Everyone Back For Corners

I can only assume that this week in training, they had abody attacking for the set pieces and they forgot to look at the defending side. It was patheticly poor for all 3 goals conceded.

Equally bizarre to us not having anyone stay up was us not putting Considine up for various corners yesterday. He must be in amongst our tallest players and has a good record of goals from set pieces. Makes more sense having him up than Stephen Hughes...

I can only assume that this week in training, they had abody attacking for the set pieces and they forgot to look at the defending side. It was patheticly poor for all 3 goals conceded.

Equally bizarre to us not having anyone stay up was us not putting Considine up for various corners yesterday. He must be in amongst our tallest players and has a good record of goals from set pieces. Makes more sense having him up than Stephen Hughes...

Probably left him back as Motherwell kept 2 up, meaning we had 3 back!

Would love to hear Brown's reasoning for this.

I remember Calderwood was once asked about it and he said "I don't tell them to do it"... :suicide:

Leave two up front and out wide...that way, the opposition have to spread three defenders across the pitch to cover.

What good do the likes of McGinn & Fraser do at corners anyway?

And get men on BOTH posts.

Drives me mad when we get 11 men behind the ball at corners.

What if Langfield takes the cross, or the ball gets hoofed clear? With two men up, at least we can challenge for the ball instead of no pressure on the ball and it comes straight back on top of you.

Fuck off Craig Brown.

Time's up.

When's the last time he managed a team to victory at Pittodrie?!....

whenever i work with a team, one of the 1st things i make sure they do is know which 3 stay up. at most levels you can get away with having a basic understanding of defending set pieces because the attacking team is dependant on delivery being good, movement being good, and the defenders not being switched on.

so within reason, the more players you leave to counter attack, the less of their players can go forward meaning the chances of the ball finding one of their players is reduced.

having said that, martin o'neil always takes all 11 men back. find me footage of the last time one of his sides conceded a goal from a corner. just doenst happen because he gets them perfectly organised.

Considine being left back for set pieces certainly a baffler but if put him forward then maybe actually get one of our set pieces into box. Our corners and free kicks were horrendous.

Aye, I know that is why we kept 3 back, I'd just have Considine as the last of the defenders we have just now to select to stay back. I know Anderson can get on the end of a corner but I can't remember him being near one since his return. Considine on the other hand has had a reasonable goalscoring record over the last couple of seasons from set-pieces. I'd have him in there every time. If Jack and Reynolds are there, I don't see why Hughes, Rae or Osbourne couldn't be told to stay back to get our bigger guys in.

Aye, I know that is why we kept 3 back, I'd just have Considine as the last of the defenders we have just now to select to stay back. I know Anderson can get on the end of a corner but I can't remember him being near one since his return. Considine on the other hand has had a reasonable goalscoring record over the last couple of seasons from set-pieces. I'd have him in there every time. If Jack and Reynolds are there, I don't see why Hughes, Rae or Osbourne couldn't be told to stay back to get our bigger guys in.

Yeah good point.

Yesterday, there was 1 corner when we were 3-1 down I think. McGinn stood round the centre-circle clearly recognising we needed someone up given we were chasing the game. Knox then waved him into the box, so one of the Motherwell centre backs followed him in.

What use does that serve? Having McGinn defending a corner is next to pointless in itself, but when his presence encourages a big opposition defender who looked like he could be handy at set-pieces to head in too then it is inexusable.

Brown's 'reasoning' that he trotted out to the EE last season, that 'Fergie does it', is also horseshit. I've seen Utd a few times since and they do occasionally bring everyone back but it's certainly not everytime, not even close.

• Site Sponsor

Would love to hear Brown's reasoning for this.

I remember Calderwood was once asked about it and he said "I don't tell them to do it"... :suicide:

He actually said "Jamie likes it" to which I said "Whose the boss?" Didnae get a reply!

Only time we should ever have 11 men back for a corner is when we're winning with minutes to go & the opposing team are pushing all out for an equaliser.

But problem is that Brown treats 0-0 (or similar) almost like us being in a winning position & therefore tries to defend this at all costs.

He will never change NEVER. Canny teach an old dog an all that