Australian Open 2013

... starts on Monday. I've been there the last two years but unfortunately I've been unable to travel over this year. :(

Nadal is still missing through injury, so Murray and Djokovic start as favourites, but Federer can't be discounted either. Difficult to read much into current form. Federer hasn't played much recently, while Murray won easily at Brisbane. Djokovic looked flat in Perth, where he was beaten by Tomic in a terrific match.

The draw is again lop-sided in Djokovic's favour. Djokovic has a clear run to the semi final, where he'll probably meet David Ferrer, against whom he has a terrific record. Over on the other side, Murray, Federer and Del Potro have been drawn together.

Murray's route to the final would probably look something like this:

R1: Haase

R2: Not sure...

R3: Stakhovsky/Mayer

R4: Simon/Dolgopolov

QF: Del Potro

SF: Federer

F: Djokovic

I'd be really surprised if we don't see a Del Potro versus Murray quarter final. The rest of their quarter looks very weak. Cilic and Giles Simon look like the only other threat - but to be honest Del Po and Murray should be far too strong for either of these guys.

Federers quarter is more interesting though. He has Bernard Tomic as a potential 3rd round opponent. Tomic has been in brilliant form this year. He beat Djokovic in Perth the other week, and he should take out his first tournament victory later on today against Kevin Anderson in Sydney. I will be having a punt on Tomic upsetting Federer depending on the available price. If Federer makes it through against Tomic, he'll have either Raonic or Tsonga in the 4th round. A lot has been said about Tomic and Raonic being the leading the lights of the new generation, but they are both now in their early 20s and they have to start delivering.

Given that Federers route to the final could be involve Tomic, Tsonga (who's given him trouble in majors in the past)/Raonic, Del Potro/Murray, it would be a tremendous achievement for him to reach the final. The weather in Melbourne has been pretty hot lately, so if he does make it to the final, you'd have to fancy a relatively comfortable Djokovic victory, as at Federers age he's likely to be completely spent.

Considering the lop-sided nature of the draw, you'd have to say it's Djokovic's title to lose this year.

On the other side of the draw, I'll be looking out for Grigor Dimitrov of Bulgaria, who is also starting to look quite handy. Again he was very highly rated as a youngster, but is also yet to deliver. Murray beat him in the final at Brisbane, but he's good enough to take out a few lesser scalps. The third round, where he'll play Tipsarevic, will be the acid test of his progress.

Can't wait for it to start, but I'm gutted to miss out this year!

What's the prices like to go to the tennis SOTR?

Massively variable. You can get a ground pass for about $35, which is brilliant value and allows you open access to everywhere except Rod Laver and the Hisense.

Then see the following link for single sessions: http://www.australianopen.com/en_AU/tickets/prices.html Varies from $70 for day 1, to $380 for the final! The good thing is that you can still buy tickets for the Rod Laver/Hisense the evening before you are planning to attend (Apart from when an Australian is scheduled play). Last year I just waited until the order of play was announced (usually around 6pm) local time, then I'd phone up and reserve my seat.

I've just had a look, and prior to the semi-finals, the only session that's sold out is the middle saturday night session - when Tomic is scheduled to meet Federer in the third round!

I want Fernando Verdasco to do well, on his day he can match anyone, sadly those days are getting less and less.

Took Nadal to one of the longest matches in Aussie Open tennis in 2009 (think its the 2nd longest now) semi final and outside the top 3, reckon he's worth a couple of quid e/w.

I want Fernando Verdasco to do well, on his day he can match anyone, sadly those days are getting less and less.

Took Nadal to one of the longest matches in Aussie Open tennis in 2009 (think its the 2nd longest now) semi final and outside the top 3, reckon he's worth a couple of quid e/w.

I saw him in Perth the other week and he didn't look great. Struggled to beat a 16 year-old kid who's ranked outside the top 600. To be honest I think he's well past it. By all accounts he was poor in his five setter against Danny Goffin today.

A good few years ago he was a cracking player though. When his forehand was on, he could hit through anyone. Reminded me a lot of Fernando Gonzales - who is the best player I've ever seen, who's never won a major.

Do Fernando's win majors?

Amazing there has been not a single Fernando major winner in either the Open or Amateur era. Best performance was by Fernando Gonzalez, who reached the final of the Australian Open in 2007. I thought there would be a least one Fernando to win the French Open!

Murray looked very good today. Usually in the first couple of rounds of a Grand Slam Murray just blocks the ball back to his opponent, runs them around and waits for them to self destruct. Today he was going for his shots a lot more. It was nice to see. His forehand was surprisingly impressive. Not sure what brought about the change of tactics - Haase has given him trouble before and is a known flair player, capable of playing some amazing shots. Maybe he was paying him a bit of respect, by playing so ruthlessly. I enjoyed watching it though - Murray absolutely crushed him. Looks in fantastic shape physically after his usual brutal Miami training camp.

Plays the world No. 100 in round two. Think we might see Murray revert to type, blocking the ball and keeping his opponent running, as the forecast is for 39C in melbourne on Thursday! He'll be wanting to preserve as much energy as possible.

For anyone who has the day off today, there is a good match scheduled for 8am UK time. Monfils vs Dolgopolov on the Margaret Court Arena - two of the most flamboyant and unpredictable players on tour. One of the ties of the first round - potential to be an absolute classic.

Djokovic vs Nishikori and Murray vs Federer semis, with neither Djok or Murray losing a set to get there. :)

Murray versus Del Potro in quarter finals is a tough one to call. I don't see Murray winning that in straight sets. Del Potro could easily beat him.

Federer has a tough route to the semis too.... Tomic and Tsonga to overcome.

