Us Open Golf 2015

Starts later today at Chambers Bay, WA. Doesn’t look like you’re typical US open course, more Links-like. What’s your thoughts on this one then? Looks like accuracy is key so might not favour the big hitters. Mickelson’s my main pick, in decent form and will have the motivation of wanting to complete the career slam. Tends to do well on these types of courses so expect him to be up there come Sunday. Think the Asian contingent could do well, especially Matsuyama and Byeong-Hun An (former amateur champ on this course). Other sleepers I might have an e/w punt on are Brooks Koepka, Francesco Molinari & Ben Martin. As for ‘Wids’, making the cut will probably be an achievement sadly. Hoping Monty can roll back the years and have a good week too. Don’t expect much from the other Scots in the field although Russell Knox probably in the best form coming into this so maybe a glimmer of hope.

This ^^^.

I loved his comment post round though. Tiger shot 80. His review. "I kicked Ricki's Butt" (Fowler shot 81). :hysterical:

That's what the guy needs. The ability to have a laugh at it.

Didn't see much of it but the greens looked shocking. I see Sergio having a go this morning. OK the delineation of fairway to green isn't great for tv which I think will be the lasting impression. But that's the price you pay for televising true links and you can see how the yank target golfers are way out of their comfort zone.

BUT up close almost every putt is taking a hop, skip and a jump and, as Mickelson says, you daren't hit it hard to take the wobbles out in case you miss and leave yourself worse on the way back. That, to me, is simply a function of it being a new course so why the hell you would try and play the US open on what was a sand quarry in 2007 is beyond me.

I would love Monty to win but if Dustin can keep his head clear and his drives straight he'll be tough to beat. A lot of dangerous players -1 up though!

The scoring was pretty good considering the state of the greens, much lower than you usually expect for a US Open. Agree that it was a strange choice of course given its relative youth. Can only assume they wanted somewhere on the west coast to host this year (unsociable hours for us UK’ers).

Only saw the first few holes of Tigers group and I’m amazed that the best score of the trio was Oosthuizen’s +7! Fowler almost binned it in 1 on a par 4 and still shot 11 over.
Conditions were fairly benign and the early starters probably have a slight advantage. If the wind picks up it could be a different beast