Europa & Champions Leagues To Merge?

European football's governing body Uefa is considering ditching the Europa League in favour of extending the Champions League from 32 to 64 teams.

"We're discussing it. We will make a decision in 2014. Nothing is decided yet," Uefa president Michel Platini told French newspaper Ouest-France.

It means seven English clubs and five Scottish teams could qualify for European football's elite competition.

Uefa are looking at changing the format of European competitions from 2015.

"There is an ongoing debate to determine what form the European competitions will have between 2015 and 2018," added Platini.

The former France international said he was not worried by talk of Europe's richest clubs forming a competition to rival the Champions League.

"It's a question that is regularly brought up," he said."I can't see how it could work outside the Uefa framework. Who will referee them? In what stadiums will they play?"

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/20523405

Not sure if it's a good idea, but they need to do something about the lack of interest in the Europa League.

Sounds shite to me. If they stopped the parachuting of teams from CL to EL (happens at three stages per season FFS), then the EL wouldn't be as devalued and there'd be no need for such a reshuffle. In fact, it's still a good competition even though the English media, and some clubs, treat it like it's the Intertoto.

If Platini really wants to perpetuate his Robin Hood image he should be looking at the CL and capping each national league's involvement at 2 teams.

• Upvote 1

Sounds shite to me. If they stopped the parachuting of teams from CL to EL (happens at three stages per season FFS), then the EL wouldn't be as devalued and there'd be no need for such a reshuffle. In fact, it's still a good competition even though the English media, and some clubs, treat it like it's the Intertoto.

If Platini really wants to perpetuate his Robin Hood image he should be looking at the CL and capping each national league's involvement at 2 teams.

1 team min. nae two.

IMO champions league should be for the champions of every country to play in.

then a second championship for teams as it currently is.

Something i think that needs scrapped though is seedings, obviously never going to happen as the big teams would then have a reduced chance of qualifying for the later stages, but imagine a group that had say milan, barca, man u, and bayern. every game would be meaningful and all 4 would be having to fight to win every game, instead of at the moment for lets say man u, who have already qualified with a meaningless game for them to be played before the knockout stages.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/20523405

Not sure if it's a good idea, but they need to do something about the lack of interest in the Europa League.

Oh aye, the "leagues" are fucked, interest in UEFA comps are going down the shitter, so what can we do?

I know, let's close down yet another trophy, cos no-one cares about trophies, fans just want to know how much money their clubs are making now, so we'll just have one trophy for everything. Magic.

Remember those horrible days when there used to be 3 competitions, totally unseeded, and anyone could and did win the cups? Fucking pish that eh, let's just have one massive fixed competition that is all about money, fans will lap it up.

What a bunch of cunts is what I'm trying to say :angry2:

• Upvote 1