Champions League

How is it mental?

It seems easy for people to label Pele, Maradona, Baresi, Van Basten the best ever...so why is it so mental with Ronaldo and Messi?

ILL give you messi is iconic and skilled enough to be very much up there.

Looking back 15 years I don't even tho k ronaldo is better than zidane or fat Rinaldo.

I know his scoring g rate is incredible but I see that more as a consequence of a poor league and top heavy CL setup.

ILL give you messi is iconic and skilled enough to be very much up there.

Looking back 15 years I don't even tho k ronaldo is better than zidane or fat Rinaldo.

I know his scoring g rate is incredible but I see that more as a consequence of a poor league and top heavy CL setup.

Poor ?

Neither Real, or Barca won the league last year, so it cant be that poor.

And as I posted couple months ago, the EPL, Bundisliga, and even Serie A has more goals per game than La Liga, so players from other leagues should be scoring on par with Messi and Ronaldo.

Messi has already won more Ballon d'Or than anyone else, and with Ronaldo likely to win it again this year, will again show how good he is.

Zidane only won it once, and fat Ronaldo twice.

I do think La Liga is a bit of a joke; AM may have won the league but theyre doing a Dortmund.

Natural order of the old firm will reassert itself soon. This year probably.

Its not a competitive league.

Of that I am sure.

Look at reals transfer fees. That's why the are "destroying" teams. Not cause Rinaldo is the best player ever.

I do think La Liga is a bit of a joke; AM may have won the league but theyre doing a Dortmund.

Of that I am sure.

Look at reals transfer fees. That's why the are "destroying" teams. Not cause Rinaldo is the best player ever.

Transfer fees by buying the best players then?

Bit of a contradiction.

Of that I am sure.

Which top leagues are competitive ? with multiple different winners ?

Relative.

Real thing k nothing g of spending 100m € on a player.

Only barca can match that.

The rest? Broke. On deaths door.

That's why its a poor league; that's the uncompetitive aspect of it.

Compared to the rest of Europe though, the standard must surely be the best. What with the multiple Europa league winners, and of course Atletico getting to the Champions League final.

Relative.

Real thing k nothing g of spending 100m € on a player.

Only barca can match that.

The rest? Broke. On deaths door.

That's why its a poor league; that's the uncompetitive aspect of it.

Valencia spent the same as Man City this season,

Atletico spent 105M Euros

• Upvote 1

Good Q.

Not many are.

But I would say, historically, say 1970 onwards most big leagues have been more competitive than last liga.

I would've said England but I know you throw stats back at me and they'll look awfully skewed by Fergie.

Still nothing will change my point about last liga and its money distribution.

England has 6 or 7 'rich' clubs. Germany 1. Spain two. Most other countries they are all the same, give or take.

Valencia spent the same as Man City this season,

Atletico spent 105M Euros

I accidentally +1d that for you; its xmas n all.

AM got money in from chelsea and others. That why they spent a lot.

How many players did they buy?

I mean you could have Diego costa for Gareth bales left leg. Or james' torso.

Compared to the rest of Europe though, the standard must surely be the best. What with the multiple Europa league winners, and of course Atletico getting to the Champions League final.

I kind of agree with you but am tempted to say that the Europa league is now completely meaningless sadly. Sure it exists but its slowly being managed out the door by uefa.

Good Q.

Not many are.

But I would say, historically, say 1970 onwards most big leagues have been more competitive than last liga.

I would've said England but I know you throw stats back at me and they'll look awfully skewed by Fergie.

Still nothing will change my point about last liga and its money distribution.

England has 6 or 7 'rich' clubs. Germany 1. Spain two. Most other countries they are all the same, give or take.

Bilbao, Deportivo, Valencia, Atletico, Real and Barca have won the league in that period

In Germany Bayern, Dortmund, Wolfburg, Stuttgart, Werder, Kaiserslautern and Hamburg.

Italy has had Roma, Lazio, MIlan, Inter, Juve , Napoli and Sampdoria.

And of reals 30+ the vast majority, if not all, have come in the European Cup era. They were basically a monkey side before Alfredo.

So that's 30 wins in 60 years, give or take.

Wow.

Jeesus min,

You can say much the same for Man United and Liverpool. in fact, Real and Man United won 2 league titles each prior to 1955. (70% of your beloved Man United league titles have came in the last 25 years)

Juventus, Inter and MIlan have 70 titles between them.

• 2 months later...

Jesus Christ you lot are obsessed.

No-one claims that it is "The Best League In The World" any more, listen to Neville's commentary from last night for evidence of that.

I'm sorry but most of them do claim its the best league in the world. Usually after Chelsea or Man City get beat by Hull then the usual "you wouldn't see that in "La Liga blah blah blah" pish comes out.

• Upvote 4

No-one claims that it is "The Best League In The World" any more, listen to Neville's commentary from last night for evidence of that.

You were obviously in outer Mongolia, or Middlesbrough during the recent TV rights deal. it was mentioned copious amounts of times.

At least Gary Neville is realistic, Redknapp's head is so far up the EPL shitter its embarrassing

The latest TalkSport advert is Collymore shouting at the top of his voice: "THAT'S WHY THE BARCLAYS PREMIER LEAGUE IS THE BEST IN THE WORLD FOLKS!!!!!!!!!".

Or something like that.