New Club Captain - Ryan Jack

Could be an astute move by DM. Personally, who wears a piece of cloth on their arm with a 'C' on it is irrelevant. It shouldn't be required to be a leader or do your best. Jack will be ok; Reynolds and the older guys will continue to lead and Shinnie will be a de facto captain anyway. I don't think who captains a team is that important.

Could be an astute move by DM. Personally, who wears a piece of cloth on their arm with a 'C' on it is irrelevant. It shouldn't be required to be a leader or do your best. Jack will be ok; Reynolds and the older guys will continue to lead and Shinnie will be a de facto captain anyway. I don't think who captains a team is that important.

The captain of the team/club is a fairly important role, on the pitch it can make a big difference in games. Your point about players all having to lead is spot on, but you do still need a figurehead. Russell was hugely proud to be captain and I think a lot of his performances were better as he knew he was being a good example to the others and to the fans. I've seen some players change from average to best on the pitch by being made captain and it boosts the team too. But I'm sure we'll see soon

The captain of the team/club is a fairly important role, on the pitch it can make a big difference in games. Your point about players all having to lead is spot on, but you do still need a figurehead. Russell was hugely proud to be captain and I think a lot of his performances were better as he knew he was being a good example to the others and to the fans. I've seen some players change from average to best on the pitch by being made captain and it boosts the team too. But I'm sure we'll see soon

Not taking anything away from your points but....

We had our best league performance in 20 odd years last season with our captain on the physio table throughout.

We now have a team that has 6 or 7 players that have been captain of other teams. It's a team of winners and leaders. I'm sure Jack will be able to rely on them for advice and will also become a leader on the pitch.

Anderson was the same when he was handed the armband. Quiet, unassuming, sometimes got lost in games. Lots said he was a bad choice at the time, he's now the closest thing we've had to a legend in near 30 years. Not saying Jack will become the same but he's in the same mould in my opinion.

• Upvote 1

We had our best league performance in 20 odd years last season with our captain on the physio table throughout.

We now have a team that has 6 or 7 players that have been captain of other teams. It's a team of winners and leaders. I'm sure Jack will be able to rely on them for advice and will also become a leader on the pitch.

Anderson was the same when he was handed the armband. Quiet, unassuming, sometimes got lost in games. Lots said he was a bad choice at the time, he's now the closest thing we've had to a legend in near 30 years. Not saying Jack will become the same but he's in the same mould in my opinion.

Well said.

Agreed,

Hopefully if Jack is captain it means the end of the road for Flood as a regular starter. Jack needs someone more creative alongside him. The difference when Hayes played beside Jack compared to Flood was day and night and results showed this.

Very much agreed.

Was at first a tad surprised about Jacko being made club captain; had just assumed Reynolds would be given it. Thinking about the appointment since though has made me realise it shouldn't really come as a surprise at all.

Ever since McInnes walked in the door it's been clear that Jack's a player he took an instant like to. Always got the impression that McInnes sees a lot of himself in Jack, and values him as one of the most important players in the starting XI.

Whilst I felt Jack had an excellent season in 14/15, he seemed to just lack that little bit of bite in games, especially those against Celtic. But I don't think it would be unfair to suggest that he perhaps felt a little cautious about that since Anderson was the club captain, Reynolds had been wearing the armband for most of the season, Considine was Reynolds' 'deputy', and the likes of Robson and Flood (guys who would be close to him on the pitch) are experienced and don't hold back in giving orders and barking at a teammate or opponent from time to time. Would have been perfectly natural for Jack to feel like he would be stepping on their toes if he were to rise to the challenge of the likes of Scott Brown etc in some games.

I think that's why it makes perfect sense for McInnes to make him the captain. It gives him the justification to get stuck in and to not be cautious about whose parade he might be pissing on. This decision will have the other players in the dressing room looking at him slightly differently (all for good reason) and given the nature of the squad we have, the respect will come automatically. I have no doubt that now he's the captain he'll match the faith McInnes has put in him.

