Beggars - Do You Give Them Anything But The Steam Off Your Shit?

fatshaft

Saw a 60 minutes documentary about some homeless chick they'd picked at random.

Apparently a qualified nurse who lived with her husband. One day the husband gets sick, turns out it's some serious illness. He can't work any more, medical care is ludicrously expensive, her insurance doesn't cover it, they get further in debt. she has to quit her job to care for the husband at home. Eventually the husband dies and leaves her with ridiculous bills. She loses everything, husband, house, car, job, the lot.

She was pretty much fucked through no fault of her own.

There are skivers and scroungers in all walks of life, but then again there are at least as many genuine cases.

Treating the homeless like shit because you've convinced yourself they're a bunch of gypos is kinda low.

Then again, treating other people like shit is pretty bad form anyway, whether they're homeless or not.

Aye just goes to show it's not always junkies & alkies, however I would wager the majority who are out chancing their arm begging, are doing so to pay for an addiction, not a 'cup of tea'.

Still obv their are genuine folk who have fallen on hard times and lost their home etc. I got made redundant about 3 years ago and luckily I got a new job, in my line of work, within 3 months. Luckily I had money to tide me over too, could have been a real struggle and if I hadn't got back into work, well I don't think family/friends would have seen me on the streets, but can see how it cam happen, especially for a single person with no kids to jump you to the top of any housing queues.

if ive got change in my pocket ill usually put some in hat or cup.... but prefer to go get them a cup of soup or something... like its been said already, money is, in most cases, gonna go on drink or drugs, but if thats whats gonna help them get thro the day, who am i to judge... i have know idea about the circumstances in which brought these people to be on the streets and if the worst happened and it was me.. a cup of soup or

• Upvote 1

if ive got change in my pocket ill usually put some in hat or cup.... but prefer to go get them a cup of soup or something... like its been said already, money is, in most cases, gonna go on drink or drugs, but if thats whats gonna help them get thro the day, who am i to judge... i have know idea about the circumstances in which brought these people to be on the streets and if the worst happened and it was me.. a cup of soup or

• Upvote 2
  • 4 months later...

Residents of two Scottish cities are to be polled on their attitudes to beggars as councils seek to gather evidence in support of a new byelaw.

Local authorities in Aberdeen and Glasgow will build up a "demographic of beggars" ahead of submitting a request to the Scottish Government for legislative changes.

The move follows an announcement by Aberdeen City Council that it was seeking to put forward a new byelaw to crack down on people asking for money on the streets, and would work with Glasgow and other cities to prepare a case.

A council spokesman said the survey would explore issues such as the extent of complaints, the impact on businesses in the city and how beggars engaged with support services.

Glasgow Council has already had informal talks with officials in other cities to explore the extent of the problem.

A spokeswoman for the arms-length agency Glasgow Community and Safety Services (GCSS) confirmed a draft city centre strategy prepared for the council included a recommendation in favour of the byelaw. However, the strategy has yet to be approved by council chiefs.

The spokeswoman said: "We will survey city centres users and businesses to determine their experiences and attitudes towards begging and the extent of aggressive and forced begging.

"We aim to build a better picture of the situation, including the demographic of beggars."

She added that GCSS is also working with Aberdeen on a survey of beggars to ascertain their reasons for begging and to help them access support services.

Grant Campbell, the chief executive of the charity Glasgow City Mission, said councils should be looking at measures to reduce poverty if they wanted to reduce the number of street beggars.

He said: "A ban on begging would do little to address the reasons people are begging in the first place - no one eagerly chooses to become a beggar."

Currently, beggars can only be arrested for obstruction if they block public rights of way, or if they beg aggressively, causing the public fear or alarm, in which case they can be charged with breach of the peace.

Police Scotland's responsible officer for Safer Communities, said: "This is a matter for the councils concerned and Police Scotland will continue to work with partners to support those who are vulnerable."

