New York

dazzy_deff

Who on here has been to New York before? Planning on taking the girlfriend next year so just been looking up flights and possible hotels. Wanting to stay as close to Times Square area as possible. Any recommendations on hotels. Would rather stay in one that comes recommended than picking a random one off a website.

Who on here has been to New York before? Planning on taking the girlfriend next year so just been looking up flights and possible hotels. Wanting to stay as close to Times Square area as possible. Any recommendations on hotels. Would rather stay in one that comes recommended than picking a random one off a website.

We've been multiple times. Fantastic city. Stay in different hotels all the time, but usually only a block or two away from Time Square.

Handy rule of thumb, as the street numbers go up the general level of safety goes down.

Ended up staying a night in Harlem out of desperation, because every hotel we called was booked.

Don't stay in Harlem. Or go to Harlem.

Definitely go to the Village.

We've been multiple times. Fantastic city. Stay in different hotels all the time, but usually only a block or two away from Time Square.

Handy rule of thumb, as the street numbers go up the general level of safety goes down.

Ended up staying a night in Harlem out of desperation, because every hotel we called was booked.

Don't stay in Harlem. Or go to Harlem.

Definitely go to the Village.

Sound mate cheers. Are most hotels in that area OK, or is there any you would recommend we avoid?

Last time we were there we stayed at a place called The Paramount. Nice hotel, close to Times Square... definitely a very short walk.

There are some chain hotels in the area inna. Your best bet is to do a search on hotels in the area for the specific date you'll be there. They can be pretty pricey, and obviously the further you get from downtown the cheaper they'll be.

We've usually tried to be there when there are parades or festivals going on, but again, hotels will be scarce when there are festivals, and the price of a hotel room can get silly.

They have an annual Gay Pride Parade. Seen that a couple of times, can't recommend it enough. Seriously, it's magic.

There are open air markets in The Village selling pretty much everything. They're well worth a gander.

The subway is also pretty safe if you dinna fancy dealing with cabbies, although you need to be up for paying attention to your stops on the Subway, whereas in a cab you just have to deal with a stinky Iranian driver who yells at you and traffic pretty much non-stop for the entire journey.

Try not to stay anywhere higher than West 116th would be my advice when booking a hotel ;)

Put it this way, up there the streets start having names like Martin Luther King and Malcolm X.

I'm assuming you're a white-face

Aye Dazzy as Kelt says you can't go wrong if staying in Manhattan. I stayed at the Grand Hyatt which is part of the Grand Central train station, the main station in Manhattan, which connects you to all the other boroughs of the state and to other cities in the country.

Times Square was just about a 10 minute walk and all the other landmarks are in close proximity too. Your missus will have a feel time with the shopping that's for sure.

Last time we were there we stayed at a place called The Paramount. Nice hotel, close to Times Square... definitely a very short walk.

There are some chain hotels in the area inna. Your best bet is to do a search on hotels in the area for the specific date you'll be there. They can be pretty pricey, and obviously the further you get from downtown the cheaper they'll be.

We've usually tried to be there when there are parades or festivals going on, but again, hotels will be scarce when there are festivals, and the price of a hotel room can get silly.

They have an annual Gay Pride Parade. Seen that a couple of times, can't recommend it enough. Seriously, it's magic.

There are open air markets in The Village selling pretty much everything. They're well worth a gander.

The subway is also pretty safe if you dinna fancy dealing with cabbies, although you need to be up for paying attention to your stops on the Subway, whereas in a cab you just have to deal with a stinky Iranian driver who yells at you and traffic pretty much non-stop for the entire journey.

Try not to stay anywhere higher than West 116th would be my advice when booking a hotel ;)

Put it this way, up there the streets start having names like Martin Luther King and Malcolm X.

I'm assuming you're a white-face

Whiter than a baker's shite Ke1t.

Aye Dazzy as Kelt says you can't go wrong if staying in Manhattan. I stayed at the Grand Hyatt which is part of the Grand Central train station, the main station in Manhattan, which connects you to all the other boroughs of the state and to other cities in the country.

Times Square was just about a 10 minute walk and all the other landmarks are in close proximity too. Your missus will have a feel time with the shopping that's for sure.

Unless you stay in Harlem. You would be going wrong if you did that I reckon.

I've been a couple of times, mid town is probably the best area to stay.

Last time I went I stayed in The Peninsula, up near Central Park. Frank Sinatra used to stay there and it had a roof top bar looking down 5th Avenue. Was amazing but not cheap.

