What Do You Desire?

looksgoodinred

an oddly compelling and short (just over three minute) lecture from the late Alan Watts. he asks one to think about the answer to the question: what would you be doing if money were no object?

he makes the point that it's better to have a short life that is full of what you like doing, than a long life spent in a miserable way. and i'd agree as far as that goes. but he also suggests that you'd be better spent working at something you love, at whatever the wage, than doing something that brings you no joy (but is done for the pay). i know that's what i advised my own son at various points. but is it really true? or can you use the (possibly) larger wage earned doing something that brings no joy, to do things you desire away from work?

is there something that you'd be doing, if money were no object? or do you already do what you love?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=siu6JYqOZ0g&feature=player_embedded#!

Very interesting question LGIR.

I've been pretty lucky, I've been able to work a lot of my working life, in jobs that were also my hobbies and my passions. For a long time I climbed the ladder, and indeed earned at various points a very good living wage.

Was that good? Well no, cos I was married to a miserable greetin' faced hoor who was never happy about anything, and eventually that misery drags you down. Now don't get me wrong, there was plenty to make me happy during this time, my kids especially, but other stuff too, but none of it related to my marraige or my work, or indeed as it relates to your question, how much I earned.

As it is, on return to Aberdeen I've ended up working in another area of one of my passions (indeed I've been so lucky, I'm expecting a late call to be Ron Jeremy's stunt double, such is the nature of my hobby/work convergence) and for a horrendous rate of pay.

So am I happy with that? Well I was, such was my joy at escaping from the lunatic, and indeed working closely in an area that was my over-riding hobby, however you have to be able to live, and while I no longer give a stuff about climbing the corporate pole, having a flashy car, or a big hacienda in northfield, I have to be able to buy my supper.

So there is a minimum wage right enough, but at present, give me

I desire Craig Leviens P45!

I'd dance with joy if something bad happened to him.

That's just how I feel.

Send me to jail for voicing that opinion, British 'Justice' System.

Oh, you can't, because I don't fucking live in your backwards fucking society.

"That man said something annoying. Let's send him to prison"

:clangers:

So many people live to retire. I used to pity them. These days, my sympathy goes on real issues as and when they occur. Alan Watts speaks the truth. The fact that a very small minority of the worlds population has found this truth doesn't make it less true. You make your own luck in life. You won't find any if you're not true to yourself. A man's face has his life written on it. Most men are hideously ugly as most men have been pursuing the wrong things. They know deep down that they are living wrong. Their instincts, the quality they suppress, gnaws at them. To kid oneself that they're only doing it for the money so that they can enjoy their retirement is a lie. They despise their later years because they despised the journey in getting there.

+1

Some profound shit there Rocket min.

So many people live to retire. I used to pity them. These days, my sympathy goes on real issues as and when they occur. Alan Watts speaks the truth. The fact that a very small minority of the worlds population has found this truth doesn't make it less true. You make your own luck in life. You won't find any if you're not true to yourself. A man's face has his life written on it. Most men are hideously ugly as most men have been pursuing the wrong things. They know deep down that they are living wrong. Their instincts, the quality they suppress, gnaws at them. To kid oneself that they're only doing it for the money so that they can enjoy their retirement is a lie. They despise their later years because they despised the journey in getting there.

My face totally captures the emotion Fuck It and Fuck Them.Life's a bitch and then yer deid!

So nearly right Rocket min. So many do, I used to be one of them, now I pity them.

It's become more marked since I was made redundant a few years back admittedly, but the beginning of an epiphany occurred while working in the IoM, our head chef, who was the gripiest bastard I'd ever come across, was expounding on his theories on life one evening, when the classic line of "you can't take it with you, you should enjoy yourself" came along. And due to the sayer of said line, the penny dropped, he was a living example of someone who was trying to take as much with him as he could.

I then put 2+2 together and realised, with my family history (both sides), a heart attack <60 is an almost certainty, so fucking spend it while I'm still alive, and so I have been, havn't contributed to a pension for years, spent most of my money over the last decade, and basically enjoyed myself like I havn't done since I got married.

So nearly right Rocket min. So many do, I used to be one of them, now I pity them.

It's become more marked since I was made redundant a few years back admittedly, but the beginning of an epiphany occurred while working in the IoM, our head chef, who was the gripiest bastard I'd ever come across, was expounding on his theories on life one evening, when the classic line of "you can't take it with you, you should enjoy yourself" came along. And due to the sayer of said line, the penny dropped, he was a living example of someone who was trying to take as much with him as he could.

I then put 2+2 together and realised, with my family history (both sides), a heart attack <60 is an almost certainty, so fucking spend it while I'm still alive, and so I have been, havn't contributed to a pension for years, spent most of my money over the last decade, and basically enjoyed myself like I havn't done since I got married.

No doubt you worked hard for it so enjoy it,it's yours after all.Why graft most of your life bringing up a family,and then worrying about them when you go?Let them stand on their ain feet.Leave enough for your funeral and fuck them.

I'd buy you a cyber-pint but you may be driving.

• Downvote 1

When you retire your body slows down and you'll die nae long after as you've got fuck all to do.

Tip for a long life - keep busy.

There are people who live their whole lives like that, just wallowing in misery, bone idle, they just let the world happen around them and play no part other than to moan like fuck to try and spread their misery to make happy folk less happy.

I hate folk like that, why bother existing just to tread water?

No doubt they'll all come popping out of the woodwork in December when we'll hear that folk spend Christmas alone and all that pish.

Boo-hoo-hoo, give me some sympathy they demand.

GTF, kill yourselves if you're that bothered about it.

Being miserable and moaning serves no purpose whatsoever.

The oldest person in the World died recently at 116. When asked what she thought contributed to her longevity she answered 'I did not eat junk food'.

The secret , altho' hardly that anymore but it's still largely ignored , of health and happiness is governed by what we eat and drink.....everything else is secondary to this.

Ergo.....happiness is within most people's reach except for the unfortunate starving and it seems that some of the wealthiest nations have a higher than average amount of depressed citizens.

I'm well paid for what I do.

It doesn't excite me or make me leap out of bed with joy every morning however I dinna really take work seriously and I doubt I ever will.

I'm professional and I do what I need to do here but as soon as the clock hits 5pm I'm off and work is the furthest thing from my thoughts.

It's just a means to an end.

What happens after 5pm and at the weekends is where 99% of my energy goes.

I'm well paid for what I do.

It doesn't excite me or make me leap out of bed with joy every morning however I dinna really take work seriously and I doubt I ever will.

I'm professional and I do what I need to do here but as soon as the clock hits 5pm I'm off and work is the furthest thing from my thoughts.

It's just a means to an end.

What happens after 5pm and at the weekends is where 99% of my energy goes.

This!! :applause:

I would love to jack it in and do something i loved but I'm a realist. I want the money to fund a nice standard of living for my family. For what I'm paid it'd have to be a hell of a hobby! I would ask...why should I bring a kiddie into the world to struggle just because dad wants to spend his days essentially faffing when I could sacrifice a little, earn a decent living and let them experience things they might otherwise miss out on? :dontknow:

Great question though!

This!! :applause:

I would love to jack it in and do something i loved but I'm a realist. I want the money to fund a nice standard of living for my family. For what I'm paid it'd have to be a hell of a hobby! I would ask...why should I bring a kiddie into the world to struggle just because dad wants to spend his days essentially faffing when I could sacrifice a little, earn a decent living and let them experience things they might otherwise miss out on? :dontknow:

Great question though!

Who's faffing about like? I earn a decent enough living doing the job I was born to do. If it wasn't this it would be stacking shelves in Asda because I'm qualified for fuck all else. :)

Maybe 'faffing' was the wrong word. I was picturing myself earning a pittance painting pictures that naebdy buys, growing tomatoes or generally something that was nae use to anyone except me..cos it made me happy!

One day I'll throw the anchors oot & nae bleed the oil industry dry with my ridiculous wage demands!

Ladies and Gents,

Check out "Man on Wire" on BBC iPlayer. The documentary was on TV this week and although I missed it, a mate sent me a link and I watched it this afternoon.

It's relevant to this thread by reason that he, his best mate and his ex-woman all radiate beauty from their faces, having pursued their own goals all their lives rather than be slaves to any system.

Phillipe Petit is probably one of the most beautiful men on the planet. Not physically necessarily but the beauty of his courage, his confidence, his attitude and his joie-de-vivre is utterly exceptional. To have planned and executed the high wire walk between the twin towers in 1974, years after he decided to as a child from an article about them being built is the stuff that dreams are made of, his own specifically.

Consider it a gift from me to you. Highly recommend.

Excellent shout, I have been recommending this to friends since I seen it a couple of years back, truly the most amazing documentary I have ever seen, the feeling he must have out on the wire that morning, wow!

an oddly compelling and short (just over three minute) lecture from the late Alan Watts. he asks one to think about the answer to the question: what would you be doing if money were no object?

Nothing too different from what I'm doing now apart from my trips abroad would be for leisure and not business.

Happy and content with what I have at my disposal at the moment. Health, wealth and happiness. What more would I wish for? :cheers: