Hibernian V Aberdeen (2 - 0)

In hindsight, should really have brought Quinn on to replace Shinnie. Could have kept a normal back four that way. Still have no idea what that formation was about in the second half. Was Logan seriously playing as a right centre back?

Shocking performances from McLaughlin (can confidently say he'll never play for Liverpool) and Pawlett (utterly abysmal, in fact).

No doubt the injuries obliterated our game plan, but could have been dealt with much better. Ach well, he took a gamble and it didn't pay off.

We'll get over this pretty quickly if our league form continues the way it has been going. This will certainly be a real pain in the neck if we exit at a similar stage in the Scottish Cup, mind.

Really disappointed with tonights shambles.

It's not the going out of the cup. It's always nice to get to semi finals, finals and win cups. We started with effectively a 1st choice 11 which I think was a mistake. Smith, Robson etc should have come in. Not fielding the u20 team but a few changes (see my potential lineup somewhere in this thread). We risked players who are very important, yes we were unlucky but we've not potentially lost a key player in Shinnie.

The subs were baffling as was the line-up. Pawlett is not a left wing back. I have no idea why we felt we had to match up to Hibs with a back 5. Surely Quinn on, Consi to LB is the obvious answer?

Not the end of the world but McInnes takes a fair amount of the responsibility for this. He's still a good manager and we can still be successful. He has flaws which have been exposed again. A lack of squad rotation and strange/late substitutions. He acknowledged last season he needed to use the squad better but not really seeing it.

We're out of the league cup, life goes on. Lets beat Caley on Saturday. COYR!

Good post

Thing is Kelt the league cup is only one more game this year and then the semi and final are after the January transfer window. it is far from a strain on the squad having one more match. McInnes fucked up. To say we dont have the resources for one extra game this year is clearly ridiculous

May only be one more game this season but do you honestly believe that our "best eleven" turned up tonight? Even the players (like it or not) didn't give too much of a shite because they are more concerned with staying fit (& not suspended) for the league (& Scottish cup when it comes around). We should have rotated a good few of the players tonight. For numerous reasons as the game itself has proved.

Fringe players would have given more & also played with little or no fear. Not saying change the whole first team but cannot say that anyone playing tonight gave their all to that game. That's just the truth of it. Didn't help that some of the fringe players that did actually get on were shit also (but a couple mostly because that's basically their level).

Don't think ANY of the first eleven players were ever fully committed to this game. That is something McInnes should be picking up on in training & making the changes accordingly for the game.

No issues, still think we're doing very, very well. Just want to ask, what went wrong? No criticisms to anyone, just what went wrong? Dek, still think you're the man for the job, but what happened?

Stubbs got his tactics spot on. They let Mclean and Jack slow it down, sat deep and marked Rooney and Goodie tightly. We looked tired and out of sorts however and didn't show enough appetite for the occasion. What really went wrong though is that we lost our shape completely through enforced substitutions. We ended up with Mclaughlin and Peter Pawlett as wing-backs in a 3-5-2 with Logan as a CB??! We were top-heavy with four forwards (& Mclean) on the pitch and lost the game in midfield where we were neither effective defensively or creatively. With hindsight Derek will realise it would have made more sense to have brought-on Quinn for Flood pushing Considine to LB and Shinnie into midfield. Rooney & Goodie together didnt work. That apart Hibs wanted it more and scored a great goal to break the deadlock. Does that answer your question?!

COYR

everyone is getting too wound up over one bad performance and loss, we've just won 8 in a row ffs, only 5 years ago we had Stuart duff and Derek young at full back and were losing 9-0 to Celtic and 5-0 to hearts, when we went behind in games I used to hope that we'd just keep the scoreline never mind getting back in it

One main thought from tonight is that Pawlett is the biggest waste of a shirt in our squad.

Flatters to deceive constantly and spends most of the game hiding . Just watch him next time , avoids running in to space time and time again or attacking the fullback.

Wimpy waste of space cruising off 3-4 decent games a long time ago.

This ! I doubt he will feature much more after that , would rather play smith or Parker who at least has pace .

everyone is getting too wound up over one bad performance and loss, we've just won 8 in a row ffs, only 5 years ago we had Stuart duff and Derek young at full back and were losing 9-0 to Celtic and 5-0 to hearts, when we went behind in games I used to hope that we'd just keep the scoreline never mind getting back in it

It's a football forum.

It's what we do & why we're here.

Think the biggest gripe most have is the loss of Shinnie (that's HUGE) & also that this poor poor showing may have knocked some stuffing out of us & given our opponents a much needed boost when it comes to facing us. That's what happens in football.

McInnes & the team he selected tonight failed miserably (no matter which way you slice & dice it) & that is the thing most are pissed off with.

Hopefully it strengthens us going into Saturday because we will need a much better performance v Caley.

I said to my daughter before this kicked off I'd rather we lose, league is the only priority with the position we've got ourselves into, Celtic playing every midweek while we kick back with our feet up will do us no harm, league cup is mickey mouse, the over celebrating when we won it a couple years back was an embarrassment, no Euro place, not worth a dime.

