Scotland Vs Canada & Slovenia

Why didn't they play on Wednesday?

I think in Strachan's head they were being rested for this game.

Wednesday was basically used as a training game to get the fitness of some players up who don't get a regular game.

Oh and to try and help Chris Martin get an international goal and justify his inclusion.

The first point was a mistake and wouldn't be necessary of Strachan could see past his blind loyalty and pick more players who are fit and on form and ready to come into the team at full tilt.

And on the second point was a waste of time completely because Chris Martin can score 40 goals a season in the ECL but he'll still never be an international football player - he just doesn't have the right qualities for international football.

The ECL really is not good breeding ground for international footballers, its far to physical and direct a league for that.

I'll expand on that actually because there are all sorts of things wrong with Strachans thinking now.

Firstly he decided that the Canada game was purely to be used as a preparation exercise for the Slovenia game.

That was a mistake because a poor result was clearly going to further hit morale levels. He should have picked a team that had enough energy and desire to win the game comfortably, not a bunch of failures, fringe players and guys who "needed a game"

Secondly there might be some justification in resting one or two of the Celtic players but to rest them all was stupid given 4 of those guys are probably key players at this point. He could have started 2 of them, and subbed things around taking 2 of them off and bringing 2 more on at half time if he really wanted to "protect" them.

Thirdly there was probably some justification in playing some of these guys because we needed to understand who could step into some of the problem roles. eg the centre backs were worth a shot since we are fcked in that position and it was worth playing Anya at RB again to see if he can be relied there. Wasn't entirely successful as I still think we are no nearer to finding a CB pairing.

BUT some of the others played really were a waste of time eg -

if Strachan really needed to play Lee Wallace at left back to see if he was possible better than Tiernay or Robertson then there is no hope at all for him as a coach, its clear as day that Wallace is absolutely miles behind either of those 2 players.

also playing Naismisth for example was a waste as well, he might as well have given Griffiths or Rhodes a start. We already know what Naismith can do and what his limitations are as well.

Lastly there was the "guys no one likes but WGS knows better so i'll persist with them until i'm sacked" eg. Chris Martin, who has had loads of chances and never looked like a player at this level. He makes Steven Fletcher look good ffs and just isn't the right type of player for this type of game. Again playing this guy is just holding back someone better or younger from a chance to show what they can do. Griffiths maybe or even better one of the younger strikers who may play at a lower level right now but may still have something to bring to this sort of thing.

TBH its hard to see what the hell Strachan is doing other than tying himself in knots with his own stubborn sense of warped "cleverness". IMO he also thinks he knows better and sees things the rest of us don't but after a while he is digging so deep for these subtle things he's looking for that he can't see out of the hole anymore.

In summary:

Strachan is a 4 foot man watching his team from the bottom of a 6 foot hole.

For me Friendlies are a chance to field players that are on the fringes & young guys a chance not to give guys a game that arent 1st picks for their current clubs to get some game time

i think the pressures well n truely building on gs & mcgoo to fuck off now, even the guys that wanted him to stay on(me included) are fed up of this garbage

Hoping we get absolutely horsed.

This is necessary to start the rebuilding process. The beaks at the SFA must go as well or we'll be back here in a few years time.

I actually agree with what you are saying but we've been saying the same thing in every qualifying campaign since 98 now. When the chance of qualifying is done, we always say we should blood the youngsters. Never happened yet.

Poorly written, aye.

The first 2 points I listed are what I think Strachan and McGhee believed they were doing.

What I then meant to go on and say is that those reasons were flawed in my own opinion.

It did make sense and you are correct.

Strachan has been a nightmare as Scotland manager, we can't get rid soon enough.

This time yesterday I really was dreading the game and half hoping we'd lose in order to hasten Gordon's departure.

A couple of hours to kick off and a few drinks in now I'm quite looking forward to the game hoping for a good result.

Ideally I wants Strachan to move on for the good of the national team and the lack of Dons players in the team is baffling. However for the 90 minutes the boys in navy blue will have my backing, the bunch of useless egits that they are.

Tierney at RB apparently, with Robertson at LB.

Forrest, Armstrong and Snodgrass in the three behind Griffiths.

Allowing for the fact that Strachan is still a cunt, it's by no means the worst team he's picked. Maybe reality is starting to dawn now that he's pretty much in the last-chance saloon.