I'm No Good At Funerals.

Ke1t

I can respect that.

This might sound like a daft question at best or morbid at worst but; in the unfortunate event that someone you are close to (parents aside), passes away,

how do you say 'goodbye', in a manner of speaking?

I would go to their funeral, but it's never happened yet, all my pals are still alive.

• Downvote 1

I can respect that.

This might sound like a daft question at best or morbid at worst but; in the unfortunate event that someone you are close to (parents aside), passes away,

how do you say 'goodbye', in a manner of speaking?

what do you mean exactly? what type of funeral/memorial service?

in the instance of my sister, we held a funeral service and then a lunch. her friends. our family. and released hundreds of balloons. not particularly environmentally-friendly, but one of her favourite things. :-)

for my mum. it was a big party in her honour a few months after she'd passed away (unfortunate timing that for another reason). my mum loved nothing more than a party, and had asked for one. so that's what she got. lots of good food and drinks, friends, laughter and stories (an upside to waiting a bit til the actual shock/grief of someone dying has disspitated somewhat).

I can't say I'm morbid about death at all.

The only time a death is a shock is if it involves a young person and happens in a sudden, unexpected manner.

I really dinna understand folk who get beside themselves when their granny dies.

If old folk die, they've had a good innings, they canna complain, the funeral should be upbeat.

Instead you get folk wailing their eyes out like it's unfair or something.

I can't understand that.

what do you mean exactly? what type of funeral/memorial service?

in the instance of my sister, we held a funeral service and then a lunch. her friends. our family. and released hundreds of balloons. not particularly environmentally-friendly, but one of her favourite things. :-)

for my mum. it was a big party in her honour a few months after she'd passed away (unfortunate timing that for another reason). my mum loved nothing more than a party, and had asked for one. so that's what she got. lots of good food and drinks, friends, laughter and stories (an upside to waiting a bit til the actual shock/grief of someone dying has disspitated somewhat).

That's a good point. For an older person ( I do not imply your mother here), a funeral can be like a celebration of their life especially if, as you mentioned it suits their personality and what they would have wanted.

Correspondingly, when my niece passed away aged two (complications from birth) that was the worst two to three hours I've probably ever experienced and I feel like selfish c*nt for even thinking that in comparison to what her parents were going through.

Anyway Kelts orignal post was much more lighthearted than this so on a slightly brighter note I suppose it's the same in sports when an older figure dies and they get a minutes applause as a celebration of what they did but if it's a younger person then a minutes silence is better and more meaningful, I think.

That's a good point. For an older person ( I do not imply your mother here), a funeral can be like a celebration of their life especially if, as you mentioned it suits their personality and what they would have wanted.

Correspondingly, when my niece passed away aged two (complications from birth) that was the worst two to three hours I've probably ever experienced and I feel like selfish c*nt for even thinking that in comparison to what her parents were going through.

Anyway Kelts orignal post was much more lighthearted than this so on a slightly brighter note I suppose it's the same in sports when an older figure dies and they get a minutes applause as a celebration of what they did but if it's a younger person then a minutes silence is better and more meaningful, I think.

my mom was 75. so fairly good innings i guess. no worries. :cheers:

so Kelt.. has the missus found your story of yesterday funny, as it's now today? :)

That was awesome Kelt! hysterical.gif

As for funerals they are different things to different people. To me last thing I'd want is some old cunt tutting at someone for laughing or some minister talking about god. It's for the folk left really be as well have a party. If my brother or whoever stood up and said "He was always a bit of a cunt", there was a load of bevy for a party I'd be happy with that (though dead so kinda like a table being happy).

• Upvote 1

I can't say I'm morbid about death at all.

The only time a death is a shock is if it involves a young person and happens in a sudden, unexpected manner.

I really dinna understand folk who get beside themselves when their granny dies.

If old folk die, they've had a good innings, they canna complain, the funeral should be upbeat.

Instead you get folk wailing their eyes out like it's unfair or something.

I can't understand that.

Agree with this.

You fucked that up as well.