Biffy Clyro

tommo1903

The voice of experience, listen to it folks.

Agreed.

Apart from the jazz bit. Jazz is pish.

I am almost certain that if you could have joined me at the Blue Lamp last night tup , you would have agreed that Paul Booth(from London) is a fine purveyor of the genre. Gordon McNeil( from Dundee) is also immense , both muscular in approach and style. Booth currently guests in the Stevie Winwood Band as well as fronting his own , McNeil will be onstage at the Dundee Jazz Festival at the end of next month , onstage with the 'Dundee Horns' , Mollie Duncan and Roger Ball from the Average White Band.

You don't have to like it but these guys can play !

Your articulation of the truth was done with great skill and excellence sir.

Hey mannie, I'm a live and let live kindadude. I just don't "get" that shite. I love that comedy sketch thing where the boy goes "nice".

He was alluding to jazz types who in my shallow interpretation, like to think they're a bit different and "off the wall".

Aye, off the wa by less than one degree as they're mostly boring bastards with little sense of adventure in real terms.

Maybe there are those present who are looking for something different rocket....I don't have a problem with that. I do not even have a problem with 'pseuds' or 'wannabees' in today's parlance , we are all looking for our recreation in different arenas with differing levels of intensity.

It would not surprise me if John Fitzhisname in that jazz sketch liked his jazz.....it's only satire.....but I like it.

Not that I want to labour the point but:

cover_karma_600-300x265.jpg

'KARMA...'Best Album' at the Scottish Jazz Awards 2012

& nominated in 2012 Scottish Album of the Year Awards'

An exciting new direction for leading Scottish saxophonist, Tommy Smith's grooving rhythms mix with atmospheric textures evoking Irish, Scottish, Japanese and Arabic folk influences. The result is a major statement from an internationally renowned master.

Tommy Smith is one of Europe's greatest jazz musicians, a peerless, powerful saxophonist who moves seamlessly between the Northern European jazz of Arild Anderson with whom he plays and the big-band majesty of the Scottish National Jazz Orchestra – recently heard on tour with Kurt Elling and Bill Evans he is a constant innovator and key figure in the development of a powerful jazz scene in his native Scotland. Hailed by critics as the toughest and most creative group of his career.

Tommy Smith's KARMA sees the saxophonist exploring new sounds and atmospheric textures with a brand new band: featuring some of Scotland's finest musicians and new music focusing on the reactions of his group.

Comprising Smith on tenor and soprano saxophones plus Shakuhachi flute, mega-talented pianist and keyboardist Steve Hamilton, six string bass guitar sensation Kevin Glasgow and jetpowered drummer Alyn Cosker, KARMA presents music of gob-smacking energy and superb inventiveness.

"His toughest and most creative quartet yet"

The Scotsman

"It's quite possibly his finest recording yet"

Jazzwise

"His tone is tungsten-tough or tender and nostalgic, his improvisations stimulating and affecting"

BBC Music Magazine

Tommy Smith's Karma

Wednesday 7 November, doors 7.30pm

£15+bf

The Lemon Tree

Tommy Smith's Karma

Wednesday 7 November, doors 7.30pm 1px-pink.gif1px-pink.gif1px-pink.gif1px-pink-light.gif1px-pink.gif1px-pink.gif£15+bf

The Lemon Tree

And more again:

The Horne Section: Wisecracks, drum solos and unusual celebrity star turns.

Sounds funny: Alex Horne and The Horne Section

By ALICE JONES

Tuesday 30 October 2012

Three years ago, Alex Horne did a five-minute stand-up spot at Ronnie Scott's. It set him thinking. Comedians and jazz musicians have a lot in common, don't they? Both skilled with timing, adept at improvising and keen on, well, showing off in darkened rooms. His two best friends from school were jazz musicians and they'd been talking about working together for years. Why not combine their passions and stage a new show, one that would mix punchlines with basslines?

And so The Horne Section was born