Out Of Contract

I'd make McKenna captain if Shinnie goes in Jan.

Don't see him potential my leaving in the summer as an impediment to being captain and maybe strengthens our argument to get the best valuation.

If Shinnie is leaving, then we just move McKenna up to captain & either of Devlin, Lewis, or Considine gets vice captain.

Who cares about Shinnies feelings towards being no longer captain if he leaving anyway, as long as he still gets paid his contract he'll be happy. He will perfectly understand our reasons & needs to plan ahead.

Plus, we make McKenna captain then it can certainly do no harm when it comes to his valuation.

We lose McKenna as well, then we make either of the others captain & adjusting their contracts accordingly.

We currently have an abundance of (potentially) decent captains in our squad. We are actually very blessed in that area now compared to the times when we were basically desperately forced to give the rat the armband in an effort to make him sign a ONE year deal. That weakness from McInnes will forever be remembered by me.

• Downvote 1

Spot on MT.

Shinnie I am sure will give 100% for us as long as he is here but if he has not extended his contract once the window closes the captaincy should be stripped immediately.

MT is definitely not spot on. All it would achieve is demotivating an aggrieved Shinnie who would quietly see out the rest of his contract. It maks nae sense.

• Upvote 1

MT is definitely not spot on. All it would achieve is demotivating an aggrieved Shinnie who would quietly see out the rest of his contract. It maks nae sense.

Disagree. Captain should be someone who is committed to the club and to show that he must extend his contract before the window closes.

If all that motivates Shinnie is being the captain then I don't care if it demotivates him as poor example to other players.

No player is bigger than the club.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Disagree. Captain should be someone who is committed to the club and to show that he must extend his contract before the window closes.

If all that motivates Shinnie is being the captain then I don't care if it demotivates him as poor example to other players.

It is an unnecessary slight that achieves nothing and may in fact be detrimental to the onfield performance. It makes the club look petty and vindictive, a point that would not be lost on the other players. Shinnie deserves better for his contribution to the club. McInnes will not make that mistake.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

It is an unnecessary slight that achieves nothing and may in fact be detrimental to the onfield performance. It makes the club look petty and vindictive, a point that would not be lost on the other players. Shinnie deserves better for his contribution to the club. McInnes will not make that mistake.

Agree McInnes will not take the captaincy from his but disagree it would be petty and vindictive.

One of the vast number of reasons I would not make a good manager!!

So you would potentially upset the harmony of the dressing room, just to show him who's boss.

What nonsense.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

June 2019

Tomas Cerny
Mark Reynolds
Andrew Considine
Graeme Shinnie

Sam Roscoe
Gary Mackay-Steven
Frank Ross

Max Lowe - loan return to Derby
Dominic Ball - also out of contract at Rotherham
Tommie Hoban - also out of contract at Watford

Greg Stewart - also out of contract at Birmingham
James Wilson - also out of contract at Man Utd

June 2020

Joe Lewis
Danny Rogers
Shay Logan
Stephen Gleeson
Derek McInnes
Tony Docherty

June 2021

Michael Devlin
Chris Forrester
Scott Wright
Dean Campbell
Connor McLennan
Bruce Anderson
Niall McGinn
Stevie May

June 2022

Lewis Ferguson
Sam Cosgrove

June 2023

Scott McKenna

I guess I can understand where you're coming from, and him leaving (if he is) is not ideal as captain. However, what if he ticks every other box as to what you'd expect in a captain and would still be the best man for the job? Should we cut off our nose to spite our face? Just not exactly sure what point is being made there and to whom.

The line in the sand you're drawing seems fairly arbitrary. If he's letting his contract run down he shouldn't be captain but he should still be allowed to play? Why is the line there? If he isn't fully committed why not drop him and brimg in someone else to the first team then?

I guess I can understand where you're coming from, and him leaving (if he is) is not ideal as captain. However, what if he ticks every other box as to what you'd expect in a captain and would still be the best man for the job? Should we cut off our nose to spite our face? Just not exactly sure what point is being made there and to whom.

The line in the sand you're drawing seems fairly arbitrary. If he's letting his contract run down he shouldn't be captain but he should still be allowed to play? Why is the line there? If he isn't fully committed why not drop him and brimg in someone else to the first team then?

I said in an earlier post that I have no doubt Shinnie will continue to give everything he has on the field. No need to drop him from playing in that case.

It's only my opinion that he should no longer be captain if he is running his contract down. No problem that others have a different opinion.

• Downvote 1