Amazing there has been not a single Fernando major winner in either the Open or Amateur era. Best performance was by Fernando Gonzalez, who reached the final of the Australian Open in 2007. I thought there would be a least one Fernando to win the French Open!

Murray looked very good today. Usually in the first couple of rounds of a Grand Slam Murray just blocks the ball back to his opponent, runs them around and waits for them to self destruct. Today he was going for his shots a lot more. It was nice to see. His forehand was surprisingly impressive. Not sure what brought about the change of tactics - Haase has given him trouble before and is a known flair player, capable of playing some amazing shots. Maybe he was paying him a bit of respect, by playing so ruthlessly. I enjoyed watching it though - Murray absolutely crushed him. Looks in fantastic shape physically after his usual brutal Miami training camp.

Plays the world No. 100 in round two. Think we might see Murray revert to type, blocking the ball and keeping his opponent running, as the forecast is for 39C in melbourne on Thursday! He'll be wanting to preserve as much energy as possible.

For anyone who has the day off today, there is a good match scheduled for 8am UK time. Monfils vs Dolgopolov on the Margaret Court Arena - two of the most flamboyant and unpredictable players on tour. One of the ties of the first round - potential to be an absolute classic.

Maybe something to this article then?

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/tennis/andre-agassi-tips-andy-murray-to-build-on-us-victory-8449937.html

Murray versus Del Potro in quarter finals is a tough one to call. I don't see Murray winning that in straight sets. Del Potro could easily beat him.

Federer has a tough route to the semis too.... Tomic and Tsonga to overcome.

I'm just getting my predictions down in ink now so that I can gloat when they actually happen. :)

I think we'll need to wait until deeper in the tournament to see if he's become more aggressive. I think for Robin Haase the best thing to do was to attack him at every opportunity - he is known as someone who's very flamboyant, aggressive, that really goes for his shots. Playing passively would have been too dangerous against Haase - if Murray allowed him to get into his groove, he has the ability to beat him (as he's done in the past).

As I said, I think he'll revert to type against Sousa, who is total pish. It's going to be 39C degrees on Thursday, so he'll be trying conserve as much energy as possible. Run him around the court and let him beat himself.

Agassi is right enough, the fifth set against Djokovic could well be the turning point in his career. I think he knew Djokovic was playing unbelievable tennis and wasn't going to make a mistake. Murray had no option other than coming out all guns blazing. If he'd played too passive Djokovic would have murdered him in that form.

Yeah you're probably right about Fernando, more hoping he does well.

He would only have to face one of the big 3 to advance to the final though. Haha!

He did really well against Malisse today, who is a very decent player. Should beat Kevin Anderson in the 3rd round, but Berdych will beat him in the 4th round.

Did anyone see Djokovic there? Absolutely immense, beat one of the top young players, Ryan Harrison 1, 2 & 3. Absolutely murdered him with some unbelievable tennis. Think Murray is the only guy who's going to be able to stop him. If Murray loses before the final then Djokovic wins.

Murray on Hisense tomorrow, early afternoon. Probably around 1am UK time.

Laura Robson has an absolutely brilliant draw - last on the Rod Laver Arena tomorrow night! Quite surprised to see that! The Aussies must be trying to claim her as one of their own! Tough match against Petra Kvitova.

He seemed to smash that lad today (can't comment on performance as never seen it)

Reckon this is a massive year for him, the past couple of years he seems uninterested and not bothered. Another year like last and doubt he'll ever recover.

He's always battled with the mentality of the game but hope he keeps the heed this time around!

He did really well against Malisse today, who is a very decent player. Should beat Kevin Anderson in the 3rd round, but Berdych will beat him in the 4th round.

Did anyone see Djokovic there? Absolutely immense, beat one of the top young players, Ryan Harrison 1, 2 & 3. Absolutely murdered him with some unbelievable tennis. Think Murray is the only guy who's going to be able to stop him. If Murray loses before the final then Djokovic wins.

Murray on Hisense tomorrow, early afternoon. Probably around 1am UK time.

Laura Robson has an absolutely brilliant draw - last on the Rod Laver Arena tomorrow night! Quite surprised to see that! The Aussies must be trying to claim her as one of their own! Tough match against Petra Kvitova.

Well she's not British is she, robson?

Really tough conditions today, getting towards 39C in Melbourne today. Tsonga is 2 sets up in his match, but he does not look comfortable in this heat - he's staggering around like he's drunk!

Kirilenko looks like she should close out here match shortly, so I'd imagine Murray will underway in about an hour from now. Right in the heat of midday!

Really tough conditions today, getting towards 39C in Melbourne today. Tsonga is 2 sets up in his match, but he does not look comfortable in this heat - he's staggering around like he's drunk!

Kirilenko looks like she should close out here match shortly, so I'd imagine Murray will underway in about an hour from now. Right in the heat of midday!

Was going to get a general admissions pass today. Go for a wonder round a few courts, few beers and have a look at the fanny on show. :pirate::cheers:

Fucking walloper of a heat today though. Been 35+ since before 9am. Not even all that sunny, most of the day has been overcast. But muggy as all fuck, terrible conditions to do anything active, let alone knock out a few sets of tennis.

Supposed to be mid 20s after today for the next wee while though :dance: :dance:

Was going to get a general admissions pass today. Go for a wonder round a few courts, few beers and have a look at the fanny on show. :pirate::cheers:

Fucking walloper of a heat today though. Been 35+ since before 9am. Not even all that sunny, most of the day has been overcast. But muggy as all fuck, terrible conditions to do anything active, let alone knock out a few sets of tennis.

Supposed to be mid 20s after today for the next wee while though :dance: :dance:

It's been like that here lately too! 42C and a dry heat I can handle... but 35C and humid is just torture. You can't do anything outdoors without sweating like a paedo in a playground.