4G Coverage

Iraq_Red

I live less than a mile from the exchange in Inverness and my broadband is smoking hot..

Nae luck troops :laughing:

They are seemingly upgrading the Kincorth exchange by the end of this month so we might be able to get fibre optic soon instead of this shite we are getting ivnoo in Cove, powered by a hamster on a wheel......just checked 3.93mbps Download, 0.77mbps Upload, Ping 67 :(

• Admin

They are seemingly upgrading the Kincorth exchange by the end of this month so we might be able to get fibre optic soon instead of this shite we are getting ivnoo in Cove, powered by a hamster on a wheel......just checked 3.93mbps Download, 0.77mbps Upload, Ping 67 :(

BT are finally getting their arse in gear. Aberdeen's exchanges should be fibre to the curb enabled by the end of the month. Shocking when your phone is faster than landline broadband.

3.93M fxck me min that's superb, in Cove?

I sometimes get about 900k but only in the last couple of months. Before that just under 500k download speed.

How 4G is set to kill off the landline.

Technology experts say the arrival of 4G high-speed mobile broadband will kill off the humble home telephone landline in the UK within five years.

http://www.heraldscotland.com/news/home-news/how-4g-is-set-to-kill-off-the-landline.18888974

Always hearing the media coming out with this sort of pish... the home computer will put an end to the need for TV... Possibly true if TV technology were to suddenly grind to halt, and we still had fuzzy, low rez tube tellys from the early 80s that you had to walk up to and push buttons on.

Landlines aren't going anywhere in the next 5 years,

Flying cars aren't going to appear any time soon, and we won't be swallowing a pill instead of eating roast beef and potatoes.

• Upvote 1

Always hearing the media coming out with this sort of pish... the home computer will put an end to the need for TV... Possibly true if TV technology were to suddenly grind to halt, and we still had fuzzy, low rez tube tellys from the early 80s that you had to walk up to and push buttons on.

Landlines aren't going anywhere in the next 5 years,

Flying cars aren't going to appear any time soon, and we won't be swallowing a pill instead of eating roast beef and potatoes.

My own experience is that I have been eyeballing my landline phone with suspicion over the last several years and thinking 'You're costing me money and are only here for my internet connection'. I cannae be ersed gettin' aff the sofa when I've got a mobile phone in ma pooch. I also have three children who live in three separate flats , none of which boast a landline. My daughter and her partner both have iPhones , one of which at any given time doubles as a wireless modem , as indeed most , if not all , smart phones can now do.

You couldnae possibly be aboot tae be proved wrang surely Kelt ? I know they will not disappear completely from our lives , some may even hang on for nostalgic reasons...but I do believe their decline will be rapide.

My own experience is that I have been eyeballing my landline phone with suspicion over the last several years and thinking 'You're costing me money and are only here for my internet connection'. I cannae be ersed gettin' aff the sofa when I've got a mobile phone in ma pooch. I also have three children who live in three separate flats , none of which boast a landline. My daughter and her partner both have iPhones , one of which at any given time doubles as a wireless modem , as indeed most , if not all , smart phones can now do.

You couldnae possibly be aboot tae be proved wrang surely Kelt ? I know they will not disappear completely from our lives , some may even hang on for nostalgic reasons...but I do believe their decline will be rapide.

We got rid of oor landline a few months back. Telenor (the Noggie equivalent of BT) said, sure we can do that for ye, but since ye have internet we need to make a random charge of about

It has just occured tae me that I'll need my wireless router if I want to continue to use my current device of choice , Google's Nexus 7( love it , 7" HD Screen , fast , fits in erse pooch ). This suggests that I will not be able to tell talktalk tae get tae since the Nexus 7 is wi fi only , although the next generation will probably offer 3 or 4G.

There are numerous 'hot spots' around town that are free tho' and mebbe one day we'll get everything , everywhere richt enough. Somebody I know lives close to one of these big department stores that offer free wi fi and gets his access that way.

I mind the days when it was a skill locating a fault on a landline, then getting a hairy arsed jointer oot to fix it.

If ye were good at yer job, you could tell the jointer exactly where to dig his hole. Others not so skilled, would end up wi the jointers shovel rammed up their erse.

They jointers didna suffer fools gladly.

It's entirely possible that I can be proven wrong about this and a whole lot of other stuff beside. Wouldn't be the first time, wouldn't be the last time. I'm not one of those sorts who has a pathological need to always be right... I welcome correction, in fact, since it expands my knowledge rather than perpetuates my ignorance :) Being wrong is nothing to be embarrassed or ashamed about.

