Home Internationals

uni_don

Sunday Herald has the same story

They suggest that any tournament might not necessarily be for the Full international sides but possibly for the u21s, which would make sense given the reduction in u21 games due to the change in qualification for the Euro u21 championship. However talks are still at a very early stage and I suppose their hope is to have a full international tournament.

Would have thought that any tournament would be played either at the end of the season like the Kirin Cup, or perhaps more likely, during the season replacing our current Friendly Internationals. Would seem to be more worthwhile having a competitive match than a friendly, although I guess you would lose out playing against different styles of play.

Of course the whole thing would be more attractive (and lucrative) with the Auld Enemy involved (but then so would potential crowd trouble) but I don't see why a tournament with Scotland, Wales, N.Ireland and Eire couldn't be a success.

Whats the point in calling it the "home" nations with the foreign irish lot in it? Would be pointless friendlies. I would love to see the home nations started up again but I think there will be too many stumbling blocks. I think it would just be nice to make something like the calcutta cup, but every 2 years against England.

Whats the point in calling it the "home" nations with the foreign irish lot in it?

That's why they were proposing calling it the Celtic League, or words to that effect. The Irish would be invited in to replace the English who will be too busy playing the likes of Paraguay in boring non-events.

Without England there is no point

not true - thst presuposes that every competitive match we play is meaningless unless we play England.

The English, if i may suppose would A : not see this event as a comercial event ( which it would be )

and B: They players probably wouldnt fancy it - as you'd reckon they'd treat itl ike a freindly, and not expect the battering they'de get from the other sides.

out of interest - Am i right in thinknig in each of Englands last matches against the home nations & Ireland, they've lost - they certainly have had a poor run against the home nations, espcially away from home.

Its a nice idea but I personally don't see the point of the senior international side possibly limiting the teams they could play in friendlies by taking part in a new home international tournament. The football calender is crowded enough as it is.

However if the changes to the structure of the international game at U21 level means there are less games for them to play then maybe it would be worthwhile setting up an U21 Home International tournament. Hopefully such games would be spread around with the likes of Pittodrie and Tannadice getting some games.

not true - thst presuposes that every competitive match we play is meaningless unless we play England.

The English, if i may suppose would A : not see this event as a comercial event ( which it would be )

and B: They players probably wouldnt fancy it - as you'd reckon they'd treat itl ike a freindly, and not expect the battering they'de get from the other sides.

out of interest - Am i right in thinknig in each of Englands last matches against the home nations & Ireland, they've lost - they certainly have had a poor run against the home nations, espcially away from home.

Well if a series of friendly internationals against Wales and Northern Ireland rocks your boat then all power to you :checkit:

However, remembering the old home internationals there was only one game that mattered.

The football calender is crowded enough as it is.

it's only an extra 3 games, we could drop a couple of friendlies. who have we played in the last few years? austria a couple of times, all the scandinavian teams? ireland and wales! usa and canada, would we have learned more from these games than a home international/celtic league? make it b/future squad internationals then they can play on a tuesday if the full team plays a world cup qualifier on a wednesday

Guest LondonScottish
Well if a series of friendly internationals against Wales and Northern Ireland rocks your boat then all power to you :checkit:

However, remembering the old home internationals there was only one game that mattered.

Correct

Well if a series of friendly internationals against Wales and Northern Ireland rocks your boat then all power to you :crossfingers:

I wholeheartedly agree.

Thats like only dons matches against the OF matter - every game counts in my view, sure some get us more wound up, but EVERY game counts.

It's nothing like that at all.

All cup games mean something because they are competitive. The other 30+ league games mean something becuase they are competitive.

Friendly games against N. Ireland or Wales every other year are not even in the same ball park. In fact they would be f**king boring after a few years - in fact, just like they were in the 70's and 80's.

Archived