Alex Ferguson Retiring As Manchester United Manager At End Of Season

as a mark of respect to the great man im gonna wear a black armband to tonights big 4 crunch game.

i'll be taking a minute out of drinking before kick off.

could he have achieved more?

i'd say yes in europe he should have. but that aside is been a pretty flawless career that presumably will never be repeated.

The next manchester manager will begin with a m

He'll be missed there - not surprised he's not coming back to Pittodrie - I mean would you? - if you were him and looking at the mess and the board?

I wonder if he'll back seat drive.

This feels like a "where were you when Ferguson retired" moment.

Crazy. I'm not a fan of Man utd, or English football generally, but it's massive news.

If managers who come up to Aberdeen think there's high expectations, fuck knows what it'll be like down there.

Moyes or Mourinho then.

I thought Mourinho would replace him for a while and the timing does seem to work. I'm pretty sure if he had any kind of verbal agreement with Chelsea he'd be happy to tell them to stick it.

As for the (very) hypothetical question of would you have Fergie back at the Dons. Of course you would. Greatest manager ever and greatest manager at Aberdeen. Any player within our budget would want to come to play for him. The top young players available for loan would be put here for nothing, as parent clubs would want them to learn from the best manager going. His arrival alone would get fans flooding back.

would utd have been interested in guardiola?

did they miss the boat there? personally im not convinced by him, but if he is good enough for bayern then he is good enough for man u.

i can see anyone out there past jose mourinhio. he has the talent and appears to be avaialbale at the right time.

Fergie the master upstairs and Moyes the puppet downstairs?

Gotta be Mourinho though imo.

Don't think there is any danger of Mourinho going there while Ferguson remains in a position of power and influence.

There is no way he'd go anywhere unless he was in full control.

I think it'll be Moyes - a puppet for Ferguson.

Broon on sky news saying he knew as fergie sent him a letter saying he just beat him to it (retiring)

although the interview was cut short because of a technical problem (english probably could not understand a word)

P.S could admin/mod edit the title now that he has retired

Great, great manager.

The greatest ever in the UK and the like of which will never be seen again.

Not sure who will come in, but its a hell of a shadow to step into, as we've found to our cost.

Moyes, Mourinho, Klopp I'm really not sure.

I think it could be a culmination of things that have prompted this.

The radio this morning have pointed to a few possibilities.

David Gill stepping down and being replaced by Woodward, who's very much a bean counter. The hip op. defeat in this years 'Champs' League.

His reaction on the touch line during the Real game was of someone who knew this was his last chance.

Truely the end of an era.

Don't think there is any danger of Mourinho going there while Ferguson remains in a position of power and influence.

There is no way he'd go anywhere unless he was in full control.

I think it'll be M

Moyes - a puppet for Ferguson.

And would JM have full control at Chelsea with the owner and sporting director calling the shots.

And would JM have full control at Chelsea with the owner and sporting director calling the shots.

That's a good question. However, were Mourinho to go back there, I'm sure one of the provisos would be that he has, more or less, full autonomy. That would never happen at united.

I'm well aware Fergie and Mourinho get on well at the moment, however, if they had to work together they would undoubtedly fall out within a matter of weeks. Neither of them would want a scenario like this.

Sad news, the end of an era. The greatest manager to ever walk the planet imo.

Got to be Jose, in the interview after Real were knocked out of Europe I just got the feeling he knew something really big was in the planning. Him as manager and Ronaldo back at Man utd would see them as probable CL winners next year.

Respect to Fergie though, a true Legend.