Declan Mcmanus

Interested to hear some thoughts about the future of Declan McManus.

Right now, he's out on his own as the top scorer in the SPL U20s league:

• 15 - Declan McManus (Aberdeen)

14 - Tony Watt (Celtic)
    14 - Ricky McIntosh (St Johnstone)

11 - Daniel Handling (Hibernian)

10 - Billy King (Hearts)
    10 - Ross Caldwell (Hibernian)
    10 - Lee Erwin (Motherwell)

9 - Cameron Smith (Aberdeen)
    9 - Keiran McGachie (Motherwell)

At 18 years old, he isn't a child anymore and I'd be interested to hear why he hasn't been given a decent crack of the whip in the first team this season. Particularly given Vernons lack of form and Fallons general uselessness. In addition, the recalling of Megginson from his loan spell would appear to suggest he's just slipped even further down the pecking order.

Admittedly, I haven't seen much of the lad play... do the statistics flatter to deceive?

I'm not really sure he has anything left to prove at U20 level and it doesn't look like he'll be getting his chance in the first team anytime soon... so my preference would be to loan him out for the second half of the season. I'm sure he'll learn a lot more about the game, mixing it with seasoned, senior pros in meaningful matches. Surely it's a waste of time turning up and scoring hat tricks for the U20s all the time? At some point you need to push on and test yourself at a higher level.

Thoughts?

Admittedly, I haven't seen much of the lad play... do the statistics flatter to deceive?

Neither have we as he's hardly been given a chance. I wouldn't call last 5/10 minutes of a game a proper chance. I'd play him upfront before Fallon and Vernon anyway. They've shown they're off form. Maybe play him with Magennis who has a bit of a presence.

I certainly wouldn't put him out on loan.

I'd be looking to put Fallon out on loan instead.

No idea why Brown hasn't had more faith in him, wee run outs

in first team are no use to players.

Fallon and Vernon are not playing well and anyone perfforming well

for the youths deserves a run of games to see if they can handle it.

Neither have we as he's hardly been given a chance. I wouldn't call last 5/10 minutes of a game a proper chance. I'd play him upfront before Fallon and Vernon anyway. They've shown they're off form. Maybe play him with Magennis who has a bit of a presence.

Sorry, I mean't anyone who watches the U20s regularly....

I certainly wouldn't put him out on loan.

I'd be looking to put Fallon out on loan instead.

No idea why Brown hasn't had more faith in him, wee run outs

in first team are no use to players.

Fallon and Vernon are not playing well and anyone perfforming well

for the youths deserves a run of games to see if they can handle it.

As top scorer in the U20s, which is supposed to act as a stepping stone to the first team, most players would feel they've earned the right. For whatever reason it appears that he's not going to get this chance. It does not look like it's going to happen for him at the moment.

Therefore it's a choice between puting him out on loan, or he continues with the U20s (which is a complete waste of his time at this stage IMO).

He looks like a chicken when he runs.

Agree that he deserves more playing time though. We cant judge him on 5 minutes here and there. If hes getting that amount of goals in what is a league of actual quality, then it needs to be replicated with some serious game time in the first team.

Top scorer in last seasons u19s

Top scorer in this seasons u20s

He deserves 35 mins off the bench in at least one of the next 3 games imo. Giving him 0-5 mins is utterly pointless.

We should loan him out on deadline day if he is not being considered for a start at that point.

I agree.

Would rather he got a run than Fallon.

If he's not going to get that, loan him out to Peterhead/Montrose or whoever.

If i was consistently banging them in at U20 level and still hardly getting a sniff despite how crap we been up front then i would be looking at move elsewhere. Only natural.

Has to get chance here sooner rather than later over the not producing Fallon and Vernon.

• Site Sponsor

Interested to hear some thoughts about the future of Declan McManus.

Right now, he's out on his own as the top scorer in the SPL U20s league:

• 15 - Declan McManus (Aberdeen)

14 - Tony Watt (Celtic)
    14 - Ricky McIntosh (St Johnstone)

11 - Daniel Handling (Hibernian)

10 - Billy King (Hearts)
    10 - Ross Caldwell (Hibernian)
    10 - Lee Erwin (Motherwell)

9 - Cameron Smith (Aberdeen)
    9 - Keiran McGachie (Motherwell)

At 18 years old, he isn't a child anymore and I'd be interested to hear why he hasn't been given a decent crack of the whip in the first team this season. Particularly given Vernons lack of form and Fallons general uselessness. In addition, the recalling of Megginson from his loan spell would appear to suggest he's just slipped even further down the pecking order.

I'm not really sure he has anything left to prove at U20 level and it doesn't look like he'll be getting his chance in the first team anytime soon... so my preference would be to loan him out for the second half of the season. I'm sure he'll learn a lot more about the game, mixing it with seasoned, senior pros in meaningful matches. Surely it's a waste of time turning up and scoring hat tricks for the U20s all the time? At some point you need to push on and test yourself at a higher level.

Thoughts?

Vernon has been pish the entire season so no reason at all why the guy should not start in his place on Saturday, with Magennis in the midfield and McGinn up top instead of Fallon.

I wanted to persist with Vernon but he just cannot (it seems) adapt to the way Brown now wants to play him.

Shame cos if used right, he has proved he's a good striker but no point having him in there the way he's playing currently.

I happily see both the young strikers given a chance seen as they seem to have a wee understanding of each other. Certainly not much point having Fallon & Vernon on the park

I wanted to persist with Vernon but he just cannot (it seems) adapt to the way Brown now wants to play him.

Shame cos if used right, he has proved he's a good striker but no point having him in there the way he's playing currently.

I happily see both the young strikers given a chance seen as they seem to have a wee understanding of each other. Certainly not much point having Fallon & Vernon on the park

Dunno what the story is with Vernon but don't think it is even to do with Brown's style of play. The ball has dropped to Vernon in great positions in plenty of games this season and he has totally fecked up. I hope he gets back to his best... or even his average-ist!!

Dunno what the story is with Vernon but don't think it is even to do with Brown's style of play. The ball has dropped to Vernon in great positions in plenty of games this season and he has totally fecked up. I hope he gets back to his best... or even his average-ist!!

We've only seen Vernon performing to his average/best a couple of times this season.

The second half against St Johnstone away & his goal against Killie away.

The St Johnstone second half was fantastic from him. Not just his two goals that were taken away by poor refereeing (one certainly) but his overall work rate & performance in that half were great.

Not near enough for what was our best striker of previous seasons & I agree (now) he should be dropped, or even loaned out in Jan if we can get a replacement in.