The Road To France 2016

Scotland must finish at least third in their qualifying group to stand a chance of reaching the 2016 European Championships.

UEFA have confirmed the format for the competition, which has been expanded to 24 teams for the first time.
The top two sides in each of the nine groups will automatically qualify for Euro 2016, along with the best-ranked third-placed side.
The remaining eight sides who finish third will go into the play-off stage.
A total of 53 nations will compete in the qualifying rounds, with Gibraltar making their debut in the competition.
The nine groups will be comprised of either five or six teams. In determining the best third placed side, results against the bottom team in each group will not be counted.
Scotland are expected to be in pot four when the draw is made in Nice on February 23 next year.
The competition will kick off on September 7, 2014, with the final group games set to be played on October 13, 2015.
Euro 2016 will be held in France, which coincidentally is the country in which Scotland last participated in a major tournament when they took part in the 1998 World Cup.
Scotland finished fourth in their qualifying group for the 2014 World Cup, becoming the first European nation to be eliminated from the running.
The nation finished third in their failed attempts to reach the European Championships in 2012 and 2008.
In a change to the previous format, qualifying games can be held between Thursdays and Tuesdays in a bid by UEFA to spread games out.
Scotland would have the option to play double headers on Saturdays and Tuesdays, having been forced to play a number of Friday night home games in the 2014 World Cup qualifying campaign.
Finals competition format
At Euro 2016 itself, the 24 participating teams will be split into six groups of four.
The six group winners and six runners-up will all qualifying for the round of 16. They will be joined by the four best third-placed teams from the six groups.
The competition will run from June 10, 2016 until July 10, 2016.

So not a whole lot different. In a nutshell top two, rather than only the group winner (along with best 3rd place finisher), progress to the Euros... and a few other spots up for grabs by way of a playoff between the third place teams. Glad they didn't go with some of the ridiculously complicated ideas which were being touted.

Definitely do-able.

So not a whole lot different. In a nutshell top two, rather than only the group winner (along with best 3rd place finisher), progress to the Euros... and a few other spots up for grabs by way of a playoff between the third place teams. Glad they didn't go with some of the ridiculously complicated ideas which were being touted.

Definitely do-able.

It's the fact that 16 teams out of 24 will qualify for the knockout stages that's a bit ridiculous.

Euro 2012 was fairly poor.

Two things stand out - Pirlo's penalty against the guffs and Ballotelli's thunderbolt against Germany.

I like the euros though, France will be quality, great country.

The last world cup was the worst I can remember. No way Brazil will be as bad.

Euro 2012 was fairly poor.

Two things stand out - Pirlo's penalty against the guffs and Ballotelli's thunderbolt against Germany.

I like the euros though, France will be quality, great country.

The last world cup was the worst I can remember. No way Brazil will be as bad.

i like them both.

depends which games you watched though.

i still buy the panini album for the euros and world cup.

1 x album

1 x box of stickers

you fill about half in one go and then you realise that there are about 50-100 hard to gets and several that end up as lots of doublers.

the english fa and a couple of others spoil it by not allowing the strips in the photos and the proper foil badge. booooo!

sad, but fun.

i still buy the panini album for the euros and world cup.

1 x album

1 x box of stickers

you fill about half in one go and then you realise that there are about 50-100 hard to gets and several that end up as lots of doublers.

the english fa and a couple of others spoil it by not allowing the strips in the photos and the proper foil badge. booooo!

sad, but fun.

same here tight breeks.

like you say, box gets you 90% of the way.

few swaps and then buy the individuals from panini.

soted.

ive done this for the last few big ones.

:cool:

• 4 weeks later...

England could face France in their Euro 2016 qualifying group - but no points will be at stake with the tournament hosts' finals place already secure.

The rule change from Uefa sees France become the first host nation to take part in a Euro qualification phase.
Their addition to the group-stage draw will create nine pools of six teams, yet the games will be "centralised friendlies" with no points awarded.
The six seeding pots will be named on Friday before the draw on 23 February.
Uefa's new rule is outlined in Euro 2016 regulation article 21.02, which reads: "The teams drawn into the group of five teams will have France added to their group for the purpose of playing."
England are expected to to placed in the top-tier Pot One following their unbeaten record in qualification for the 2014 World Cup.
As a result, Belgium, Republic of Ireland, Croatia and Sweden are amongst their potential opponents.
Uefa will confirm the seeding positions after their two-day executive committee meeting in Nyon, Switzerland.
Gibraltar, accepted as a separate Uefa member state after winning a court ruling, will be in in the draw for the first time.
It is possible Uefa could keep Gibraltar and Spain apart in the qualifying draw for political reasons.

Bit odd, the France thing.

Bit odd, the France thing.

Sounds a ridiculous idea. I assume they aren't going to take the place in any seeded pot otherwise could end up with the top seed in your group being a team that points don't matter against. Surely everyone will just play reserves ibnt he France game so to avoid any suspensions also in the game before France game might try pick up a booking so would be banned for the France game ratehr than a different one.

I think the only reason they have done this is so France will still get UEFA co-efficient points rather than slippnig down the rankings playign friendlies which don't count much

Sounds a ridiculous idea. I assume they aren't going to take the place in any seeded pot otherwise could end up with the top seed in your group being a team that points don't matter against. Surely everyone will just play reserves ibnt he France game so to avoid any suspensions also in the game before France game might try pick up a booking so would be banned for the France game ratehr than a different one.

I think the only reason they have done this is so France will still get UEFA co-efficient points rather than slippnig down the rankings playign friendlies which don't count much

That was my first reaction. Platini making sure France don't slide into pot 2 or even 3 territory come the World Cup qualifying draw for 2018 (which will probably take place before Euro 2016). I haven't seen anything confirm how these "qualifier friendlies" will be treated in terms of ranking though.

Platini is fucking the European Championships like a president's mistress.

• 4 weeks later...