Having said that, I don't think I'm wrong about the land line thing.

I'm going to estimate that I have around... quick count in my head here... around a dozen devices in the house that could, realistically, take the place of a landline phone. Some of which do exactly that.

Rather than get rid of the landline, we actually had to add a second line purely for business a couple of years back, so now we have two landlines in the house. Personal and work.

The intrinsic problem with people announcing the death of a system is that this prediction is predicated upon the necessity that the system in question is incapable of adapting, or that the system doing the replacing is financially as economical, and, more importantly renders that system technologically redundant.

TV was going to render radio and the cinema obsolete. There were to be no more movie theatres since we'd all have one in our homes. In reality TV offers entertainment but is impractical in terms of mobility. You can't safely drive and watch TV, but you can listen to the radio. Radios have adapted to fill those niches where it is still more practical, and television hasn't rendered radio obsolete. Had radio technology suddenly frozen when TV first came out, then sure, radio might have become a relic of the past.

EMail was going to replace snailmail. Didn't happen... you could probably do a good job of detailing the whys and hows yourself.

Now, on the flip side, horse-drawn ploughs have disappeared because motorised farm equipment does EXACTLY the job of the horse and plough. There's no way of adapting the horse and plough to perform a task that the motorised version can't, and so it was inevitable that (in the industrialised states) the horse and plough was goosed.

Does the land line fulfill any of the tasks that 4g can't?

Well, I've never misplaced my land line. My land line never requires charging. My land line never loses signal. My land line isn't subject to the whim of over-sensitive inbuilt technology. I don't NEED for my land line to take photographs, nor do I need it to post to Facebook. If power goes out my land line can continue to function, whereas without a means to recharge that fancy iPhone... I'm fucked in a day.

For these reasons, and probably a whole bunch I haven't even thought of, I don't think land lines are going anywhere.

• Upvote 1

It's entirely possible that I can be proven wrong about this and a whole lot of other stuff beside. Wouldn't be the first time, wouldn't be the last time. I'm not one of those sorts who has a pathological need to always be right... I welcome correction, in fact, since it expands my knowledge rather than perpetuates my ignorance :) Being wrong is nothing to be embarrassed or ashamed about.

Having said that, I don't think I'm wrong about the land line thing.

I'm going to estimate that I have around... quick count in my head here... around a dozen devices in the house that could, realistically, take the place of a landline phone. Some of which do exactly that.

Rather than get rid of the landline, we actually had to add a second line purely for business a couple of years back, so now we have two landlines in the house. Personal and work.

The intrinsic problem with people announcing the death of a system is that this prediction is predicated upon the necessity that the system in question is incapable of adapting, or that the system doing the replacing is financially as economical, and, more importantly renders that system technologically redundant.

TV was going to render radio and the cinema obsolete. There were to be no more movie theatres since we'd all have one in our homes. In reality TV offers entertainment but is impractical in terms of mobility. You can't safely drive and watch TV, but you can listen to the radio. Radios have adapted to fill those niches where it is still more practical, and television hasn't rendered radio obsolete. Had radio technology suddenly frozen when TV first came out, then sure, radio might have become a relic of the past.

EMail was going to replace snailmail. Didn't happen... you could probably do a good job of detailing the whys and hows yourself.

Now, on the flip side, horse-drawn ploughs have disappeared because motorised farm equipment does EXACTLY the job of the horse and plough. There's no way of adapting the horse and plough to perform a task that the motorised version can't, and so it was inevitable that (in the industrialised states) the horse and plough was goosed.

Does the land line fulfill any of the tasks that 4g can't?

Well, I've never misplaced my land line. My land line never requires charging. My land line never loses signal. My land line isn't subject to the whim of over-sensitive inbuilt technology. I don't NEED for my land line to take photographs, nor do I need it to post to Facebook. If power goes out my land line can continue to function, whereas without a means to recharge that fancy iPhone... I'm fucked in a day.

For these reasons, and probably a whole bunch I haven't even thought of, I don't think land lines are going anywhere.

'sTruth Kelt , too many words , I heard you the first time , you're getting high on your own supply whilst I had to retire halfway thro' reading that.

Cold calling I won't miss one bit and I'll be a nicer person without it ; the 114GBP I'll save annually , I can get a nice bottle of claret for that.

Everything is evolving , I don't see many red telephone boxes around these days , nor models with dials on. Time will tell whether the landline is a survivor or not , in the meantime , you've got yourself a tool for life , mine's going the way of the reusable condom - abuddy's happy. :)