Minimum alcohol pricing - latest?

only a complete retard would see this as being told how to live their life.

I'm probably just proving your point here but surely it's the government trying to stop people drinking so much by making it less affordable because they feel it is better for them, rather than letting people choose how much they drink for themselves.

only a complete retard would see this as being told how to live their life.

I think the government should be doing more to target the issues that cause alcoholism than simply bumping up prices. If people want it, they'll find ways of getting it. Be it stealing or through shops that are selling it cheaply under the counter. Or stealing so as to fund their habit.

It smacks of a token effort

Probably trying to stop street drinkers causing anti social behaviour in the same way they use speed bumps to decrease speeding?

They could ban street drinking, that would definitely solve the problem. I very rarely see it in Dundee where the council have passed a bylaw(sp) banning it, it's very common in Edinburgh though where the council choose not to.

I was at the cash and carry today and the cheap cider was still the same price as always. Can't imagine they'll be shifting much though.

It's only the same price if the purchaser has proven to the cash and carry they (or the company paying for it) has a licence to sell alcohol. There should be two different prices on display.

They could ban street drinking, that would definitely solve the problem. I very rarely see it in Dundee where the council have passed a bylaw(sp) banning it, it's very common in Edinburgh though where the council choose not to.

Yeah, i'm sure it being banned to drink in public would've stopped my 16 year old self drinking cider in the park 15 years ago. :laughing:

Would beer being 88p a can have stopped you?

It'd have reduced the quantity i drunk, i'd have thought. Can't really mind how flush i was at 16 TBH.

More education in school on the dangers and long-term effects of alcohol, combined with minimum pricing would've definitely have made a difference to the quantity i consumed for sure.

• Downvote 1

I think the government should be doing more to target the issues that cause alcoholism than simply bumping up prices. If people want it, they'll find ways of getting it. Be it stealing or through shops that are selling it cheaply under the counter. Or stealing so as to fund their habit.

Absolutely - they could have rolled out an education program in schools, with the aim of:

- highlighting the suffering caused by irresponsible drinking; eg folk putting up with anti-social behaviour in their neighbourhood, or a family living in fear of an abusive jakey parent

- changing attitudes from thinking its funny to see folk spew / fall over, to awareness of the genuine health impacts

It smacks of a token effort

It is the single easiest and unimaginative thing for them to do. Hence, thats what we get.