Bitcoins

NorthernLights24

I doubt I'll ever get my head around the value of Bitcoin or any cryptocurrency for that matter.

I'm likely repeating myself, but what's the basis for it's value other than a willingness of certain vendors to honour it's alleged value?

At least with a Pound or a Dollar there's, supposedly, national assets which give the paper money it's value. There's a clause written right there on the money itself, 'This note is legal tender for all debts public and private' for Yanks, and likely something similar on UK money. With Bitcoin there's no pile of gold or silver that gives the Bitcoin any kind of inherent value.

Obviously I'm missing something, but I've never heard any good explanation as to why I should sell something in exchange for a Bitcoin.

I understand it's great if you want to but drugs, guns, or sex slaves on whatever iteration the Silk Road is currently at, but even then... why would you hand over a kilo of smack for a Bitcoin? So you can go buy more smack wholesale and sell it on for more virtual, essentially worthless, Bitcoin?

And what if governments, as they inevitably will, decide to go after crypto currency because it's a threat to their own central banks? Or what if government realisescrypto currency can be better controlled if they create their own form of Bitcoin? At some point they have to believe that Bitcoin Farms pose a real threat to the value of their own currency. Banks of unregulated computers churning out rival currencies to the national currency? How long is THAT going to be ignored by Western banks?

I've read articles that say it's possible that Bitcoin could be shut down, and conversely that it's impossible to shut down. But they've already shut down cryptocurrency in the past, so it's demonstrably possible to do so.

I'm amazed Bitcoin has been allowed to carry on unimpeded for as long as it has, to be honest. But that's probably because I have zero understanding of what makes it attractive to anyone not dealing in drugs, weapons, or Rohingya slaves.

still confused? this might help: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4APcgsRdW6w

• Upvote 1

IOTA had some bad press a while ago with researchers from MIT found a bug in it. It wasn't so much the bug but the IOTA teams response to it. But recently they've had good publicity with "partnerships" with Microsoft among others. Some dispute the nature of these partnerships but IOTA does get mentioned in some of the Azure development blogs.

The thing with all these coin pumps is knowing when to get out. FOMO (fear of missing out) is a huge obstacle when investing in crypto. If you had been in on the start of that 600% increase when would you have bottled it and cashed out? Some never do because they don't want to "miss out" on the profit still coming. If you're never going to have the confidence to cash out is it really worth anything?

That said most analysts are suggesting IOTA will go to $4 maybe even $5 over the next few days (currently $3.10). After that everybody will be talking about another coin that just went 200% in a week.

Why are these virtual coins increasing in value?

More people turning to drugs or buying weapons?

Speculation, pure and simple. Lots of people have become buyers as the price action has gone parabolic since the start of the year.

It's in raging bubble territory at the moment, which usually means that a precipitous fall is in the not-too-distant. What will be interesting will be how (if) the price recovers after any such fall.

• Admin

Was looking through old emails and found a mining pool i played around with back in 2011.

Saw the transaction ID and put it into a balance checking tool.

I no longer have access to the wallet.

JVZd5zK.png

That's £4,695 sitting somewhere on the internet, unable to access it. Lost forever. And it was just generated from letting a graphics card run for a few hours in 2011.

And i know i have more lost somewhere. :hysterical:

Was looking through old emails and found a mining pool i played around with back in 2011.

Saw the transaction ID and put it into a balance checking tool.

I no longer have access to the wallet.

JVZd5zK.png

That's £4,695 sitting somewhere on the internet, unable to access it. Lost forever. And it was just generated from letting a graphics card run for a few hours in 2011.

And i know i have more lost somewhere. :hysterical:

Whats the story with lost bitcoins?

Completely gone if your hard drive shits itself? Youd think there would be some way of making a back up.

• Admin

:sherlock:

Some explaining required here Bebo. :dontknow:

Not really sus Boof. I had wallets everywhere and on different mining pools.

I sold the ones i had access to or knew of. I've got a bunch of other addresses i found through my email which have 0btc because they were sold.

The one above in particular was from "Deepbit.net" which i had no about when it was at $800.

Whats the story with lost bitcoins?

Completely gone if your hard drive shits itself? Youd think there would be some way of making a back up.

If you lose your .wallet file, you're fucked. They can be kept in mining pools or exchanges, but they're usually hacked or the owners do a runner.

Not really sus Boof. I had wallets everywhere and on different mining pools.

I sold the ones i had access to or knew of. I've got a bunch of other addresses i found through my email which have 0btc because they were sold.

The one above in particular was from "Deepbit.net" which i had no about when it was at $800.

I can give you the address to see them yourself.

No. Just thought youd maybe forgot youd actually sold them.

Why are they lost forever? You need a password or something to access them.

• Admin

No. Just thought youd maybe forgot youd actually sold them.

Why are they lost forever? You need a password or something to access them.

If they were sold there would be transaction data in that particular address showing 0.00 btc in the screenshot.

The whole point of bitcoin is that it's both anonymous but also transparent and transactions are viewable by everyone.

The balance shows bitcoin sitting there, unsold, inaccessible because the wallet file it's attached to is gone.