Been there twice - stay in Manhattan. As close to Times Square as possible. We stayed in the holiday inn first time around, and in a crappy hostel close to Harlem next. Hotel every time.

Everyone expects a tip. So have a lot of dollar bills ready.

Go on the bus tour, you'll never have time to see everything, but stop in the village and go to the gas light, incredible place with tons of history, and the start of beatnik culture in America, Think they still have open mic nights where it's great fun and a real mix of characters.

Go to a Yankees game, but arrive 3hrs early, go to bars around and soak up the atmosphere, I wasn't a huge fan of baseball, and don't follow it closely as much anyone, but being at the games an incredible experience.

Stayed in the Red Roof Inn in mid town (one block from empire state building n Macy's) back in 2005. Red roof r a budget chain in America, place was decent, cheap n clean, nothing fancy tho.

Wherever u end up staying head down to Bleecker street on the Friday or Sat nite, Red Lion was great.

Stayed in the Red Roof Inn in mid town (one block from empire state building n Macy's) back in 2005. Red roof r a budget chain in America, place was decent, cheap n clean, nothing fancy tho.

Wherever u end up staying head down to Bleecker street on the Friday or Sat nite, Red Lion was great.

This is actually sound advice.

If you're on a budget stay at a chain hotel rather than some independent place.

Staying at Joe's Hotel for 40 bucks a night is asking for trouble.

And cockroaches.

Red Roof, Super 8, Microtel... all legit, clean and well priced.

Nowadays we tend to stay in idiotic hotels because the wife thinks she's a fucking princess.

I'd rather sleep in a Red Roof than a Hilton any day of any week.

Been there twice - stay in Manhattan. As close to Times Square as possible. We stayed in the holiday inn first time around, and in a crappy hostel close to Harlem next. Hotel every time.

Everyone expects a tip. So have a lot of dollar bills ready.

Go on the bus tour, you'll never have time to see everything, but stop in the village and go to the gas light, incredible place with tons of history, and the start of beatnik culture in America, Think they still have open mic nights where it's great fun and a real mix of characters.

Go to a Yankees game, but arrive 3hrs early, go to bars around and soak up the atmosphere, I wasn't a huge fan of baseball, and don't follow it closely as much anyone, but being at the games an incredible experience.

Sadly when i went the season hadn't started yet, same as the NBA. Went up to the Bronx to see Yankee Stadium and the security guy there was a fucking cunt. All i wanted to do was take some photos from outside but he prevented me from doing it. I was like "aye it's ok, i'll just fly over from Scotland again next week" :rolleyes:

I stayed in the same hotel Oddjob when the missus and i went over for New Years 2006.

Decent hotel.

The first time i visited New York was with my mates and we rented an apartment for 10 days.

Good value.

It was a 2 bedroom with a sofa bed in the living room.

It was just of 8th Ave West 22nd iirc.

Great city and i want to visit again.

Fucking great place New York... I actually usually stay in Hoboken which is across the river in New Jersey - If you're a bit flush I can heartily recommend the W Hotel there - and it's just a 15 minute Subway ride to the centre of town.

Hoboken's fucking ace - nice bars, great food, coffee shops, little boutiquey places - clearly you want to be in the city for shopping, and other shit but Hoboken is ace... I'd move there if I could.

Waldorf Astoria looks nae bad.

It's nice but you get more bang for your buck elsewhere.

We stayed there for our first week of our honeymoon and although there is the whole "You're staying at the Waldorf?" thing that Americans seemed to lap up you'd get a far nicer and bigger room if you came down a level of grandness and upgraded your room.

Room was spot on and a decent size but I'd have had a bigger room or even a suite if I'd stayed somewhere not quite so grand.

Difficult to describe what I mean properly but I guess what it comes down to is that a suite in a 4 star+ hotel would be a better option that a room in a 5 star as New York hotels of that standing are pretty much spot on bar the odd one out.

we stayed in a Hilton Hotel which was in the same street as the waldorf astoria and round the corner fae the Plaza Hotel (of home alone 2 fame). any hotel in that vicinity is top notch. and a great wee area, less than 5 mins walk to Times Square and the same to Central Park. and all the top shoppin places are in walking distance aswell if yer missus fancies that shite. loads of cool restaraunts bars and lubs around aswell. great place!

