Out Of Contract

We've done really well recently getting good youngsters signed up on decent length contracts. That's to the club's credit, showing faith in their potential and avoiding situations where we cannot command a good fee for those who move on.

Other players in mid career we've had less success with and they generally run their contract down and move on. With some exceptions of course.

That's not just applicable to Aberdeen though and we benefit from it with players from other clubs too. I think we have to accept it, if a player is in his late 20s and wants to leave then we should be renewing those players with younger players anyway. Jack and McLean are the only two who left mid 20s recently that could have stayed and kicked on with us. Shinnie and GMS are at the tail end of their 20s and less of a concern.

Who are the ones who run their contract down and we lose out on, prior to this season, apart from the rat?

Jack.

McLean (although we did well to get a fee and a loan back but he already said way back in November he was leaving at the end of the season)

O'connor and Taylor were both offered new deals but wanted to move on.

Niall McGinn

GMS and Shinnie this year.

So, in answer to my question you have said Jack, who I acknowledged

Mclean who we got a fee for and then oconnor and Taylor?

Lol

You missed Niall McGinn.

McLean announced he was leaving at the end of his contract. We did well to get a fee and loan back which I acknowledged but he was running his contract down regardless.

O'connor and Taylor were definitely offered new deals. Like you I'm pleased they moved on but they ran down their contracts and moved on.

Pawlett might have been offered a contract but I can't remember exactly. He saw the writing on the wall in any case.

And now GMS and Shinnie.

So that's 7, maybe 8 players of you include Pawlett in the 25-30 bracket who have left /are leaving under freedom of contract that the club wanted to keep in the last 2 years. That's quite a lot.

Is it?

Can you tell me how many left hibs, hearts and killie so I can see whether it is in fact a lot or not?

No I can't. I'm not really interested in those clubs and their player contracts.

It may or may not be above or below the average. I couldn't really care.

The point was that a lot of our players tend to move on under freedom of contract in the mid to late 20s age bracket. Whether I rated them or not is not the point, the club wanted to keep them.

Personally I prefer to keep the younger guys with potential. I'm not that bothered about guys moving on in their late 20s.

Kenny McLean is the one exception out of the 7/8 who I would have really wanted to keep.

• Upvote 1

He was shit and let go when his contract finished.

McInnes must have been lying then.

McInnes said: “It’s been indicated that Peter will probably sign a pre-contract with MK Dons, something we’ve aware of for the last couple of weeks.

“We made Peter a good offer but he’s indicated that going to England is something he’s always wanted to do.”

I keep reading that certain players are 'easily' replaced. While I agree losing key players isn't the end of the world, I'm not sure how 'easily' replaced they are.

They're not.

Quite simple really, if it was easy to find players of there level, we'd have more of them in the squad and they wouldnt be key players for us.

And if it was so easy to get them, all our rivals would have more players of similar quality.

It happens everywhere, which is my point

Celtic loan players too yet people think we are daft in doing so

Absolutely zero perspective

Which is why we should continue our policy of signing up promising young players on long term contracts and not lose too much sleep about the Shinnies and Mackay Stevens of this world. Once our players get to 28 or 29 we should have had plenty of time to plan their replacements.

Which is why we should continue our policy of signing up promising young players on long term contracts and not lose too much sleep about the Shinnies and Mackay Stevens of this world. Once our players get to 28 or 29 we should have had plenty of time to plan their replacements.

Good post.

Getting Ferguson signed up on a longer contract will be a great bit of business by the club.

Joe Lewis should be our next priority and if anyone should be our highest paid player it would be him for me.

And do you think he shouldn't protect the player if it is to the trans benefit?

Instead, he should shout out about what's happening to appease the likes of you?

There is also of course the chance that he is telling the truth and they haven't decided yet

Calm down

No way in hell has Shinnie not already got his pre contract signed with someone.

Could read him like a book in his pre hun match RedTv interview. He's just being a dick for not admitting it.

I would be surprised if he's signed for the Huns but with ref protection he would get there like Brown at Tims you never know.

The only reason for the secrecy would be if he's signed for another Scottish club (otherwise it's just strange to keep it quiet)but tbh I would be less surprised if he's done a pre contract with Hearts/Hibs than with one of the arse cheeks.

He's def signed with another club though & I don't care really as he's not a great loss for the wages he gets. Decent manager would easily find similar or even better for his wage

They're not.

Quite simple really, if it was easy to find players of there level, we'd have more of them in the squad and they wouldnt be key players for us.

And if it was so easy to get them, all our rivals would have more players of similar quality.

A decent manager could/should easily replace the likes of Shinnie with as good if not better for the wages like for like.

Problem is when they try & find as good/better on the cheap.

Not sure I would have full faith in McInnes finding one any time soon when you look at the likes of Forrester/Gleeson as his recent efforts but Ferguson offsets them a good bit when you consider he's likely on a pretty low wage & is still young & with a LOT of potential.

Shinnie is not great loss though imo. McLean was a far bigger loss than Shinnie ever will be.

Shinnie has energy & puts in loads of erratic tackles & as a result is taken out of games via bookings (if he turns up in first place) there has been a handful of games where Shinnie has looked 'colossal' as some would put it but a large part of that credit can often be that of a combined decent team performance & goodwill shown to all players as a result.

No way in hell has Shinnie not already got his pre contract signed with someone.

Could read him like a book in his pre hun match RedTv interview. He's just being a dick for not admitting it.

I would be surprised if he's signed for the Huns but with ref protection he would get there like Brown at Tims you never know.

The only reason for the secrecy would be if he's signed for another Scottish club (otherwise it's just strange to keep it quiet)but tbh I would be less surprised if he's done a pre contract with Hearts/Hibs than with one of the arse cheeks.

He's def signed with another club though & I don't care really as he's not a great loss for the wages he gets. Decent manager would easily find similar or even better for his wage

I actually don’t think he has signed for anyone yet. If he had the buying club would have announced it.

My guess is that both he and GMS have both told the club that they are moving on at the end of the season. In all likelihood Shinnie will have 2-3 decent offers and he will take his time in making a decision. He may well get further offers if he pulls his finger out between now and end of season. The reason DM was so pissed off with the news leaking about Ferguson’s new deal was probably that it was going to be the positive news following the announcements of both Shinnie and GMS announcing they are off. Also to add , the club seem to be getting stick for this but not sure what more they can do.

A decent manager could/should easily replace the likes of Shinnie with as good if not better for the wages like for like.

Problem is when they try & find as good/better on the cheap.

Not sure I would have full faith in McInnes finding one any time soon when you look at the likes of Forrester/Gleeson as his recent efforts but Ferguson offsets them a good bit when you consider he's likely on a pretty low wage & is still young & with a LOT of potential.

Shinnie is not great loss though imo. McLean was a far bigger loss than Shinnie ever will be.

Shinnie has energy & puts in loads of erratic tackles & as a result is taken out of games via bookings (if he turns up in first place) there has been a handful of games where Shinnie has looked 'colossal' as some would put it but a large part of that credit can often be that of a combined decent team performance & goodwill shown to all players as a result.

You've posted this about 20 times. Honestly, you're a fucking lunatic.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

You've posted this about 20 times. Honestly, you're a fucking lunatic.

Thought you didn't read it.

So many say they don't read them but the same fools go on about how I keep posting the same things.

It's just waaaaay too easy to make cunts of the likes of you. Half of you don't even realise it until it's too late.

Anyway

Shinnie is pretty average, even pretty gash sometimes. Easily replaced for his wage.

What you think?