Joe Shaughnessy

37. Shaughnessy - BIG IN. He will take over from the ruff Diamond at CB

Also hope that some more of the youth team make the grade like Low, Gibson and Grimmer (who we briefly saw last season).

Yeh, they were very poor from what I saw. The only real opportunity of note was when the struck the bar, maybe 10 minutes before half time. Livingston certainly doing the pressing. Awful conditions.

I've been very impressed with Shaughnessy in the games I have seen him. Didn't see enough of him today though to pass judgement though.

Quite pacy, reads the game well, very good in the air but will have to work on upper body strength. I like Shaughnessy and the youth coaches certainly rate him. It's very difficult knowing these days with the lack of reserve football whether a player is definitely ready to step up but he certainly has talent. I am confident that he will be a better player than Diamond.

Edit: From one of the above threads I also advocated keeping Maguire. Wrong.

I also thought Ifil looked decent on arrival. Wrong.

Also Razor described Shaugnessy as "atrocious". Time only will tell.

• Admin

I've seen Shaughnessy play a few times. Strong in the header and very composed in passing with generally good distribution. He does all the basics right. I can't say he's ever stood out, but as a defender i guess that's means he's doing something right.

I thought he looked like a decent SPL standard CB. But its only one game. He passed the ball to short a few times but thats the only thing I can think of that he did wrong.

Aye he gave the ball away a few times but apart from that he looked good imo.

• 2 months later...

He is currently with the Irish U19s playing in the European Championships over in Romania. He came on as a sub v Greece, an unused sub v Czech Republic and started the final group game against Romania.

Ireland are through to the semis and will face Spain in the semi final.

I liked what I saw of Shaughnessy against Hibs on the final day of last season. However I'm glad we have a couple of experienced players signed who can fit in at the centre of defence so we can introduce him to the first team gradually and hopefully he can learn from them as well. Imagine being a young defender at a club and having to learn from the likes of Diamond and Ifil :o

Finally, does anyone know if we are getting any kind of money from UEFA for him being away? I know you normally get money for major tournaments like the Euros and the World Cup but does the same thing happen with youth tournaments like this.

He is currently with the Irish U19s playing in the European Championships over in Romania. He came on as a sub v Greece, an unused sub v Czech Republic and started the final group game against Romania.

Ireland are through to the semis and will face Spain in the semi final.

Good stuff!

Hope they make it into the final...must be very good experience for the loon.

I see the games are on Friday and live on Eurosport.

Nae sure fit een the Ireleand een is though?

Friday 29th July 2011

Fri 29th Jul TBC UEFA U19 European Championships Semi Final 16:45 British Eurosport / British Eurosport HD

Fri 29th Jul TBC UEFA U19 European Championships Semi Final 18:45 British Eurosport / British Eurosport HD

Would think Shaunnessey very likely to go out on loan if we retain all the senior players we have Mcardle etc.

I agree, and think it would be good for the boy - he needs games, and with the SPL scrapping the reserve league he doesnt get the chance to play

Loan him to a Peterhead or the likes, along with Jordan Brown another who wont get a look in this season.

I agree, and think it would be good for the boy - he needs games, and with the SPL scrapping the reserve league he doesnt get the chance to play

Loan him to a Peterhead or the likes, along with Jordan Brown another who wont get a look in this season.

I'd prefer him at a higher standard than the 3rd division. How many players have actually gone out to Peterhead and then broke into Aberdeens first team on their return?

He needs games aye but is he not still young enough to play in the U19s league?

Obviously not as good a level as the 1st div etc. but still, he'll get a full season & we can still chuck him into the SPL for the end of some games where we're 'coasting' :unsure: if we ever are.

From what I seen of him at the Hibs game, he's not far from making the step up & I'd rather he had the chance to learn from our own experienced centre halves :dontknow: It would mean a lot of hard work on his part, in that he'd be full time playing every week with U19s but still traveling with first team for the added experience & he'd more than likely be captaining the U19s.

Just don't want him going out on loan & then getting passed by like so many others have & ended up at Peterheid FT cos I think he has lots of potential.

• 1 year later...

Joe, Mark & Andy as our main defence for years to come with Russel there now to play selected number of games & pass experience on to them.

It's a solid back line (let down by our No.1 spot). Especially if Robertson can make the LB slot his also.

Would rather Jack in Midfield but he can do a great job at RB also.

Would be nice to get McNaughton back since out of contract in Summer & with no offer on table as yet from Cardiff but he really wants to stay there, so extremely unlikely.