Beggars - Do You Give Them Anything But The Steam Off Your Shit?

fatshaft

I'm pretty sure if my mum and dad were transformed into pish stained tramps slumped in a doorway not making eye contact as I walked by I'd not notice. At best I'd probably say to my pal, "that jakie Cunt looks a bit like my Da".

If you're not a junkie loser and just down on your luck then learn to juggle or play the harmonica at least then I'll throw you a quid.

The only people who look at beggars are christians and serial killers (bare minimum serious sex offender level).

Pointless bunch of pricks in that video, people who behave like that, what are they are actually trying to do ?? Apart from massage there own ego

I was on a night out in Middlesbrough and there was a guy selling the Big Issue, which I thought was pretty strange given that it was almost midnight.

As we walked past him he tried to flog his piece of shit magazine in the typical manner, to which I responded "yeah, I'll give you a big issue mate". Cue uproarious laughter from my mates.

He took it pretty well, gave a small chuckle and responded "I haven't heard that one before, enjoy your night lads".

Full of booze and natural wit, I quipped "say another word to me, and you'll end up in that biffa bin over there you scruffy homeless cunt".

I clicked my fingers and pointed at the guy, which is the signal for my bigger mate to deal with potential miscreants. He approached the neanderthal and gave him a quick flurry of punches that put this sack of shit on the deck. I kicked him in the head a couple of times, which was an empowering moment, and then burnt his remaining "magazines" with my lighter.

Me and my mates shared a few laughs, and then went on to enjoy the rest of our night.

• Upvote 3
  • 2 years later...

http://www.humansofnewyork.com/

the site doesn't tend to focus on homeless persons. just people. in general.

but this is a moving narrative of how someone ends up homeless, like many, for reasons other than laziness.

it's sad how quickly things can change for someone.

http://www.humansofnewyork.com/post/146380194356/she-committed-suicide-a-week-prior-to-our

“She committed suicide a week prior to our thirtieth anniversary. Our oldest daughter had died of leukemia a couple years earlier. Holly took it extra hard. We drifted apart. We’d parse our words. Nothing was natural anymore: ‘Do we talk this way?’ ‘Do we laugh at this moment?’ ‘ Do we even have a right to laugh?’ But I still thought we were doing OK. Things weren’t like they used to be. But I still thought things were OK. We rented a hotel room for our thirtieth anniversary. I was supposed to meet her there after work. She overdosed on pills before I got there. I don’t know why she did it that way. She said in her note that she wasn’t angry, but I don’t know why she did it that way. I fell apart. I started drinking a lot and doing cocaine. I lost my job. One day I was giving a presentation after being up all night on drugs, and I just started hallucinating. I thought one of the clients was Holly. I stopped the presentation and started calling her name. The company was nice about it. They gave me a nice severance package. But I gave all the money to my kids. I’ve been on the streets ever since. It’s been eight years. My kids have tried to give me the money back but I won’t take it. I ride the subways at night. If it’s warm enough, I sleep on a bench. I read a little. I write a little. I go to the soup line in the morning. I’m just existing. I wasn’t a good husband. I wasn’t a good father. And now I’m doing penance.”

http://www.humansofnewyork.com/

the site doesn't tend to focus on homeless persons. just people. in general.

but this is a moving narrative of how someone ends up homeless, like many, for reasons other than laziness.

it's sad how quickly things can change for someone.

http://www.humansofnewyork.com/post/146380194356/she-committed-suicide-a-week-prior-to-our

“She committed suicide a week prior to our thirtieth anniversary. Our oldest daughter had died of leukemia a couple years earlier. Holly took it extra hard. We drifted apart. We’d parse our words. Nothing was natural anymore: ‘Do we talk this way?’ ‘Do we laugh at this moment?’ ‘ Do we even have a right to laugh?’ But I still thought we were doing OK. Things weren’t like they used to be. But I still thought things were OK. We rented a hotel room for our thirtieth anniversary. I was supposed to meet her there after work. She overdosed on pills before I got there. I don’t know why she did it that way. She said in her note that she wasn’t angry, but I don’t know why she did it that way. I fell apart. I started drinking a lot and doing cocaine. I lost my job. One day I was giving a presentation after being up all night on drugs, and I just started hallucinating. I thought one of the clients was Holly. I stopped the presentation and started calling her name. The company was nice about it. They gave me a nice severance package. But I gave all the money to my kids. I’ve been on the streets ever since. It’s been eight years. My kids have tried to give me the money back but I won’t take it. I ride the subways at night. If it’s warm enough, I sleep on a bench. I read a little. I write a little. I go to the soup line in the morning. I’m just existing. I wasn’t a good husband. I wasn’t a good father. And now I’m doing penance.”

It's a very touching story and I feel sorry for him. But from reading that article his kids have reached out to him and it's almost his choice to have became homeless? There are always two sides to the story, he got a good pay off, did the company try to help in other ways. Did he do drugs or was he addicted to them, does he still do drugs and drink? Is that an easier option than trying to sort his life out? Does he want to sort it out?

Regardless I hope he is happy and learns not to blame himself for something he had no control over.

• Upvote 1

My cousin is homeless, I stupidly gave him £20 (probably spent on drugs) one night when drunk. The last time I saw him at 3am I took him on a £40 shopping spree in the newsagents on Bridge Street, would rather spend £40 on him knowing it is stuff he needs (hat, gloves and food) rather than £20 not knowing what he does with it. Haven't seen him since last year, not in a good way apparently, good old methadone.

If I have change I will usually give it to a homeless person, very rarely carry cash though. If they had chip and pin or contactless it would be much easier.

My cousin is homeless, I stupidly gave him £20 (probably spent on drugs) one night when drunk. The last time I saw him at 3am I took him on a £40 shopping spree in the newsagents on Bridge Street, would rather spend £40 on him knowing it is stuff he needs (hat, gloves and food) rather than £20 not knowing what he does with it. Haven't seen him since last year, not in a good way apparently, good old methadone.

If I have change I will usually give it to a homeless person, very rarely carry cash though. If they had chip and pin or contactless it would be much easier.

My mates brother was fucked up for a few years. Got to the point they all had their own safes in the house to keep anything in he'd be able to sell.

Turned around though, off it, working, renting a place, got a bird... I know a few folk like that, they have to want it though.