The Immeasurable Code Quintet

phoenix

phil_1_j3_by_bob_barkany.jpg

New jazz season starts tonight mostly based in the Blue Lamp but occasionally , like tonight , at the Lemon Tree. Don't think my image will appear as I've lost the knack but it isoff demon guitarist Phil Robson who was up from London with his band , the Partisans a couple of years back. Fuckin' immense !

His new band might be a bit more lyrical/romantic , d'a ken really , but I'll be going along.....and not just for the beer/wine !

Phil Robson's Immeasurable Code Quintet.

British guitarist Phil Robson reintroduces the classy Anglo-American band that briefly toured and recorded this material in the UK last January. Commissioned by Derby Jazz (Robson's home town), this music is a deft postbop confection powerfully performed by that patiently inquisitive, cool school-inspired US saxophonist Mark Turner, with UK flute virtuoso Gareth Lockrane, bassist Michael Janisch, drummer Ernesto Simpson and the ever-subtle leader on guitar. Turner's soft-blown sax and Lockrane's pure tone and agility make a distinctive front-line sound with Robson's pliable chording beneath. The rhythm section's spark and bounce keep the mix bubbling on extended solos. Unlike a lot of sax experts, Mark Turner always sounds like a man considering his next move with care, but his restraint inspires expectation and his solos are awesomely lateral constructions. Low-end flute musings over arco-bass drones become swaying tenor sax/flute dances barged into by rock-guitar chords. Smoky jazz waltzes become delicious contrapuntal improvisations for Turner and Lockrane, and the title track is like flute morse-code over hard-hit percussion. Sparingly applied abstract guitar effects are met by Led Bib-like crunching. There's mellow guitar and misty-reeds balladeering, a Latin-driven drums showcase for the exciting Simpson, and a playful time-juggling miniature on Happy Talk, the only cover.

I ken that's a bit 'Guardian' but it should rock wi' a bit o' added subtlety.

Ye dig ?