We should have fielded our kids, playing Shinnie in games like this just isn't worth it....as tonight has proved.

Dayts you are definitely on the wind-up here. In some of the other threads you were saying we've got no chance of winning the league... offering out odds of 100/1 on Aberdeen.

It's all been said here, but the subs fucked us over tonight. Taking Pawlett on, in principle, isn't a bad idea except we currently have that guy who pretends to be Peter Pawlett rather than the swashbuckling buzzbomb we had 2 years ago. But taking on McLaughlin instead of Quinn was wrong.

4-5-1 to 4-4-2 to 3-4-3 to 0-0-fuckingeverybody didn't help matters either. And McLaughlin's tracking back when he was push forward into the right midfield role was straight out of the Sone Aluko school of defending.

Shinnie's injury - my mate spotted him grab at his hamstring about 2/3 minutes before he went off, but he seemed to go off with a foot/ankle injury. Fingers crossed it's not serious.

Pissed off, but far rather get that performance out of our system now.

It's all been said here, but the subs fucked us over tonight. Taking Pawlett on, in principle, isn't a bad idea except we currently have that guy who pretends to be Peter Pawlett rather than the swashbuckling buzzbomb we had 2 years ago. But taking on McLaughlin instead of Quinn was wrong.

4-5-1 to 4-4-2 to 3-4-3 to 0-0-fuckingeverybody didn't help matters either. And McLaughlin's tracking back when he was push forward into the right midfield role was straight out of the Sone Aluko school of defending.

Shinnie's injury - my mate spotted him grab at his hamstring about 2/3 minutes before he went off, but he seemed to go off with a foot/ankle injury. Fingers crossed it's not serious.

Pissed off, but far rather get that performance out of our system now.

I heard he's being measured for a prosthetic as we type

Guest milne_afc

The Liverpool boy is fucking shite.

If we're taking flumps like that on loan, it doesn't bode well for the *youth system*.

Wouldn't mind being out the cup if players were rested and fringers got a wee run, but losing Shinnie and an all round howling performance is shite preparation for the best day on the drink of the season.

Even Stubbs thinks it's a diddy cup. Even their league game v St Mirren on Saturday is bigger....... He kens the score

"Jason had run his course, he was starting to cramp up a little bit and we've obviously got a more important game on Saturday against St Mirren and we want to get the lads recovered.

"That's what having a good squad is all about, you bring players off and put some on who can do just as good a job and tonight the subs worked.

"I thought it was a really close game but I think over we maybe just shaded it."

Aberdeen manager Derek McInnes saw first-half injuries to Willo Flood and Graeme Shinnie disrupt his plans at Easter Road.

"Hibs showed that wee bit of quality in the final third that gets them through the tie, I think Alan's assessment of the game is right," said McInnes.

"I thought Hibs' first half had a bit more of the play than I would have wanted. I thought second half we controlled the game without being overly threatening.

"Hibs played a system we've played ourselves in Europe a couple of times - they condensed the middle of the park, they went with the extra defender at back and we had to try and come up with the answers when we were a left-sided player short when Shinnie went off and [we were] already without Jonny Hayes.

"We weren't as well balanced as we normally are as a team and a couple enforced changes don't help matters.

"That said, I think Hibs deserved it. They found an answer, that bit of quality and the way the game was going that first goal was always going to be important."

Horrible night.

Losing the best player in the world to an injury.

Losing to a pish hibs side again.

Hibs are to us what we were to Motherwell a few years ago.

Not sure if anyone has mentioned it but not bringing on Quinn wasn't smart !

Did like seeing Quinn trying to raise our spirits after their 1st went in. Love his attitude. Need more like him.

McLaughlin is a waste of oxygen and pawlett was utterly dreadful. Thought Rooney should have had a penalty near the end. Looked like a trip yet ref gave nothing. Thought mcginn was dangerous but everyone else was rank.

Please don't let ash take more free kicks.

Really really wanted another trophy. Only 2 chances left now

Dayts you are definitely on the wind-up here. In some of the other threads you were saying we've got no chance of winning the league... offering out odds of 100/1 on Aberdeen.

Aye I was pissed when I gave the 100/1 odds and on the wind up, I think we will win, had my sober head on tonight.

I'm not going to honour any bets btw, sue me if you want your cash, I'll see you in court. :)

League cup is a joke, great day out at the semi and final but celebrating with an open top bus down Union street, lol, just ugh.

The Liverpool boy is fucking shite.

If we're taking flumps like that on loan, it doesn't bode well for the *youth system*.

Wouldn't mind being out the cup if players were rested and fringers got a wee run, but losing Shinnie and an all round howling performance is shite preparation for the best day on the drink of the season.

I've seen most U20 games this year pal, we don't have much coming through, for whatever reason 18 seems to be the upper age limit for the team with most being younger, big step up from that to the big team, Turriff destroyed them, men against boys. Reserve league would be better, give the prospects a time to baulk out and grow, I think we're too quick to bin the young guys.

Nuttal is a player but by fuck he's lazy, needs a rocket up his arse if he's not going to spend his life labouring on a building site.