Athens....

RUL

I was there earlier this year, for 3 days before going north to see the battlefields at Marathon, Thermopylae, and the Oracle at Delphi. Dephi is really worth going to if you fancy going for a trip, its a truly amazing place, and the wee town is smashing to.

Prices were very reasonable on the whole, although I did find that the food was the worst of anywhere I've ever been, even if you go somewhere very nice. I'm a bit picky about my food though, when you go to the restaurants that are a bit out of the way, its all rabbit and Cockerel and the like, and they are not in to the presentation side.

We stopped at a petrol station, a shell one, and like many of the buildings, for tax reasons the 2nd floor had been started, but not finished, anyway, the owners of said petrol station were hvaing a barbecue on the forecourt, I'd never seen anything like it.

The Acropolis is great, and the relativeley new museum at the bottom, on the Odeon side, is a must see.

Just went there with the dons, wouldnt go back hated the place.

I was there then as well, its not a good destination for the football side as not many bars in the city centre, we ended up spending the whole trip in that bar at Syntagma square(sure spelling is wrong) and one night in the Irish bar.

Cheers, it's the food that's putting me off booking as into the historical side and imagine it'll be brilliant. Flights are good value too, for obvious reasons I guess. I'm a bit picky too and not sure i'm up for eating rabbit and the like, will have a think. I was just concerned that prices were going to be through the roof for food as suggested by one of my mates.

Did the historical side on the last day we were there, once you have seen one crumbling building it got old. Suppose the walk up the acropolis was ok, but view wise from the top you couldnt see much for the haze. One of the most un-welcoming places i have been.

I've heard rome is much more interesting but havnt seen it for myself.

Cheers, it's the food that's putting me off booking as into the historical side and imagine it'll be brilliant. Flights are good value too, for obvious reasons I guess. I'm a bit picky too and not sure i'm up for eating rabbit and the like, will have a think. I was just concerned that prices were going to be through the roof for food as suggested by one of my mates.

There was always normal stuff on the menus to, so you didn't need to eat Rabbit. I didn't find the food that expensive, we ate at 2 of the famous restaurants in Athens, one overlooking the acropolis from the bottom, and one that you can get a cable car to, thats on a hill across from the acropolis, and whilst not cheap, they were certainly not any more expensive than a decent restaurant here, and the wine was far cheaper. If you want to go for the historical side, its well worth it, and I wouldn't let the food put you off, just know in advance, it wont be like the food in Paris, Rome etc.

I've heard rome is much more interesting but havnt seen it for myself.

Rome is my favourite city in the world, going for the 4th time, in November, and going to Lazio v Roma merda, as part of my Christmas present from the missus, Rome is incredible in every way, and yes, its much more interesting and beautiful compared to Athens.

There was always normal stuff on the menus to, so you didn't need to eat Rabbit. I didn't find the food that expensive, we ate at 2 of the famous restaurants in Athens, one overlooking the acropolis from the bottom, and one that you can get a cable car to, thats on a hill across from the acropolis, and whilst not cheap, they were certainly not any more expensive than a decent restaurant here, and the wine was far cheaper. If you want to go for the historical side, its well worth it, and I wouldn't let the food put you off, just know in advance, it wont be like the food in Paris, Rome etc.

Rome is my favourite city in the world, going for the 4th time, in November, and going to Lazio v Roma merda, as part of my Christmas present from the missus, Rome is incredible in every way, and yes, its much more interesting and beautiful compared to Athens.

I really fancy going, never been to italy at all so hoping to maybe go next year.

Italy in general is class. Except of course for Naples, shit hole.

I think we will be heading to other parts of Italy next time round. Next year and the year after we will be heading to places further afield but the year after I plan on visiting Italy again.

Possibly Milan then over to the east coast this time

EDIT - agreed Naples is a fucking dump

I think we will be heading to other parts of Italy next time round. Next year and the year after we will be heading to places further afield but the year after I plan on visiting Italy again.

Possibly Milan then over to the east coast this time

EDIT - agreed Naples is a fucking dump

Never been Milan but have heard it's not that great, Bergamo is meant to be decent nearby. I'll be driving through Italy in a couple weeks on way from Nice to Munich, so probs stop off and check out Genoa and staying at Lake Garda for a night.

what a country.

possibly three of the most historic and beautif cities in the world in rome, florence and venice. and then three of the best rural regions in europe - tuscany, amalfi coast and the lakes.

not many countries can compete with that.

of course this summary completely ignores all the historic twons and many other great aspects of italy which just goes to show how much the contry has to offer.

Italy's an amazing place. Been to Sienna, Florence, Naples and some of the smaller towns. Love how relaxing the country is, the town squares are beautiful and family friendly at any time of the day (not sure about the bigger cities or Naples as was a day trip, only talking about the places I've been). Food and climate are amazing and the locals are really friendly.

what a country.

possibly three of the most historic and beautif cities in the world in rome, florence and venice. and then three of the best rural regions in europe - tuscany, amalfi coast and the lakes.

not many countries can compete with that.

of course this summary completely ignores all the historic twons and many other great aspects of italy which just goes to show how much the contry has to offer.

Very true. Only Venice was a bit disappointing for myself when I was there, it' just too full of tourists and all food you can buy is either too expensive or rotten. But I would defo like to go to Italy again in upcoming holidays.

As for Athens, I have been there in 2008, not sure how it's now with the situation in Greece, but there's a hill in the middle of the city from where you can overlook the whole town. I can really recommend to go there, especially in the evening or at night.

And both Aegina and Salamis, the islands near Athens, are very nice and a good place to relax, to swim or to climb on the cliffs.

Athens is a bit of a dump, to be honest. Glad I went, because I wanted to see the Acropolis, Hadrian's Arch, and Thermopylae (Thermopylae not in Athens, it should be mentioned)

Done it now and wouldn't go back.

The Islands are way better than the mainland, and Santorini was my favourite Island.

Rome is excellent, and my third favourite city after New York (#2) and Paris (#1).

Paris good? Few folk I know didn't rate it so hadn't considered it

Depends what you want out of the place.

Any time we go we hit places like Pere Lachaise (I have pictures of Kelt doing the international sign of Little Devil Fingers at Jim Morrison's grave), Louvre, river tours, Notre Dame (a very short walk from the cafe/old district), Sacre Coeur, Champs Elysees...

Food, beer and wine is great (only had one bad meal in Paris) if a little expensive, and if you can speak a little French the locals are (with one exception) extremely friendly.

If you're there just to party then I'd advise you plan your venues beforehand. And Parisian women are stunning...

If you're there to sightsee, then I can't really think of a city with more stuff to visit.

Love the place.