In a letter sent to local authorities in 2012, Justice Secretary Kenny MacAskill said the Scottish Government would continue to pursue a policy of "multi-agency engagement" rather than "criminalising individuals with complex social needs".

He noted that beggars exhibiting threatening or abusive behaviour were already subject to existing criminal laws, and said the Government would not support any byelaws that sought to criminalise the act of begging.

• 4 months later...

Plans to outlaw begging on the streets of Aberdeen will come back before councillors next week.

The Labour-led administration delayed introducing a by-law earlier this year, following opposition from the Scottish government, which would have to approve the plans.
Police Scotland has also voiced its opposition to the by-law proposal.
But councillor Willie Young said it would be enforceable.
He told BBC Scotland: "What we really want to do is help the most vulnerable.
"In this day and age, nobody should be begging on our streets.
"However there are people who are doing it for a living, these people we need to progress through the court system, but those that are in desperate need, we need to help."
A previous attempt to establish similar legislation in the city - considered by councillors in February - failed.
At that time, the homelessness charity Aberdeen Cyrenians said it would only worsen the problems of the vulnerable.

Police Scotland has also voiced its opposition to the by-law proposal.

But councillor Willie Young said it would be enforceable.
He told BBC Scotland: "What we really want to do is help the most vulnerable.
"In this day and age, nobody should be begging on our streets.
"However there are people who are doing it for a living, these people we need to progress through the court system, but those that are in desperate need, we need to help."

In this day and age?

Does he mean in this time of benefits cuts, rising rental costs, huge utility bills and the tail end of a recession?

I can see his point, its really easy to make ends meet on £53 a week now that gas and electricity prices are at record highs, benefits are frozen and taken away at the drop of a hat and of course for some there is the added burden of the bedroom tax but hey, in this day and age everyone should be OK and have plenty, eh Willie.

In this day and age?

Does he mean in this time of benefits cuts, rising rental costs, huge utility bills and the tail end of a recession?

I can see his point, its really easy to make ends meet on £53 a week now that gas and electricity prices are at record highs, benefits are frozen and taken away at the drop of a hat and of course for some there is the added burden of the bedroom tax but hey, in this day and age everyone should be OK and have plenty, eh Willie.

The majority of homeless people won't really give a fuck how expensive gas and electricity is TBF. Beggars generally being the homeless.

The majority of homeless people won't really give a fuck how expensive gas and electricity is TBF. Beggars generally being the homeless.

I was led to believe that all beggars live in giant houses, and get to their begging job in a top of the line BMW.

It was the Daily Mail that led me to believe this, admittedly.

Beggars. Romanians. Jews and Nig Nogs. Gay Nig Nogs.

• 4 months later...

LGIR,

Blocked at my work, what was the outcome of this experiment?

it would appear that the few people they show in the video were deeply affected by the experiment. seemingly astounded when they found out they'd walked by family members they had said earlier they were so close to. i liked how the video producers had each go back to their "homeless" relatives after viewing the footage. the way in which they're greeted then is much different than how they're walked by and ignored in the earlier footage. it's pretty moving.

I give them the kibdof advice and wisdom that belies my mere 35 years.

Corporate super giants would pay million s for it but I dish it out gratis to homeless bums.

Teach a man to fish etc.

did you watch the video, Bluto?

it would appear that the few people they show in the video were deeply affected by the experiment. seemingly astounded when they found out they'd walked by family members they had said earlier they were so close to. i liked how the video producers had each go back to their "homeless" relatives after viewing the footage. the way in which they're greeted then is much different than how they're walked by and ignored in the earlier footage. it's pretty moving.

did you watch the video, Bluto?

Interesting but not surprising, think I read once our brain only processes something like 10% of the things around us, if you don't know any beggars you wouldn't really be focusing on them, same would go for the people passing you in the street so it would be a little unfair to portray it as people ignoring beggars.

Will watch when I get home.

Did anyone spot the person they know straight off??