David Begg

i have just been listening to the david begg documentry on radio scotland a commentator who im sure like many on here helped to bring many football games to life he has been ill with depression and has now retired from commentating i for one will sorely miss his instantly recognsable tones thanks for your wonderful, unbiased, work David along with the late Bob Crampsey legend of football on the airwaves

i have just been listening to the david begg documentry on radio scotland a commentator who im sure like many on here helped to bring many football games to life he has been ill with depression and has now retired from commentating i for one will sorely miss his instantly recognsable tones thanks for your wonderful, unbiased, work David along with the late Bob Crampsey legend of football on the airwaves

Great little doco... Never knew he commentated on our CWC win... The McFadden goal and many others... Piece of history !

Agreed, one of my favourite commentators and Radio Scotland won't be the same without him, even though he commentated less and less the past couple of years. Should've been given more time on TV matches IMO.

I believe this documentary will be available to listen again on BBC Scotland sport website so looking forward to giving it a listen.

Listen you 21st century dependents. This is how it works. You retort.

You say - you're being confrontational for the sake of it. That's why I say fuck all in return.

Or, you say something intelligent, like this perhaps...

Depression, like cancer, has been around for years. It's the advances in modern medicine that help the afflicted and you educate the cynics amongst us about this very real and present danger. You may even argue that it's just a chemical imbalance and therefore they are just normal people who got unlucky.

Most of all, say something. That boof cunt is incapable of saying anything but surely there's one anti-cynic who has the intelligence to articulate a point of view?

You didn't even support your own argument with any supporting evidence to why you held that view, so seems strange for you to complain when you get equally unarticulated responses. Given you've adopted a view alternate to that accepted by the majority, the onus would surely be on you to support your view.

I am sure you are right though, Prozac was developed by a pharmaceutical company who then created the fake "illness" of depression to be able to sell it. Seems illogical, but you use big words, so I think you must be right.

• Upvote 1

Can I just take this opportunity to apologise to all of you who are or who have suffered depression, who are on uppers prescribed by your doctors or who have family members who can't get out of bed and face the world because of their mental illness. My perceived insensitivity was not designed to offend. I just want to learn more about this highly expensive condition.

You're apologising for something you don't believe exists.

Brilliant. You call other people thick. :clangers2:

If you want a debate on depression start a thread on it you odious creep.

This thread is about David Begg not you trying to be a smart Alec.

• Upvote 2

Back on topic, loved listening to David Begg's commentary. I usually find Radio Scotland have better commentators than the TV, how come they never get the chance to move to the TV?

I think it's a complete different skill set Dazzy. Radio has to give you a picture in the commentary. I think the good radio guys would not like to "dumb down" and go to the easier telly gigs.

I think it's a complete different skill set Dazzy. Radio has to give you a picture in the commentary. I think the good radio guys would not like to "dumb down" and go to the easier telly gigs.

Total stab in the dark but id presume TV would be better money and more exposure too, hence more chance of progressing no??

Total stab in the dark but id presume TV would be better money and more exposure too, hence more chance of progressing no??

No idea. I'd expect so. Some folk are happier and better suited to the radio. The guy who did the rugby (Bill McClaren?) seemed to commentate the same way on TV and radio but he was the exception to the rule.