Literally

Henry

I don't think people use the word "literally", wrong, per se. its for emphasis

someone OBVIOUSLY didn't die laughing, but its like saying "im going to try 110%

no, you're not

you cant

No, they do use it incorrectly. Literally.

Although because so many fucktards don't know how to use certain words correctly, they have to go and alter the meaning or add some side meaning. I.e.

informal
used for emphasis while not being literally true.
"I have received literally thousands of letters"
This use can lead to unintentional humorous (...if you say so) effects ( we were literally killing ourselves laughing) and is not acceptable in formal contexts, though it is widespread.

What you have to remember chaps is that language evolves according to how people use it.

However if it evolves incorrectly it should die, like all other evolutionary failures.

I was watching Dave Gorman's the modern world is goodish and he was speaking about how kids today are hearing some sayings wrong, putting their own meaning to them and then they go out into the world using them in completely the wrong context. It hit home a few days ago when the missus's loon said his brother was as thick as a thief thinking it meant stupid.

The meaning of a word only changes when people are too lazy to correct the idiots in the first place.

However if it evolves incorrectly it should die, like all other evolutionary failures.

I was watching Dave Gorman's the modern world is goodish and he was speaking about how kids today are hearing some sayings wrong, putting their own meaning to them and then they go out into the world using them in completely the wrong context. It hit home a few days ago when the missus's loon said his brother was as thick as a thief thinking it meant stupid.

The meaning of a word only changes when people are too lazy to correct the idiots in the first place.

I get pulled up about being pedantic most of the time. Worst of all by my dad who pronounces it "petantic," and no, he's nae doing it in jest!

Aye but give it a hundred years and it'll be correct.

Time and tide were essentially the same thing, originally anyway.

Now the use of the word tide refers more to the repetitive movement of the oceans.

There's a clear link; but the original meaning was certainly on the theme of time.