Winter Olympics

I saw a bit of an ice-skating contest last night, I went into the living room and the Mrs had it on.

Russia had won with room to spare and the round (s) we saw couldn't alter that.

They were skating in pairs, think it was a canadian pair and then a russkie one I saw. The russians were out of this world, completely graceful and elegant, its amazing the stuff they can do.

This Olympics shite is like religion round these parts. Fowk off "sick" to watch the Women's Combined 10k ski, shoot and wobbly your arse and the like.

The big story in Norway today is that Telenor (the BT of Norway) dared to pay for advertising space during commercial breaks in the coverage. People are deathly scared they will miss one second of the mindlessness. They have even been forced to apologise.

Bizarrely enough, the winter Olympics is getting wall-to-wall coverage here too! Even though Australia have only a handful of competitors.

All the build up has surrounded a young speed skater called Daniel Greig. He's been on TV loads in the lead up to the Olympics. I've heard his 'emotional' story of how he was forced to leave Australia at a young age, to follow his Olympic dream, after inline skating was left off the summer program. Apparently he moved to holland and took up ice skating and eventually fought his way to the top... so something along those lines.

He had his big day this evening. I even joined the band wagon and tuned in myself.

Anyway he lasted all of about 10 meters before face-planting straight into the ice. Wiped out. Olympic dream over in a couple of seconds. All that sacrifice for nothing. My initial reaction was to burst out laughing... on reflection actually feel gutted for the lad now.

I was late for work this morning as I was watching the wimmins curling, Scotland v Russia. I nearly whapped the tadger oot for a game of eeniemeanieminiemo. Bring on the Swedes. Sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeep!

The curlers are a bunch of screamers too...

Was most impressed by some of the women's snowboarders too. They can switch fakey a 360 on my half pipe anytime... #downwiththekids

Hello Pretty Lady, you've been keeping a low profile....

Mens Semi Final in Curling coming on this afternoon also. I have my crisps, fruit pastilles and settee blanket looked out ready.

I reckon the Swedes and then the Canadian wummin will both be sent homewards to think again.

hope you're enjoying your snacks and afternoon of sloth, and not leaving crisp shards all over your blanket and settee? :)

it was a good match. the Canadian women are off to the gold medal game v Sweden, and Team GB women will be playing Switzerland for the bronze.

better luck with your men's curling prophecy :cheers:

The Snowboard Cross has been by far my favourite event, it's superb to watch. You can fall out the starting blocks and still end up in a medal position due to a crash in front of you.

The blondie in the women's curling team would get it :thumbup1:

I loved that as well! Felt sorry for the competitors though, you could be the best cross boarder going, have trained like a demon all season,... but all that counts for nothing if some dumb fucker crashes through you in the heats!

I loved that as well! Felt sorry for the competitors though, you could be the best cross boarder going, have trained like a demon all season,... but all that counts for nothing if some dumb fucker crashes through you in the heats!

aye. but the snowboard/ski cross are great events. i'm sure in 2010 they were only 4 racers in each heat; this Olympics it's 6. which probably is causing a few more crashes as well?