Bloke At My Work

ChutneyLove

when i went to visit my granda after he had his, it was the worst thing ive ever seen.... going from a man who was as fit as a fiddle, to lying in the hospital be looking half the size and all curled up was heartbreaking.... unfortunetly he hasnt fully recovered but being as fit as he was before the stroke has meant that he is able to walk with the aid of a frame...

hope the guy makes a full recovery :crossfingers:

Nae good at all. What exactly is a stroke anyway? What causes it? Only thing I ken about them is how they can make one side of your body go limp.

http://www.bhf.org.uk/heart-health/conditions/stroke.aspx

Your brain needs a constant supply of blood to work properly. A stroke happens when the blood supply to part of your brain is cut off and your brain cells are damaged or die.

The two most common types of stroke are ischaemic and haemorrhagic stroke.

Nae good at all. What exactly is a stroke anyway? What causes it? Only thing I ken about them is how they can make one side of your body go limp.

women may have different symptoms than men though:

http://www.ama-assn.org/amednews/2005/05/23/hlsa0523.htm

"...much like heart attacks, how women present could play a role in higher death and disability rates. Epidemiological data suggest that women tend to take longer to get to the emergency department, if they make it there at all.

Women are more likely than men to die of stroke and have a greater degree of disability if they survive. "If women are experiencing non-traditional stroke symptoms, they may be unaware that they're having a stroke, and this may result in a delay in seeking care and getting to the hospital," said Lynda Lisabeth, PhD, the study leader and a research investigator in Michigan's neurology department. "Once at the hospital, it could actually result in a delay in getting acute stroke therapy."

One reason for the disparity may be that when women have strokes, they are more likely to experience limb pain or a decreasing sense of consciousness than the classic sudden numbness on one side of the body. Women might not take these symptoms as a need to call their primary care physicians or go to an emergency department. And once a woman with such symptoms is in contact with the health system, physicians and other health care workers might not fully appreciate the urgency.

My grandma had a stroke in 2009 and sadly passed away 5 days later, was heartbreaking seeing her in the days leading up to it. My Grandad had several earlier in the year and although he hasn't had any since it's completely affected him understandably

Hope the guy pulls through Chutney :crossfingers:

women may have different symptoms than men though:

http://www.ama-assn.org/amednews/2005/05/23/hlsa0523.htm

"...much like heart attacks, how women present could play a role in higher death and disability rates. Epidemiological data suggest that women tend to take longer to get to the emergency department, if they make it there at all.

Women are more likely than men to die of stroke and have a greater degree of disability if they survive. "If women are experiencing non-traditional stroke symptoms, they may be unaware that they're having a stroke, and this may result in a delay in seeking care and getting to the hospital," said Lynda Lisabeth, PhD, the study leader and a research investigator in Michigan's neurology department. "Once at the hospital, it could actually result in a delay in getting acute stroke therapy."

One reason for the disparity may be that when women have strokes, they are more likely to experience limb pain or a decreasing sense of consciousness than the classic sudden numbness on one side of the body. Women might not take these symptoms as a need to call their primary care physicians or go to an emergency department. And once a woman with such symptoms is in contact with the health system, physicians and other health care workers might not fully appreciate the urgency.

My wife had a mini-stroke about 10 years ago,and you're right it was a warning.She had high blood pressure and a very high cholesterol

count,conditions she didn't know she had.She'll be on pills forever and has to have regular blood tests but it's worth the hassle.

She's fighting fit and crabbit as fuck.

My old man had a stroke at Pittodrie a few years back, was just before Xmas, he was in a bad way, was in a coma for 6 weeks in intensive care then spent 7 Months in the stroke ward at Woodend, horrible place that stank of shite constantly.

He did eventually get better though, nothing like he was before but can walk short distances and chat away ok.

I think the main thing is whether it was a actual bleed in the brain like my old man or just a swelling, the latter is treatable pretty quickly.

Hope the guy at your work is ok.

my pal for whom i was the best man at his wedding just last weekend - his dad had a stroke few years back

has since had another small one and its completely changed him

he was a confident, well built maths teacher...now he cant really talk and looks so, so weak

horrible

Bet he was still deemed 'fit for work' by ATOS.

That's 2 guys had strokes while watching the Dons, just shows our pish brand of fitba is bad for your health :o

Had the unfortunate position of watching a family member die of a TIA last year but I learned a lot. The doctor who was dealing with the case explained a lot of what is going on when it happens and actually let me see the various CT scans and progression of the blood travelling through his brain. Some folk might think thats gory but I found it fascinating.

Good work Chutney, Chutney the lifesaver. Employee of the month iPod nano coming your way i reckon.

i'll have a quick stroke tonight and think about depositing deep into your beard.

To be fair all I did wascall an ambulance - took 35 minutes to arrive- I would have been more of a life-saver if I'd taken him down to the hospital masel - about a five minute drive from work. Don't know how he is, will find out on Monday.

Don't let me stop your own stroking Mr Pipes, and thinking about my beard is wrong - even if it is a delay tactic. I'm also clean shaven at the moment!

Update. After CRT and MRI scans turns out a stroke was misdiagnosis. He actually has a middle ear problem. Don't know what the fuck that is, I always thought people only had two ears (Nikki Lauda / Chopper Read / Vincent Van Gogh excepted). Must be serious though as he has been kept in hospital all weekend and still no definite release time.

Update. After CRT and MRI scans turns out a stroke was misdiagnosis. He actually has a middle ear problem. Don't know what the fuck that is, I always thought people only had two ears (Nikki Lauda / Chopper Read / Vincent Van Gogh excepted). Must be serious though as he has been kept in hospital all weekend and still no definite release time.

Aye, it affects your balance. Can get severe headaches and can totally fuck you up for a while. Supposedly you can be sitting down and feel like your on a rollercoaster.

Nae good min.

Weird that I was in this thread yesterday and discussing heart attacks / strokes.

Got a text this morning from my mum (the one day where I didn't take the car and took the bus) on my way to work - my ol' man got rushed to hospital this morning at 4am by ambulance with, well they don't know and hasn't been confirmed until my mum goes up at lunchtime and sees him, but could be a minor heart attack. Fingers crossed it isn't though, but she says he's in a lot of pain still this morning after she spoke with him a little while ago.

It must be something serious before my stubborn old man is requiring attention, he never sees anything as a problem.

Many tests still to be done today. Absolute mare, I'm at work but heeds a bit minced in all honesty.

Christ mate what the hell are you still doing at work? Surely they are telling you to get up to the hospital?

Hope everything is ok with him :crossfingers: