Holidays 2017

Poodler

Booked up for a week at Lake Garda in September.

Staying in a cottage in a place called Desenzano Del Garda

Plan on taking a train through to visit Venice on one day then a train through to Milan another day.

Hiring a car as well so will be dotting about here there and everywhere.

My advice would be not to bother with Milan. Not really much to see, tbh. I'd strongly suggest having two days and an overnight and staying in the lido in Venice. A quite magical place, even better in the evening when the coach/cruise trippers have departed and you can walk a lot more easily around the narrow streets and explore.

Hotels on the lido are obviously pretty expensive but i'd say it's well worth it. Venice is totally different place in the evening and, IMO, it's a much improved place. There's less intensity, less people and a much better atmosphere.

Plenty good quality and value restaurants and bars in the Cannaregio area of the city too. Happy to let you know a bit about a few of them if desired.

Going to be in UK/Europe for about 3 weeks in September... have about 3 or 4 days free at the moment. Miss SOTR is desperate to visit Croatia for some reason... can anyone suggest an itinerary for a few days out there?

Zagreb is shite. Stay on the coast. Get the train from Venice if you can.

Buy Dons tickets while you're here.

Going to be in UK/Europe for about 3 weeks in September... have about 3 or 4 days free at the moment. Miss SOTR is desperate to visit Croatia for some reason... can anyone suggest an itinerary for a few days out there?

2 days in Dubrovnik and Hvar each. Both outstanding, plenty to do over 2 days.

Can even day trip in Montenegro if needed.

Definitely worth seeing and doing the south of Croatia.

2 days in Dubrovnik and Hvar each. Both outstanding, plenty to do over 2 days.

Can even day trip in Montenegro if needed.

Definitely worth seeing and doing the south of Croatia.

Zagreb is shite. Stay on the coast. Get the train from Venice if you can.

Buy Dons tickets while you're here.

Cheers for the info... what is there to do? From what little I know, it looks like sun, sea and sand. I have all that over here - so underwhelmed.

All being well, will make the Kilmarnock game. Will probably be the most excited I've ever been for a league fixture vs Kilmarnock.

Cheers for the info... what is there to do? From what little I know, it looks like sun, sea and sand. I have all that over here - so underwhelmed.

All being well, will make the Kilmarnock game. Will probably be the most excited I've ever been for a league fixture vs Kilmarnock.

Well, there's loads of sun, sea and sand....

Beyond that, the food was decent and I went to some impressive caves.

My advice would be not to bother with Milan. Not really much to see, tbh. I'd strongly suggest having two days and an overnight and staying in the lido in Venice. A quite magical place, even better in the evening when the coach/cruise trippers have departed and you can walk a lot more easily around the narrow streets and explore.

Hotels on the lido are obviously pretty expensive but i'd say it's well worth it. Venice is totally different place in the evening and, IMO, it's a much improved place. There's less intensity, less people and a much better atmosphere.

Plenty good quality and value restaurants and bars in the Cannaregio area of the city too. Happy to let you know a bit about a few of them if desired.

Thanks for the tips.

Any other info would be appreciated. Always good to hear other experiences.

Booked up for a week at Lake Garda in September.

Staying in a cottage in a place called Desenzano Del Garda

Plan on taking a train through to visit Venice on one day then a train through to Milan another day.

Hiring a car as well so will be dotting about here there and everywhere.

Just back from the lake Garda area. I'd try and visit Sirmione which is the next town along, Bardolino and Lazise are worth visiting as well. It's pretty much a case of wondering round the places popping in for some food and drink as you go as far as I'm concerned. You can get the boat/ferry to these places from Desenzano really easily.

Verona has an Opera production that is put on in the "collessium" in the centre of the town and despite being Opera it was a very good night out. (Sort of a has to be done once for the experience type thing) You're sitting on the stone steps in the cheap seats though and it is about 4 hours long so either splash out for the posh seats "with bar access" at the front or bring cushions!

Just back from the lake Garda area. I'd try and visit Sirmione which is the next town along, Bardolino and Lazise are worth visiting as well. It's pretty much a case of wondering round the places popping in for some food and drink as you go as far as I'm concerned. You can get the boat/ferry to these places from Desenzano really easily.

Verona has an Opera production that is put on in the "collessium" in the centre of the town and despite being Opera it was a very good night out. (Sort of a has to be done once for the experience type thing) You're sitting on the stone steps in the cheap seats though and it is about 4 hours long so either splash out for the posh seats "with bar access" at the front or bring cushions!

Thanks for tips min.

Not sure i fancy sitting for 4hrs in comfy or uncomfortable seats.

Thanks for tips min.

Not sure i fancy sitting for 4hrs in comfy or uncomfortable seats.

Actually your probably safe as it looks like they only do the outdoor opera till August.

I'd also suggest passing on Milan but would say Venice is worth the trip through for. The train also runs from Desenzano to Verona if you fancied a day trip to there as well. Just remember to validate your ticket on the platform.

Actually your probably safe as it looks like they only do the outdoor opera till August.

I'd also suggest passing on Milan but would say Venice is worth the trip through for. The train also runs from Desenzano to Verona if you fancied a day trip to there as well. Just remember to validate your ticket on the platform.

Cheers.

Read an interesting article about tourisim in Venice.

Seems the locals are nae happy.

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/world/2017/jul/23/venice-tempers-boil-over-tourist-high-season

Thanks for the tips.

Any other info would be appreciated. Always good to hear other experiences.

Hotels in Venice seemed to fall under 2 categories: old and expensive or top of the range and a fortune. We managed to find a recently renovated budget hotel (Hotel Filu - 3 star) that was perfect for what we needed. Was still pretty expensive for what you get but that's Venice. Location was oookay (about 20 minutes walk to St Mark's Square & <10 mins to the train station (ignore the guys offering to take your luggage and just do it yourself)) and it was spotless inside, with a decent breakfast too.

Our hotel was about 10 minutes walk from the Campo del Ghetto Nouvo (old Jewish ghetto), where close-by there are some lovely Jewish restaurants and also a decent selection of affordable seafood and italian places. Also 3 or 4 decent bars in the area, including a couple of decent cichetti (Venetian tapas) bars.

If you're only going in and out on one day, it may well be worth just sucking up the extortionate prices in the tourist trap places though. There's little sense in spending much of your day wandering away from the touristy stuff that you're there to see. I'd also recommend jumping off the water bus at "Rialto Mercato" and sitting on the square there next to the Grand Canal and having a drink. There's loads of cafes there that'll sell you a beer for £10 a go, or nip in to a wee shop and get a couple and just sit on the side of the water, loads of folk do that.

Venice is my favourite place in the world. Can't wait to go back, which won't be until next year.