Motherwell

He wasn't at Leicester a year so hardly regarded as a susccessful tenure.

What did he win at Motherwell?

My point is, he's never been successful.

The fans didn't want him to leave Leicester - they thought he was a good manager. Same at Millwall.

Don't think Motherwell judge success on trophies. They have won two trophies in 60 years (not including diddy divisions etc.) - I don't think they employ a manager on the basis they are going to fill their trophy cabinet.

I'm not defending the cunt, his time at Aberdeen was fucking eye-bleedingly bad. I'm just saying that not everyone feels the same as Dons fans about McGhee's capabilities. Fans of some clubs would regard him as a good manager.

I think he'll manage to get Motherwell mid-table somewhere.

The fans didn't want him to leave Leicester - they thought he was a good manager. Same at Millwall.

Don't think Motherwell judge success on trophies. They have won two trophies in 60 years (not including diddy divisions etc.) - I don't think they employ a manager on the basis they are going to fill their trophy cabinet.

I'm not defending the cunt, his time at Aberdeen was fucking eye-bleedingly bad. I'm just saying that not everyone feels the same as Dons fans about McGhee's capabilities. Fans of some clubs would regard him as a good manager.

The director of the new zombie - what remains after the nuclear holocaust is extremely excited about McGhee as a prospect.

Which will probably see him sacked eventually. Motherwells standards are abit higher than the likes of Ross County or Kilmarnock. I certainly associate them with having good sides who are normally challenging up the top end.

Going by Pie and Bovril, the Motherwell fans are up in arms about this appointment. 'Seething' sums it up.

don't know if he did?

he was asked to play for his country and it sounds like McGhee and leitch were utter bams, so to hell with them

He was asked to play for Nigeria? He's from England.

He just decided to go without even speaking to the club about it, seems an odd thing to do.

Absolute clunt of a man.

However, he does point to some of the deeper problems that existed at the time. A team of lazy no hopers with loyalties elsewhere.

A dark time for the club all round.

Indeed, though it went alot deeper than team. The whole club was like that until Yule came on board.

Absolute clunt of a man.

However, he does point to some of the deeper problems that existed at the time. A team of lazy no hopers with loyalties elsewhere.

A dark time for the club all round.

Hold on Millertime, I've got this one!

a team of no-hopers that finished fourth and got into Europe, you mean?

Was the wrong time for Mcghee. Everyone was delighted when he joined but was soon clear he never had the dressing room. It was still full of JC's old boys and cliques.

Hold no hard feelings towards Mcghee at all. That interview someone posted up is probably all spot on and at the time could well imagine Chrissy Maguire shitting it and runnin off to grass for getting a dressing down.

Good Points

“I didn’t feel that at Aberdeen. In fact, from a players’ point of view, there was some sort of resentment towards me, a resentment I didn’t understand. I imagined I was coming home, but it wasn’t like that at all. I needed to jazz the place up: it needed two million volts. The girl on the desk couldnae look me in the eye: there were wee cliques. It needed to change.”

Let’s return to the players. McGhee, you suspect, would love to talk in specifics about guys he believes have been at Pittodrie too long. Instead, he generalises. “At Motherwell they embraced 4-3-3 and all the other things I wanted to do with them. I went to Aberdeen and it was like talking a foreign language. There was non-cooperation in terms of getting a system going, and the training was, well… ‘training on a Sunday? We don’t train on Sundays’.”
Fucking terrible point!

Surely, his European Cup-Winners’ Cup medal gave him some currency with the fans? “The new generation of Aberdeen supporters couldn’t give a monkey’s about Mark McGhee and the Gothenburg Greats. I could have been somebody they’d never heard of walking in the door. The past was of no relevance whatsoever.

He said just after his appointment, he didn't want any special treatment and that his past glories didn't count for anything. He got what he asked for!

To be fair to McGhee and it pains me to admit it yknow,

He did try to instill a modicum of professionalism on a bunch of lazy, work shy, shyster's.

I think that's why he was on a hiding to nothing from the word go. Add that to his comments about rasellik and the job was done then!

To be fair to McGhee and it pains me to admit it yknow,

He did try to instill a modicum of professionalism on a bunch of lazy, work shy, shyster's.

The team had just finished 4th and qualified for europe. It probably needed a bit of tinkering, 3 or 4 good players to come in to move things on. That's probably what the board thought.

What McGhee done is the stuff of nightmares, he took a respectable spl outfit and turned it into a shambles, the 9-0 game being the worst of all. I wasn't sure when he got the job but after Sigma I feared the worst, that was awful.

“I saw me leaving here as a positive for Motherwell,” he explained. “At the time they were having such financial problems and me leaving here, trust me, helped them out big time [in terms of compensation]. I still get thanks from [then owner] John Boyle for that.

“Sometimes the fans don’t get the whole story. I didn’t leave here to go to Aberdeen, I left here thinking I was probably going to Celtic and ended up at Aberdeen, which was part of the problem which I eventually had.”

Christ