Minimum alcohol pricing - latest?

A mixture of increasing prices and education has reduced the amount of smokers over the last 3-4 decades.

It might work with alcohol.

On the other hand, high cost and even illegality doesnt eliminate social problems with (eg) heroin.

And people who are addicted who often resort to (e.g.) theft or prostitution to get their fix.

its good less people are smoking but I think the smoking ban has been a major factor there, more than anything else. But they can hardly ban drinking in pubs. High prices sure, but do you really want to be paying £10 a pint?

Its a shit, glib policy.

They could have tackled health problems with education, antisocial behaviour with the justice system, they didnt need to make working men pay more to relax with a few beers at the end of their busy week.

• Downvote 1
  • 2 months later...

Anyone here ever smashed a 2L of white lightning?

White cider used to be my drink of choice as a youngster. I always went for single litre bottles x 2, rather than a 2 litre bottle. Was easier to drink and due to the smaller bottles would remain fizzy.

Used to race finishing them with my mates. Horrible stuff but once you forced it down, who gives a fuck?

Minmimum pricing is a great thing IMO. Will hopefully be part of a change in attitude towards alcohol. Health professionals are all for it, so i'll trust their opinion over that of the armchair punters. The armchair punters who voted No in case being a real country cost them an extra couple quid a week.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

White cider used to be my drink of choice as a youngster. I always went for single litre bottles x 2, rather than a 2 litre bottle. Was easier to drink and due to the smaller bottles would remain fizzy.

Used to race finishing them with my mates. Horrible stuff but once you forced it down, who gives a fuck?

Minmimum pricing is a great thing IMO. Will hopefully be part of a change in attitude towards alcohol. Health professionals are all for it, so i'll trust their opinion over that of the armchair punters. The armchair punters who voted No in case being a real country cost them an extra couple quid a week.

Normally agree with your stuff Parky, but this smacks of the Nanny State to me. Why would you deny cheap alcohol to the public when you freely admit you used to like guzzling it with relish yourself. Alcoholics are not going to be deterred by a price increase and just like junkies they will raise the cash by other means. Besides this is not just a problem that applies to one section of society and will do nothing to deter the well heeled middle class bored housewife who is killing herself on more expensive beverages. The NHS deals with as much alcohol related problems among the affluent as it does the poor. Every human being should have the right to go to hell in his or her own way without state interference which differentiates between the rich and poor.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

Minmimum pricing is a great thing IMO. Will hopefully be part of a change in attitude towards alcohol

I believe that this is just the begining of it and that it will be ramped up significantly over time.

The vast majority of people don't need a "change in attitude" towards alcohol.

Yes there are problem drinkers, but we should seek to tackle that through education to prevent the problem in the first place.

Normally agree with your stuff Parky, but this smacks of the Nanny State to me. Why would you deny cheap alcohol to the public when you freely admit you used to like guzzling it with relish yourself.

I don't think the rule of law should be based on what i used to do at 16 years old. We've all done daft things when we were young.

Alcoholics are not going to be deterred by a price increase and just like junkies they will raise the cash by other means. Besides this is not just a problem that applies to one section of society and will do nothing to deter the well heeled middle class bored housewife who is killing herself on more expensive beverages. The NHS deals with as much alcohol related problems among the affluent as it does the poor. Every human being should have the right to go to hell in his or her own way without state interference which differentiates between the rich and poor.

I don't think it should be a rich vs poor thing. It's about changing the attitude that we, as a society, have towards alcohol. I believe that raising the price and making excessive consumption more unusual will help change our attitude to alcohol.

It's not the only thing required but i do believe that combining this with increased education campaigns (particularly targetted at young people) can be part of a change in attitudes towards alcohol.

Personally, i'd rather that the minimum price was in place as a tax but the Scottish Parliament doesn't have the power to do this.

Normally agree with your stuff Parky, but this smacks of the Nanny State to me. Why would you deny cheap alcohol to the public when you freely admit you used to like guzzling it with relish yourself. Alcoholics are not going to be deterred by a price increase and just like junkies they will raise the cash by other means. Besides this is not just a problem that applies to one section of society and will do nothing to deter the well heeled middle class bored housewife who is killing herself on more expensive beverages. The NHS deals with as much alcohol related problems among the affluent as it does the poor. Every human being should have the right to go to hell in his or her own way without state interference which differentiates between the rich and poor.

Great points.

In particular, it is well known that price is not a deterrent for those who wish to abuse substances. Even illegality is not a deterrent.

Its also well known that if prices are high, people (inc addicts) will turn to various forms of crime in order to "get the money" or will simply neglect essentials (like paying bills or feeding kids) in order to channel funds to get their fix.

I said before that the min price will be increased regardless of its effect. They will either say its not working, so it the min price needs to be higher, or they will say its been a big success to lets increase it for even more benefit.

It's about changing the attitude that we, as a society, have towards alcohol.

See politicians exist only to run the country on our behalf, at what point were they given the remit to tell us what to think, or how to behave?

This seems to be a very insidious "mission creep" in their role.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2