Ripping Out A Fireplace

DD1903

The mrs and I are debating ripping out the minging fireplace we inherited when we bought the house. Thinking of doing it ourselves to save some cash...is it relatively easy to do, or a big job?

How much of it are you planning ripping out?Is there a back boiler involved?What do you plan to replace the fucker with?Any plastering can be a cunt DD1903 and the whole exercise can be messy if the wife is involved. Physically and emotionally.

How much of it are you planning ripping out?Is there a back boiler involved?What do you plan to replace the fucker with?Any plastering can be a cunt DD1903 and the whole exercise can be messy if the wife is involved. Physically and emotionally.

No back boiler involved. The folk before us took the fire they had in and left the surround. It's a horrid, horrid stone clad thing with a granite hearth. Looks like it might be attached to the wall with cement

Ps probably going to plaster the wall/gap (I can do that) just now until we decide on what type of fireplace we like.

No back boiler involved. The folk before us took the fire they had in and left the surround. It's a horrid, horrid stone clad thing with a granite hearth. Looks like it might be attached to the wall with cement

Ps probably going to plaster the wall/gap (I can do that) just now until we decide on what type of fireplace we like.

If it is just for decorative purposes you'll have a gas. :)

I moved in to a new place a few months ago which had a rank concrete fireplace in. I've not finished the living room yet but I had fun with a sledgehammer destroying and removing it. Almost broke my back trying to lift the bugger into a skip though. It has a back boiler too which I am just leaving in place for now as the fireplace will remain empty whilst we save up some more cash. I got a fine chap from here in to replaster around the mess I left.

I'm in the process of building a new hearth and surround/mantelpiece just now to finish it off and make it look pretty.

• Upvote 1

I moved in to a new place a few months ago which had a rank concrete fireplace in. I've not finished the living room yet but I had fun with a sledgehammer destroying and removing it. Almost broke my back trying to lift the bugger into a skip though. It has a back boiler too which I am just leaving in place for now as the fireplace will remain empty whilst we save up some more cash. I got a fine chap from here in to replaster around the mess I left.

I'm in the process of building a new hearth and surround/mantelpiece just now to finish it off and make it look pretty.

Sledgehammer?!Now we're talking hope! I'm def doing this now!

How long did it take you?

Not long to destroy/yank off the wall, tidying up the mess was a pain in the hoop! Only an hour or two and it was gone.

2uj02fc.jpg

Nice. I can cope with that, was thinking it might be an all day job. Your fire looks about the same size as mine as well.

Mine is uglier though!

That tv is massive.

You seem to be watching Coronation Street or something.

MT is currently fuming as someone has managed to get a 'huger' tv than him.

Sledgehammer?!Now we're talking hope! I'm def doing this now!

How long did it take you?

Do it methodically with a 2lb mash hammer and a bolster to dismantle the Fifestone?Fireplace.

Not forgetting to have your good lady to run the debri outside while you carry on with the more intricate procedure.

Please don't forget to have a great number of cauld yins in the fridge as the dust will give you a bigger drooth than a packet of dry Jacobs Crackers.

In case Boof is reading,remember to wear your p.p gear and have a signed method of statement nailed to the front door.

I find 3-4am is the best time to carry out this type of work as you don't get distracted with phones and doorbells ringing and you can dump the rubble in various wheelie-bins up and doon the street.

Do it methodically with a 2lb mash hammer and a bolster to dismantle the Fifestone?Fireplace.

Not forgetting to have your good lady to run the debri outside while you carry on with the more intricate procedure.

Please don't forget to have a great number of cauld yins in the fridge as the dust will give you a bigger drooth than a packet of dry Jacobs Crackers.

In case Boof is reading,remember to wear your p.p gear and have a signed method of statement nailed to the front door.

I find 3-4am is the best time to carry out this type of work as you don't get distracted with phones and doorbells ringing and you can dump the rubble in various wheelie-bins up and doon the street.

Only if your house is your workplace. At home anything goes.

All sound advice there jigot!