark. I don’t think any unbiased observer could claim we didn’t deserve to beat St Mirren on Saturday. It was the same against Hearts and Ross County.

“We’ve outplayed teams so far but haven’t got the results we deserve.

“We were three inches away from going top of the league. Cammy Smith’s header hit the underside of the bar and if that had gone in we’d have been top going into the Sunday games.

“So I’m not despondent, far from it. We’re not sitting here wondering where the next goal is going to come from.

“We’re creating more chances than we’ve done for a very long time and it’s just a couple of things we need to change for it to make a big difference.

“That’s what Joe Harper said – it can change in a split second. It’s good advice for the likes of Scott Vernon. He is working extremely hard but nothing has gone for him in the league games so far.

“He had the ball in the net twice against St Johnstone and both were ruled out for offside. One of them was well onside and the other was borderline.

“That’s how close it has been and I’ve no doubt he will score a lot of goals for us this season.”

Brown believes the return of star signing Niall McGinn will also add bite to his toothless attack. The manager said: “McGinn should be back after the international break and he will give us a spark that maybe we’ve missed.

“You would expect him to be in and around the penalty box supporting Vernon.

“He is a quality player who will give us some more cutting edge up front.”

Brown wants his side to find their shooting boots long before their League Cup third-round clash at Dunfermline at the end of the month.He said: “As seeds it’s probably one of the toughest sides we could have drawn at this stage.

“It’s a very difficult tie but we are looking to progress.”