Minimum alcohol pricing - latest?

Instead of this, we should license individuals to buy alcohol as well as shops and premisis to sell it. If you want to buy alcohol in any setting, you must show that you are licensed to do so (as with driving, for example).

Everyone would be issued with a special card for this purpose - at one point ID cards were mooted, and this would have tied in nicely with those.

But even an alcohol-specific card would work. You have to apply for it and pay for the card (low one-off cost, just to cover the scheme) just like retailers etc do.

As its an official system, like driving license or passports, it would greatly preclude under-agers buying booze.

if someone is a problem drinker - assaulting folk, drink driving, whatever, or damaging their own health - their license to buy alcohol can be revoked.

Perhaps via a points system, like motoring offences. Reach a set total and your license is revoked for a period or permanently. If you want it back after the punishment period has run out, the cost gets higher.

Anyone caught doing anything to circumvent the system gets publicly flogged.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 6

50p a unit pricing is not going to affect the prices of the alcohol most of us buy. If it does a little, so be it.

I doubt it's THE plan, but part of a parcel of initiatives to try and curb excessive drinking.

The main problem with drink in Scotland imo, is cultural. It's the done thing. Its what your peers do.

Drinking too much is stupid, leads to unnecessary situations in all manner of ways as well as health issues and a train on the NHS.

Funnily enough, the younger generation seem to be changing themselves without being forced to. The growth of craft beer etc seems to be having the effect of developing a taste for drink in a good way. Downing pints of tasteless Tennents might yet become a thing of the past.

Instead of this, we should license individuals to buy alcohol as well as shops and premisis to sell it. If you want to buy alcohol in any setting, you must show that you are licensed to do so (as with driving, for example).

Everyone would be issued with a special card for this purpose - at one point ID cards were mooted, and this would have tied in nicely with those.

But even an alcohol-specific card would work. You have to apply for it and pay for the card (low one-off cost, just to cover the scheme) just like retailers etc do.

As its an official system, like driving license or passports, it would greatly preclude under-agers buying booze.

if someone is a problem drinker - assaulting folk, drink driving, whatever, or damaging their own health - their license to buy alcohol can be revoked.

Perhaps via a points system, like motoring offences. Reach a set total and your license is revoked for a period or permanently. If you want it back after the punishment period has run out, the cost gets higher.

Anyone caught doing anything to circumvent the system gets publicly flogged.

Seriously, what goes on in your head?

• Downvote 1

Yep, it' a tax on poorer folk. Wont make a blind bit of difference to the problem drinker with more disposable income.

I said this when discussed before, probably earlier in the thread.

Alcoholics with the means to afford it get to continue to do so, without any major issue. Those that don't have to make choices on whether their dependency outweighs other requirements.

It also impacts the low income family who like the occasional drink but may depend on supermarket deals etc. 20 pack of lager - minimum price now £20. Often you can get in the £10-12 range, or cheaper with multi-deals. Cheapest 750ml spirits bottle at 40% = £15. Low income people with healthy drink habits will be adversely affected by this.

Alcoholics with the means to afford it get to continue to do so, without any major issue. Those that don't have to make choices on whether their dependency outweighs other requirements.

It also impacts the low income family who like the occasional drink but may depend on supermarket deals etc. 20 pack of lager - minimum price now £20. Often you can get in the £10-12 range, or cheaper with multi-deals. Cheapest 750ml spirits bottle at 40% = £15. Low income people with healthy drink habits will be adversely affected by this.

It's a form of snobbery, assuming only people with moderate incomes have problems with alcohol and targeting them. A lot of alcoholics with little money will still buy their drink, but might cut back on food etc. Can't see that improving their health.

Folk who want/need a drink will prioritise that to feed their addiction.

I'm gonna start doing booze cruises down to Berwick for frosty jack. Make a few notes punting it out to the jakies.

I'm sure the wholesale prices won't be a minimum of 50p unit it will just be the retail price. So get yourself a card for your local booker cash and carry and save yourself the petrol money.

A few local corner shops will still punt the blue cider to their regular drinkers at reduced prices I'd guess.

Having higher alcohol prices seems to help the Scandi countries drinking less so you never know it might just work...

I'm sure the wholesale prices won't be a minimum of 50p unit it will just be the retail price. So get yourself a card for your local booker cash and carry and save yourself the petrol money.

A few local corner shops will still punt the blue cider to their regular drinkers at reduced prices I'd guess.

Having higher alcohol prices seems to help the Scandi countries drinking less so you never know it might just work...

I've got a cash and carry card. I'm going to be fucking coining it in.

I expect that this 50p a unit is only the beginning.

Within a few years I would expect one of the following scenarios to occur in Holyrood:

1) Announcement that the min alcohol price has had no effect and so clearly it is set too low. Accordingly the min price should be raised to (e.g.) £1.

2) Announcement that the min alcohol price has been a great success as shown by crime and health stats. And so lets go even further and reap even more benefit. Accordingly the min price should be raised to (e.g.) £1.

No-one would deny that Scotland has issues with alcohol, but its unfair that everyone is affected because of an irresponsible minority.

Our politicians are poor that they cannot come up with any ideas other than taking money from people.

A mixture of increasing prices and education has reduced the amount of smokers over the last 3-4 decades.

It might work with alcohol.

I expect that this 50p a unit is only the beginning.

Within a few years I would expect one of the following scenarios to occur in Holyrood:

1) Announcement that the min alcohol price has had no effect and so clearly it is set too low. Accordingly the min price should be raised to (e.g.) £1.

2) Announcement that the min alcohol price has been a great success as shown by crime and health stats. And so lets go even further and reap even more benefit. Accordingly the min price should be raised to (e.g.) £1.

No-one would deny that Scotland has issues with alcohol, but its unfair that everyone is affected because of an irresponsible minority.

Our politicians are poor that they cannot come up with any ideas other than taking money from people.

You seem angry.

This pleases me.

thir a wee stall next tae hunter square thit serve fid durin the day n shut at nicht, wan eh they wee hings ye barely fit in. eh git a licence fir that at nicht n ca it frosties...law wid shut ez doon in meenits. nae enuff storage space anawiy. but thir big business fir cunts wi the storage spice tae tak aw they 3 ltr btls n go aboot drappin thim aff tae cunts

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1