Full-Time Use Of A Cloud

looksgoodinred

I know there are lots of computer sorts here. So am hoping, if anyone knows of any, it would be you guys. I've been looking at implementing a cloud full-time to improve access/back-up of files and apps. There don't really seem to be any downsides from my perspective, other than possibly the cost of the private cloud infrastructure and fibre-optic connections (which is offset in part by not having to maintain multiple servers, back-up equipment, and providing better access to central files).

Am I missing something really obvious?

I have huge problems with 'The Cloud', which is basically a fancy advertising way of talking about what we used to call X-Drives.

I have redundant drives for backing up data, and I'll never need access to 'The Cloud' to get to it.

I just bought a 3TB external drive for 129 buck, under a hundred quid in real money. Physical storage is so cheap that you never really need to use online storage unless it's some proprietary method by the manufacturer of whatever software you're using.

• Admin

Always keep local copies. The cloud can be fine for convenience, being able to access stuff where ever you are is handy, but who says Amazon's data center won't burn down? Or Dropboxes' hacked? Will your cloud provider still be here in 18 months?

It's all about redundancy. Keep a local and cloud backup if you're going down that route.

A few terabytes cost nothing these days.

I just bought a 3TB external drive for 129 buck, under a hundred quid in real money. Physical storage is so cheap that you never really need to use online storage unless it's some proprietary method by the manufacturer of whatever software you're using.

There's definitely a place for the cloud. If your house burns down or someone breaks into your home and takes everything, even your backups you've got no comeback from that.

• Upvote 1

I have huge problems with 'The Cloud', which is basically a fancy advertising way of talking about what we used to call X-Drives.

I have redundant drives for backing up data, and I'll never need access to 'The Cloud' to get to it.

thanks Kelt. i have redundant drives too, and a great back-up system. and plenty of server space for the time being. the problem i was mostly trying to solve by using a cloud was access to central files from a variety of remote locations. i've used VPNs into the main server, but it's not without downsides as well. what kind of huge problems have you had with a cloud, if i can ask?

thanks Kelt. i have redundant drives too, and a great back-up system. and plenty of server space for the time being. the problem i was mostly trying to solve by using a cloud was access to central files from a variety of remote locations. i've used VPNs into the main server, but it's not without downsides as well. what kind of huge problems have you had with a cloud, if i can ask?

I'm probably not being clear here... to clarify, I haven't had problems with the cloud. For most people it's probably a convenience (so long as it works), because most people don't have their own server.

My problems with The Cloud are more in terms of privacy, security, and accessibility. Not just from hackers, but the people running online storage themselves.

I wouldn't trust corporations any further than I could throw them. Apple's notorious for taking data and not telling you for what purpose. You can't rely on the ethics of the likes of Microsoft or Google... shit, when Google released Chrome they had everyone who used it sign a waiver saying that anything you post using Chrome automatically becomes the property of Google.

There's also hardly a major corporation, and I include technology companies, who haven't at some time or another said, "Yeah, we've been hacked and all your data and personal information has been compromised. Oh well."

I also wouldn't trust any company not to hand over every single bit or byte of personal data to the cops or shady governmental organisation at the first request.

If I need to access stuff remotely then I'll use my own server... they're cheap as chips now inna.

I don't need to be putting reams of personal data into the hands of corporations whose own security sucks worse than my own, or who likely co-operate with government organisations on whatever illegal data-mining projects they happen to be working on.

• Upvote 1

hmm.. okay. thank you both for the feedback. :cheers:

It's all about how forgetful you are. Backed-up data is, typically, only as good as the last time you backed it up. Ask yourself the question: "Am I more likely to back-up my data than a third-party in the business of storing data?"

If the answer's yes, buy yourself a couple of HDDs and never look back. If the answer's no, then go with the Cloud. Don't forget as well that your external HDD is only as safe as your main system is whenever you connect it - doubly so if, like some, you keep external drives permanently connected.

• Upvote 1

It's all about how forgetful you are. Backed-up data is, typically, only as good as the last time you backed it up. Ask yourself the question: "Am I more likely to back-up my data than a third-party in the business of storing data?"

If the answer's yes, buy yourself a couple of HDDs and never look back. If the answer's no, then go with the Cloud. Don't forget as well that your external HDD is only as safe as your main system is whenever you connect it - doubly so if, like some, you keep external drives permanently connected.

thank you! :cheers:

Amazon's Cloud , Google's Drive , Apple's iCloud , Dropbox , 4Shared , Evernote and probably many more I don't know about yet. They all offer 5GB free as a sweetener to sucker us in and I've gone for all of these , apart from Apple's iCloud. It actually gets kinda confusing for an aul' wrinklie , remembering where I've put a'thing. A bittle like having too many email addresses.

NAS( network assisted storage ) boxes are more or less the same as having the Cloud in your own home but as bebo points out , if you are burgled or have a fire , at least your Cloud stuff is still safe.

I keep asking myself if the STUFF I've got is so precious , would it destroy me to lose it all and the answer is 'No'. This may be because I'm a lot closer to meeting my maker than you guys , we cannot take it with us.

I'm playing around in retirement putting all my music onto Amazon's Cloud , 250,000 tracks for