We checked in at the Plaza one the first night of the first trip. We left within an hour due to it looking run down and the concierge called his mate at the Times Sq. Marriott and got us a deal in there.

Would avoid the Plaza like the plague.

ah no way, that sucks. wudv thought it to be better than that like. we only walked into the concierge and did the same kinda wee tour as kevin mccallister did, just cos it had to be done.

my cousin stayed in that marriot last year, said it was top notch aye?

theres an amaaaaazin Italian restaraunt in Times Square, Olive Garden, i think its a chain in america. either way it was excellent. highly recommend it.

Was in NY this summer, absolutely love the place but hotels cost a fortune.

Stayed first few nights at Park Central Hotel which is in between Times Square and Central Park. Pretty nice hotel, if go through Tripadvisor it had a 40% off code (seems to end Dec 2012 but I think can pick up other codes for next year):

http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Hotel_Review-g60763-d93520-Reviews-Park_Central-New_York_City_New_York.html

Stayed the last few nights over in Long Island City as hotel was a lot cheaper:

The hotel isn't in the nicest of areas but was only a couple subway stops away from Times Sq and handy for visiting Queens, Brooklyn, Williamsburg etc.

http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Hotel_Review-g48080-d1114169-Reviews-Verve_Hotel_An_Ascend_Collection-Long_Island_City_New_York.html

Found a few amazing places to eat on 9th Av near 45th St (I think) - Empanada Mama and another mexican restaurant just beside it

ah no way, that sucks. wudv thought it to be better than that like. we only walked into the concierge and did the same kinda wee tour as kevin mccallister did, just cos it had to be done.

my cousin stayed in that marriot last year, said it was top notch aye?

theres an amaaaaazin Italian restaraunt in Times Square, Olive Garden, i think its a chain in america. either way it was excellent. highly recommend it.

Yea we were so disappointed with it. Apparently it had been bought over and was soon to get converted into flats? The staff didn't care about their jobs but were delighted to sort you out somewhere else so happy enough.

Marriott was cool. Amazing location. Our room had excellent views and we got a kick out of the rotating restaurant's novelty factor when we went for brunch.

Been to NYC 3 times in recent years - stayed twice at the Edison Hotel and once at the Wellington Hotel.

Edison is literally a 20 second walk from Times Square and a brilliant location. Not a fancy hotel, but clean, a shower, a bed - its all you need as you will be out 90% of the time anyway.

http://www.edisonhotelnyc.com/

Going to go back next year again - and will stay there again.

Me personally, i'd avoid staying around Times Square. It's just so fecking busy and you really only need to see it once, not every day when you leave the hotel room.

Obviously, you'd want to do all the standard sights through the day but eating/drinking wise i'd rather be in Greenwich Village, Upper West Side, Upper East Side, Williamsburg, Lower East Side, Park Slope etc.

Me personally, i'd avoid staying around Times Square. It's just so fecking busy and you really only need to see it once, not every day when you leave the hotel room.

Obviously, you'd want to do all the standard sights through the day but eating/drinking wise i'd rather be in Greenwich Village, Upper West Side, Upper East Side, Williamsburg, Lower East Side, Park Slope etc.

We went to NYC for the first time in July and i would agree with this.

Times Square is mental almost 24hrs a day. non stop bedlam. Each to their own like but after seeing the crowds in Times Sq im glad we were out the way.

We stayed in the Waldorf Astoria. Hotel itself was a bit above our usual pick. Pricey bar and felt a bit out of our league in there. We got a good deal on it though so not complaining.

Going back same time next year and this time staying across from the Waldorf in the Marriott. That whole midtown part of Manhattan is amazing. Plenty places to eat, bars etc right outside your hotel.

All the main places were within walking distance and we hoofed it everywhere. Took in alot more walking about. We did get a 48hr hop on / hop off bus pass though. I would highly recommend this. You can just hop on the open top buses and they take you to all the major attractions. Saves you having to fuck about with cabs.

Times sq I thought was a quite tacky. All your usual tourist tat and black dudes hassling you to buy there hip hop albums at every street corner! We enjoyed down in the village more. cool little bars / places to eat and its not so crowded. Depends what your into of course.

Cant wait to go back. Most amazing city I have ever seen.

We did get a 48hr hop on / hop off bus pass though. I would highly recommend this. You can just hop on the open top buses and they take you to all the major attractions.

Agree with this - pre book at New York Sightseeing Tours. Best way to get around. Also, the night tour is great.