And also, this should add a fair bit to his asking price.

Was at first a tad surprised about Jacko being made club captain; had just assumed Reynolds would be given it. Thinking about the appointment since though has made me realise it shouldn't really come as a surprise at all.

Ever since McInnes walked in the door it's been clear that Jack's a player he took an instant like to. Always got the impression that McInnes sees a lot of himself in Jack, and values him as one of the most important players in the starting XI.

Whilst I felt Jack had an excellent season in 14/15, he seemed to just lack that little bit of bite in games, especially those against Celtic. But I don't think it would be unfair to suggest that he perhaps felt a little cautious about that since Anderson was the club captain, Reynolds had been wearing the armband for most of the season, Considine was Reynolds' 'deputy', and the likes of Robson and Flood (guys who would be close to him on the pitch) are experienced and don't hold back in giving orders and barking at a teammate or opponent from time to time. Would have been perfectly natural for Jack to feel like he would be stepping on their toes if he were to rise to the challenge of the likes of Scott Brown etc in some games.

I think that's why it makes perfect sense for McInnes to make him the captain. It gives him the justification to get stuck in and to not be cautious about whose parade he might be pissing on. This decision will have the other players in the dressing room looking at him slightly differently (all for good reason) and given the nature of the squad we have, the respect will come automatically. I have no doubt that now he's the captain he'll match the faith McInnes has put in him.

And also, this should add a fair bit to his asking price.

Good post

+1

I suppose it's quite rare for a player to be stripped of the captaincy whilst still remaining at the club. Especially after guiding the club to it's best season in over 20 years.

McInnes seems to really want to take this squad to the next level.

Will be absolutely delighted to be proven wrong about this one.

I like this chat, didn't Jack get booked for basically telling Flood to fuck off in a game this season? Might've been last year, but I thought that was great. Don't take shit off anyone even senior pros

He got booked for headbutting him. If only he showed that type of fight when up against Scott Brown (The Celtic mink nae our one)

He got booked for headbutting him. If only he showed that type of fight when up against Scott Brown (The Celtic mink nae our one)

I think this is the key point about Jack as captain. To be the kind of captain we need he doesn't just have to put up a fight against that ugly bastard, he has be him. He has to become Aberdeen's Scott Brown. Sadly I don't think he's got it in him.

I think this is the key point about Jack as captain. To be the kind of captain we need he doesn't just have to put up a fight against that ugly bastard, he has be him. He has to become Aberdeen's Scott Brown. Sadly I don't think he's got it in him.

No he does not have it in him ! He was the same Ryan Jack of last season last night , 3/5 yard passes and poofy tackling . I hate Scott Brown but jack needs to model himself on him.

Scott Brown only gets away with his shenanigans because he plays for Celtic. If Jack tries to become that type of player he'll be red carded every game. Jack is too good to play like that dirty shit bag anyway. Unlike Brown he's got talent.

There's not much to elaborate. He's a defensive midfielder who does his job very well. He might not stand out as a match winner in every game but he is essential in every game, much like Heikenen and Osbourne before him. He's been told not to go to far up the pitch by McInnes (by the gaffer's own admission) so had to adapt last season where he still did very well. Once he settles he'll get into his stride and stop shirking tackles. Saw him a few times in close ups talking to the players around him and he seems to be following in Anderson's model by not shouting like a banshee at any given opportunity like some other captains.

Told not to go to far up , he was told the opposite and to add goals to his game. Your missing my point , he's not as great as some people on here think he is. He has no stand out qualities . And is not captain material - yet . I hope being captain brings his game on however

Told not to go to far up , he was told the opposite and to add goals to his game. Your missing my point , he's not as great as some people on here think he is. He has no stand out qualities . And is not captain material - yet . I hope being captain brings his game on however

Pish! McInnes said he didn't score too many goals because he was telling him to keep back.

What stand out qualities do you want him to have?

The not being captain material I'd agree with so far but we're only one game into the season. Expecting a ready made captain just isn't going to happen. He needs to grow into the role and he will.