Champions League

Never realised Spurs had blown £100 Million, that's a huge amount for the level they're at.

On a wider note I too have also not watched a single Champions league game this season, just can't be doing with the group stages, so dull, may start watching at the knockout stage, the tournament needs a new format, watching the same teams every year is so bland.

I'm not.

What's the pie chart telling us?

That EPL. clubs spend more money than others? Probably. All twenty of them are very well rewarded after all. But that's not the case in Spain for example.

But there are still an elite few on the continent who for whatever reason are able to outspend the big English sides.

That was my point.

The team that are better than City, Chelsea etc are mostly on the same financial level.

I'm not.

What's the pie chart telling us?

That EPL. clubs spend more money than others? Probably. All twenty of them are very well rewarded after all. But that's not the case in Spain for example.

But there are still an elite few on the continent who for whatever reason are able to outspend the big English sides.

That was my point.

The team that are better than City, Chelsea etc are mostly on the same financial level.

Why are you arguing that's exactly what I said in the first place. They've got all the money but are shit.

We'll see. Chelsea struggling to win their group of Kiev, Tel Aviv and Porto...

City have Juve away probs a group decider. The first time in how many seasons City will make it through with minimum fuss?

You may want to check the other links as well then... and look back at your original (bullshit) statement.

You can't just 'pluck' facts out your head and think because it makes sense... it doesn't mean it's right.

What you originally said was utter tripe.

3 links for you to have a look at (pub reading min, have a peep over a beer) and you'll be VERY surprised.

So. Are PSG better than Man City?

Hhhmmmm, maybe.

Are they as wealthy.

Most definitely.

Same argument for Barcelina. Real Madrid. Bayern Munich.

All better than English sides but as history has shown they also spend more.

You have a few clubs I guess like Dortmund, Madrid, Juve who have done well recently but I wouldn't necessarily say the English sides are lagging behind them.

So quite clearly, unless you've forgotten the 200m pounds Real Madrid alone spent one summer then you'll find my initial point was bang on the money, so to speak.

Why are you arguing that's exactly what I said in the first place. They've got all the money but are shit.

We'll see. Chelsea struggling to win their group of Kiev, Tel Aviv and Porto...

City have Juve away probs a group decider. The first time in how many seasons City will make it through with minimum fuss?

Because you said despite the money EPL sides are lagging behind.

I'm raging that they're par for the course and will require further investment to keep up the bigger spending top tier.

I did notice his best Harry Houdini impression it must be said @@Dynamo

P.S. Valencia & Atletico Madrid were biggest spenders in La Liga in the Summer ;).

Atletico's net spend in the summer was just £3.6M

Valencia's was misleading, as there net spend was £64m, but £54m of that (Rodrigo, Negrado and Gomez ) were brought to the club 12 months earlier,

Barca, Real, Bayern etc are reaping the benefits of giving youth a chance. English teams are too focused on buying ready made world class stars and it's costing them too much.

Too much emphasis on facilities and not enough emphasis on the coaching.

http://www.thesecretfootballer.com/articles/tsf-diary/28132/arsene-wenger-ignores-abuse-and-sets-academy-trend-that-no-one-appears-willing-to-follow/

What I think you're confusing g bobo is English clubs and realM\Barcelona.

Last time I looked it was those two that pay upwards of 60m£ for " ready made world class stars"

Whereas the English clubs but the younger players, for a lot, and develop them before Spain's two poach then.

Unless it's arsenal as they never want Arsenal players.

What I think you're confusing g bobo is English clubs and realM\Barcelona.

Last time I looked it was those two that pay upwards of 60m£ for " ready made world class stars"

Whereas the English clubs but the younger players, for a lot, and develop them before Spain's two poach then.

Unless it's arsenal as they never want Arsenal players.

They have World Class players, along with players that have been promoted from their youth team to become regulars.

How many of the EPL big four can say that?

They have World Class players, along with players that have been promoted from their youth team to become regulars.

How many of the EPL big four can say that?

Manchester United

Who has produced the most top-flight players in recent seasons -

1. Barcelona - 38

2. Lyon - 32

3. Real Madrid - 29

4. Rennes - 24

5. Man Utd - 24

6. Bayern Munich - 23

7. Sochaux-Montbeliard - 22

8. Real Sociedad - 21

9. Atlanta - 21

10. Atletico Madrid - 21

Top eight clubs to have produced home-grown players that are currently starring in their first team squad

1. Athletic Bilbao - 16

2. Barcelona - 14

3. Real Sociedad - 14

4. Montpellier - 12

5. Sochaux-Montpeliard - 12

6. Lyon - 10

7. Bordeaux - 9

8. Manchester United - 9

Manchester United

Who has produced the most top-flight players in recent seasons -

1. Barcelona - 38

2. Lyon - 32

3. Real Madrid - 29

4. Rennes - 24

5. Man Utd - 24

6. Bayern Munich - 23

7. Sochaux-Montbeliard - 22

8. Real Sociedad - 21

9. Atlanta - 21

10. Atletico Madrid - 21

Top eight clubs to have produced home-grown players that are currently starring in their first team squad

1. Athletic Bilbao - 16

2. Barcelona - 14

3. Real Sociedad - 14

4. Montpellier - 12

5. Sochaux-Montpeliard - 12

6. Lyon - 10

7. Bordeaux - 9

8. Manchester United - 9

That Man Utd figure will be absolute shite. No way that doesn't include the youngsters they paid millions for who were already starting games at other clubs.

As far as I can see, they only have Lingaard who looks like starting regularly. McNair has a centre midfielder playing ahead of him, Blackett was sent to Celtic and Wilson can't get near the team. Who are the others?

I maybe have a different definition of 'starring' though.

How far back does the first list go? 'Recent seasons' is vague.

• 3 weeks later...