One World Futbol

looksgoodinred

encouraging the power of play :thumbup1:

How do you make life better for kids living in impoverished parts of the world?

As entrepreneur Tim Jahnigen told the New York Times, the first priorities have to be "food, medicine, shelter." But he adds, "for children, play is the most healing therapy."

Back in 2006, Jahnigen saw a news story about children in Darfur. It included this: kids there play soccer with balls made out of garbage and string, because they don't have access to anything else.

It's not that balls are never donated - in fact, many aid agencies and sporting goods companies send balls to impoverished areas - but the ones that are sent are designed for playing on grass. They tend to get ruined pretty fast on the rocky dirt or hard concrete where many kids play soccer.

For two years, Jahnigen looked for a material that could be made into a ball, but that wouldn't go flat, get torn, or need pumping. Then he found PopFoam, a hard foam similar to what Crocs are made out of. The material was exactly what Jahnigen was looking for. But he estimated it would cost $300,000 to figure out how to shape it into a sphere, and he just didn't have the money.

Enter: Sting. Yep, the guy who sang 'Fields of Gold' and former frontman of The Police.

Jahnigen met Sting when he worked in the music business as a lyricist. They were having breakfast together one day and the subject of the ball came up. Sting encouraged Jahnigen to focus on making it real. And when he heard how much it might cost, he offered to put up his own money.

buy one, they donate one more. i think i know what i'll add to my christmas wish list :)

http://www.oneworldfutbol.com/shop/one-world-futbol/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=wO4nz2PufzA

futbol.jpg

encouraging the power of play :thumbup1:

How do you make life better for kids living in impoverished parts of the world?

As entrepreneur Tim Jahnigen told the New York Times, the first priorities have to be "food, medicine, shelter." But he adds, "for children, play is the most healing therapy."

Back in 2006, Jahnigen saw a news story about children in Darfur. It included this: kids there play soccer with balls made out of garbage and string, because they don't have access to anything else.

It's not that balls are never donated - in fact, many aid agencies and sporting goods companies send balls to impoverished areas - but the ones that are sent are designed for playing on grass. They tend to get ruined pretty fast on the rocky dirt or hard concrete where many kids play soccer.

For two years, Jahnigen looked for a material that could be made into a ball, but that wouldn't go flat, get torn, or need pumping. Then he found PopFoam, a hard foam similar to what Crocs are made out of. The material was exactly what Jahnigen was looking for. But he estimated it would cost $300,000 to figure out how to shape it into a sphere, and he just didn't have the money.

Enter: Sting. Yep, the guy who sang 'Fields of Gold' and former frontman of The Police.

Jahnigen met Sting when he worked in the music business as a lyricist. They were having breakfast together one day and the subject of the ball came up. Sting encouraged Jahnigen to focus on making it real. And when he heard how much it might cost, he offered to put up his own money.

buy one, they donate one more. i think i know what i'll add to my christmas wish list :)

http://www.oneworldfutbol.com/shop/one-world-futbol/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=wO4nz2PufzA

futbol.jpg

Some new pans? :dontknow: