Gary O'Connor's Ego

Slim

"I really should have called Walter myself and told him about my family problems," he told Sport Express.

"In the near future I'll offer my apologies to the SFA."

"I hope that for the next [scotland]match I will be invited."

"It may not sound modest, but at the end of the day I am one of the best Scottish strikers and I have the right to play for the national team."

"I had talks with the club manager Sergei Lipatov and the new president Yuric Syomin," he said.

"They immediately let me know that they wanted me to stay at the club and are prepared to improve the living conditions for me.

"Most probably we will move to a house out of town. Also the club management have promised us a driver, a nanny for our son and a Russian teacher for me.

"It's too early to say, we need to wait until the summer at least.

"If everything turns out okay, I will see out my contract with Lokomotiv with pleasure.

"I have said on more than one occasion that I personally have no problem here."

"All negotiations with the Loko leadership and potential buyers were conducted by my agent Gary Mackay, so therefore I don't know all the details," O'Connor said.

"I only heard that Wigan, Aston Villa, Norwich, Birmingham and West Brom were interested in my services.

"It's true that the last three options I would have turned down since these clubs do not play in the Premier League."

Christ, does this boy love himself or what? Fairly big words for someone that's achieved next to f*ck all in the game.

I wouldn't read too much into the content of this.

Any quotes have been translated from Russian into English, after already initially going from English into Russian.

I would doubt those are the actual words O'Connor used.

Though it did remind me of when he said he was moving to Rangers.

I would not let him play for Scotland again!! He said it was family reasons, fair enough if you call getting pished with your mates family reasons! He showed no respect for the country so i don't see why he should get back in the team, and he didn't even come out straight away and say am sorry, big headed d*ck!

IMO he isn' that good anyway and i would play Naismith upfront before him.

I would not let him play for Scotland again!! He said it was family reasons, fair enough if you call getting pished with your mates family reasons! He showed no respect for the country so i don't see why he should get back in the team, and he didn't even come out straight away and say am sorry, big headed d*ck!

IMO he isn' that good anyway and i would play Naismith upfront before him.

The fact he is speaking to the media, whether Russian or British media, before he has spoken to anyone to do with Scotland says it all about his attitude!!

Guest CAPSLOCK

STRIKERS THRIVE ON CONFIDENCE AND I HAVEN'T GOT ONE JOT OF MALACE TOWARDS HIM FOR SAYING WHAT HE DID.

GOOD ON HIM WHETHER ANY OF IT IS TRUE OR NOT.

STRIKERS THRIVE ON CONFIDENCE AND I HAVEN'T GOT ONE JOT OF MALACE TOWARDS HIM FOR SAYING WHAT HE DID.

GOOD ON HIM WHETHER ANY OF IT IS TRUE OR NOT.

Good on him for walking out on Scotland, not turning up for a flight to crucial qualifying match with no warning whatsoever and still not phoned anyone to do with Scotland to explain why? Or good on him for going to the media and still not having phoned anyone from Scotland team to explain or apologise?

Guest TenementFunster
Good on him for walking out on Scotland, not turning up for a flight to crucial qualifying match with no warning whatsoever and still not phoned anyone to do with Scotland to explain why? Or good on him for going to the media and still not having phoned anyone from Scotland team to explain or apologise?

The boy is a cock. Good player he may be but only in s Scottish context. As was said before, he has achieved next to eff all and should keep his head down and do a bit before shouting his mouth off.

However, unfortunately he is correct in stating that he is one of the best Scottish strikers around. :itch-chin:

To be fair, there's hardly any competition for being one of the best Scottish strikers, Darren Mackie could probably claim to be 'one of the best Scottish strikers'. Steve Crawford couldn't, however, as he's sh*te.

I've taken the following from TAMB, where one guy has translated the article from the original Russian

I've taken the liberty of translating the original interview from here:

Garry O'Connor: "If everything's OK up to the summer, then I'll happily stay at Lokomotiv

Why did you seemingly change your decision about staying at Lokomotiv in January?

I held talks with the boss, Sergei Lipatovii and the new President, Seminii. They led me to understand that they wanted me to be in the team, and as a result were prepared to improve my wife Liza's living conditions.

-Did this promise help you to convince your wife?

It's a bit early to talk about that now. We need to wait, maybe till summer. And if everything's fine, I'll happily stay at Lokomotiv till the end of my contract. I've said many times that I don't have personal problems. I feel comfortable enough playing for the team.

-All the same, as far as I understand, your transfer from Lokomotiv broke down due to external factors? [don't mess about these Russian journos, do they?]My agent, Gary Mackay, dealt with all the talks with the Lokomotiv board and potential buyers. I don't know all the details myself. I only heard that Wigan, Aston Villa, Norwich, Birmingham and West Brom were all interested in my services. In truth, I would have knocked back the last three myself, as they all these teams play in the second division.

I also have some basic Russian myself and this seems to be a pretty good job.

Interestingly this bit DOES NOT APPEAR IN THE RUSSIAN INTERVIEW in Sport Express:

"I really should have called Walter myself and told him about my family problems," he told Sport Express.

"In the near future I'll offer my apologies to the SFA."

"I hope that for the next [scotland]match I will be invited."

"It may not sound modest, but at the end of the day I am one of the best Scottish strikers and I have the right to play for the national team."

So basically our tabloids made this bit up? The rest of it is not particularly controversial.

The whole David Weir/Berti Vogts fiasco a few years back didn't bother me at all. Vogts, an appalling man manager, was bang out of order with the way he dealt so publicly with him (and likewise Kevin McNaughton) that Weir was well within his rights to act the way he did towards a manager who showed him such disrespect. Regardless of whom it was he was playing for, the head rules the heart in these instances and I think he did the right thing in the circumstances.

If the SFA are willing to listen to O'Connor's side of the story and accept it and thus allow him back into the fold, then that is good enough for me and it ought to be good enough for everyone else too rather than spouting off about stuff they don't know about. If his explanation isn't good enough, then f*ck him, he's blown it.

Archived