Worst Excuse You've Heard For Supporting Another Team

The Fergie one is always funny - lets see if they still follow man u when he leaves.

i'd say thats one of the more 'normal' excuses, reasons.

certainly when it comes to supporting a foreign team.

if miller was your fav player for the dons i'm sure many people would follow any non scots team he would have joined.

take big benfica/napoli/barcelona fan riverplate78, who supports these teams for the simple reason, through maradona (and an assortment of shite argie players like aimar) they have a tenuous link to argentina.

i'd say thats one of the more 'normal' excuses, reasons.

certainly when it comes to supporting a foreign team.

if miller was your fav player for the dons i'm sure many people would follow any non scots team he would have joined.

take big benfica/napoli/barcelona fan riverplate78, who supports these teams for the simple reason, through maradona (and an assortment of shite argie players like aimar) they have a tenuous link to argentina.

there nothing normal about anyone supporting man utd just because an ex manager of your main team is there now.

Fergie was and alwasy be a legend for us but the day he left was the end of any support I'd give him.

Why do you suuport Man utd bluto?

there nothing normal about anyone supporting man utd just because an ex manager of your main team is there now.

Fergie was and alwasy be a legend for us but the day he left was the end of any support I'd give him.

Why do you suuport Man utd bluto?

id say there is plenty normal about it. if fergie joined a competitor (sco clyub) then its different.

depends how attached you become to your hero players i suppose.

support united cause i went there as a young kid with my dad, who is a fan.

• Downvote 1

What, even if you weren't old enough to remember the Fergie era at Pittodrie?

I wager for the majority it's more to do with being brought up onSky Sports in the 90's and the modern need to "support" an English team that wins trophies more than anything else.

I wouldn't even say its a modern need mate

I remember a lot of lads having an english team, some of the folk I know simply picked them at random.

the english team supporting mob don't bother me half as much as the Real or Barca fans. Now they are the ones who are brain washed by sky

id say there is plenty normal about it. if fergie joined a competitor (sco clyub) then its different.

I went to a raith rovers game as a kid with my dad, got a top and everything. I don't support raith.

I reckon those who love Real or Barca are in it for the football - know a couple of folk who just love Messi and seeing Barca play, and I can imagine it was the same with Real with Zidane etc.

I can see why someone would admire their football and why anyone would admire brilliant fitba but why all of a sudden support this team. the guys I'm referring to appear in the pubs with barca and real tops on to support "their" team, shouting and screaming at the TV.

As I've grown up, I couldn't care less who folk support in all honesty.

I wish more folk followed the Dons from this area instead of Huns / Tims but nothing I can do about it, and if they are sick enough in the head to go down the route of supporting those 2 cunts, they were never worth having in our support in the first place.

A funny one though from my point of view, I look out for Lazio's results and watch their games online when I get the chance simply because when James Richardson presented Football Italia, I used to think at the beginning they were saying 'GOOOOOOOOOOOOOLLLLL LAZIO' but this isn't the case, but it was actually Portuguese (Gola

I see what you're saying here, however say Aberdeen were succesful and more and more people turned to Aberdeen because of success, would you be saying this also? Especially if you'd turned to them also (aside from living in the area).

I don't agree with what you're saying, because their is a flip side to it, but I completely understand why you said it.

Its all about opinions mate :thumbs:

I've never understood the need for people to support a non-local side. People paying to go see Man United or Liverpool, rather than go see their local team (such as Aberdeen) makes no sense to me whatsoever.*

Primarily I'd say it's a basic, immature 'glory-hunting' thing. Like 90% of people on the west coast would rather follow the ugly sisters rather than support the club two miles down the street. It's kind of pathetic, in my opinion... but each to their own.

I've followed various teams from various sports over here, some very successful teams. I've watched the Redwings lift the Stanley Cup, the local hockey team, and felt nothing but a mild, "Oh, that's nice for them.

On the flip side of that, I've been depressed to the edge of suicide (not really, but you know what I mean) after watching a meaningless end-of-season Dons capitulation under Alex Miller.

Maybe I'm not as mercenary as some, but there's no team in existence, regardless of how rich or successful, who could replace my local team... nor elicit 1% of the emotion involved with following the club that represents you and your city. Even when you're not technically in that city any more.

Guys who support a team based upon that team's level of success are beneath contempt.

*As a qualifier, I'd add that I understand people staying away from their local team when that club is obviously ripping the piss, or treats its own fans like wankers that they can't be done with.

• Upvote 5

There's absolutely fuck all normal about it at all.

The normal reaction to Fergie leaving was to be utterly and completely pissed off, to such an extentr that you wouldn't want anything to do with Man Utd, not the complete fucking opposite.

As I've grown up, I couldn't care less who folk support in all honesty.

I'm the opposite, school days you just had banter with Huns/Tims whatever, now the older I get and further in the past those days become, the more thoroughly I despise all those north east cunts who go on about "we" this and "we" that, and "sheepshaggers", the fucking morons.

• Upvote 3