I think some over rate him, most of us though know he's a good Scottish prem striker and probably the best we can get right now. The only way we're going up a level of player is for the players we have right now to progress further in Europe, win a couple of cups and win the league. That way we then have the cash to go up a level and get a striker that is an all rounder instead of a box finisher that scores 1 chance every 10 every second game or so.

McGinn would be a better option up front in my opinion but then we dont have the support to put around him that can also score. His first season is all I base that on however he can pass, bring others in and put the ball in the back of the net.

That's fair enough.

Rooney is a good SPL striker, no doubt.

Should discuss on a Rooney thread anyway, boys played well tonight but that cheat ruined the game.

Feel for Lewis, can't be blamed for the goal.

Really is no words. I've been watching the dons since 95 and I have never experienced such a sustained period of refereeing injustices as we've had since mcinnes took over.

I would say it was getting beyond a joke, but it got beyond a joke when Collum was allowed to ref the away game at caley.

McInnes seriously needs to embark on a clarification campaign ala Neil Lennon or it will just keep happening.

Where to begin with that. Not sure where the anger should be vented.

A large portion of the blame lies with ourselves for going out. Cut through a very ordinary defence on numerous occasions over the two legs, but posted missing when it came to putting the ball away.

That doesn't mean any blame should be deflected from the referee. A disgusting performance. Completely lost control of the match and was making it up as he went along. He got so much wrong with that penalty kick incident it's laughable. Can't even hide behind the new rules because it was a red regardless and even if he was sticking to the yellow - he MUST allow advantage. Utter disgrace. The effect that had on Rooney was obvious. Players were fizzing with the ref prior to the taking of the pen, and it was clear Rooney hadn't cleared his head.

The Stockley red card - laughable. Genuinely hilarious that a professional referee interprets that as two yellows. Anyone saying McInnes should have seen that coming, away you go. You cannot be handicapped like that by what a referee might or might not do. The referee is there to do a job and so is McInnes.

Their goal - inconsequential. I do hope Lewis does not dwell on that one bit.

Overall - devastated for the management team in particular who must be sick to the back teeth of these qualifiers now. I wouldn't blame them if they genuinely questioned the point in qualifying for this tournament. An utter shit show designed to get the likes of us out as early as possible.

Kudos to McInnes and Docherty for keeping their cool throughout though. With what was going on, many people would have crossed the line and lamped the officials.

Also, some very good individual performances tonight. Burns looked very good in attack; Jack and Shinnie formed a fine partnership too.

• Upvote 4

We're a better team than the Slovenian mob. Certainly using the evidence over the two legs.

Big up to the travelling support. I salute every one of you. You're a credit to yourselves and the team over your conduct.

We witnessed quite possibly the worst refereeing performance we are ever likely to see anywhere anytime. An absurd performance. Only thing he did right was award a pen (even if we did fuck that up), but he should have let play go on and award McGinn's goal.

Rooney over these 2 legs hasn't been clinical enough. Missed a hatful of chances in the first leg, and tonight, fuck knows what he was thinking with the pen. He'll be hurting tonight. Missed another great chance near the end. Still back him to be the main man for us though. Just needs to get going again.

Jack is back.

Outstanding over the two legs. Hope this form continues. Him and Shinnie work well together. Nice to see two looks from Aberdeen running a midfield again.

I'm not apportioning any blame to Lewis for the goal. Shocking bobble and could happen to anyone. Just s kick in the balls that it happened to be us. I'm still confident he's the best man for the job.

Subbing Burns was a mistake. I,d have hooked McLean.

WTF is up with McLean?

He's honking at the moment.

We need to be more clinical and streetwise. We're learning more every year, but not quick enough. Still too naive and not clinical enough.

Our delivery from set pieces and out wide is still poor.

Roll on Sunday so we can take our frustrations out on St Johnstone.

We're due them one.

COYR

I agree with everything your saying.

We're a better team than the Slovenian mob. Certainly using the evidence over the two legs.

Big up to the travelling support. I salute every one of you. You're a credit to yourselves and the team over your conduct.

We witnessed quite possibly the worst refereeing performance we are ever likely to see anywhere anytime. An absurd performance. Only thing he did right was award a pen (even if we did fuck that up), but he should have let play go on and award McGinn's goal.

Rooney over these 2 legs hasn't been clinical enough. Missed a hatful of chances in the first leg, and tonight, fuck knows what he was thinking with the pen. He'll be hurting tonight. Missed another great chance near the end. Still back him to be the main man for us though. Just needs to get going again.

Jack is back.

Outstanding over the two legs. Hope this form continues. Him and Shinnie work well together. Nice to see two looks from Aberdeen running a midfield again.

I'm not apportioning any blame to Lewis for the goal. Shocking bobble and could happen to anyone. Just s kick in the balls that it happened to be us. I'm still confident he's the best man for the job.

Subbing Burns was a mistake. I,d have hooked McLean.

WTF is up with McLean?

He's honking at the moment.

We need to be more clinical and streetwise. We're learning more every year, but not quick enough. Still too naive and not clinical enough.

Our delivery from set pieces and out wide is still poor.

Roll on Sunday so we can take our frustrations out on St Johnstone.

We're due them one.

COYR

Superb post.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

It was a total absurdity. I can't remember seeing anything so ridiculous before at this level.

Listening to the Sportsound podcast from post-match just now - Willie Miller saying Stockley was "well warned" after the first yellow about jumping up for the ball. That's fair enough, IF he had actually used his elbows. He didn't. Besides, what is he meant to do? Not challenge for the ball. The ref 100% to blame for that utter fucking nonsense.

Listening to the Sportsound podcast from post-match just now - Willie Miller saying Stockley was "well warned" after the first yellow about jumping up for the ball. That's fair enough, IF he had actually used his elbows. He didn't. Besides, what is he meant to do? Not challenge for the ball. The ref 100% to blame for that utter fucking nonsense.

Exactly he was sent off for trying. Watching the game though I saw it coming because the first booking was for Stockley's first non-foul...

It's hard cause you don't want to just sit and blame it all on the ref but for fuck sake didn't even need to be a pen, about half a second after the foul we scored

There's seldom occasion you can blame the ref for everything, but his decision to blow the whistle is a disgrace. If he was stopping play to red card the goalkeeper and we then miss the penalty, I'm okay with it, if he allows play to run, we score, and he does nothing with the keeper, I'm okay with it. What he did is only a benefit if Rooney scores, which he then didn't. We should be sending the game tape to UEFA and asking he is suspended from European competitions.

Exactly.

I just think against higher level teams he isn't good enough. Hardly scathing criticism.

Guess you are classing Maribor as this?

Yet he scored the winning goal that put Maribor out of Europe for Brimingham.

You sir are speaking pish.

Rooney cannot be expected to score in every game.

Griffiths for example doesn't score in every game in fact he failed to score against that team from Gilbraltar away from home.

Yes Rooney was under par tonight but this happens even to the best of them.

Thing is, even with the revision of the rules on contact to the face using hands/elbows etc...Stockley doesn't even touch him for the second yellow. It's genuinely incredible.

If anything Stockley got an elbow in the face for the second. Not the other way around. It was one of many of the refs 'mistakes'

It was either bribery or sympathy vote that swayed the ref tonight.

Players handled it admirably though considering the injustices. Nae so sure many other teams would have handled it as well.

If anything Stockley got an elbow in the face for the second. Not the other way around. It was one of many of the refs 'mistakes'

It was either bribery or sympathy vote that swayed the ref tonight.

Players handled it admirably though considering the injustices. Nae so sure many other teams would have handled it as well.

I think this is probably where the management and players deserve most credit for tonight! Several managers and players would have completely lost their temper tonight. Glad we kept it professional...well, kind of. Really, really wanted to see the Doc hook that boy after that prolonged glare he gave him...

I think this is probably where the management and players deserve most credit for tonight! Several managers and players would have completely lost their temper tonight. Glad we kept it professional...well, kind of. Really, really wanted to see the Doc hook that boy after that prolonged glare he gave him...

:laughing: Was like a slow dance with lots of passion. The slow backward face to face walk. I thought they were going to break into some kind of Tango or something.

We all know I have no soft spot for Jack & think he gets over credited for average & even shite performances.

He has been great in the last two games though & has shown the signs of the midfielder (& even captain) he SHOULD be for us.

I just wonder if Shinnies fight/passion alongside him has given him the help or boot up the arse he's needed.

Shinnie is a great LB but if he's needed more often in midfield to get the best out of Jack then I am all for it & we can begin the long hunt for another suitable LB.

Still want us to sign another CM though & a CH

We all know I have no soft spot for Jack & think he gets over credited for average & even shite performances.

He has been great in the last two games though & has shown the signs of the midfielder (& even captain) he SHOULD be for us.

I just wonder if Shinnies fight/passion alongside him has given him the help or boot up the arse he's needed.

Shinnie is a great LB but if he's needed more often in midfield to get the best out of Jack then I am all for it & we can begin the long hunt for another suitable LB.

Still want us to sign another CM though & a CH

That's been four very decent performances from Jack since the departure of Willo Flood :whistling:

Ha. Flood hardly played & Jack was still shite the bulk of the last season & a half.

Coming into the last year of his contract again I see. Time to knuckle down again. :whistling:

Just an observation ;)

On a serious note, the Jack & Shinnie combo has been very effective these last two games. Like yourself, I'd be willing to go with that at times, even if it does mean Considine at left back. I'd still be concerned if we don't see another midfielder come in, though.

I haven't read the whole thread since I am in a terrible mood after watching the match. My observations are as follows:

• Aberdeen were damned unlucky not to progress, they are a better team than the Slovenian side. This bodes well for the future, since Maribor are regular qualifiers for group stages.
  • The Dons players performed well, I was encouraged by the central midfield showing. The central defence partnership also held up well, I believe Mark Reynolds may be over his dip in form which encompassed most of last season.
  • The referee was intolerable at times. If there was a UEFA representative in the crowd, he should have subbed the ref! We were treated more fairly by the officials against Porto in 1984.
  • Jayden Stockley must not let this affect him - I wouldn't deem either of those challenges as fouls - it is a shame that he will probably feel somewhat responsible for the outcome.
  • I feel for Joe Lewis who has been solid each time I have watched him. I think a Maribor supporting worm got its head on the ball!

Twitter rumours saying official complaint will be lodged for match fixing. The ref and Maribor have past form for match fixing.

Did anyone notice this.... Šuler kicked Taylors head with studs showing while both on the floor after "foul", then awarded free kick to Maribor. During the first half in the Maribor penalty box.