Scottish Independence Referendum 2

Henry

Should Scotland be an independent country?  

274 members have voted

1. 1. Should Scotland be an independent country?

• Yes
    • No

Guest milne_afc
29 minutes ago, Parklife said:

Look who's in his 40's but wishes he was still in his 30's^ 

I call it my renaissance years, Parko. My 30s were enjoyable, it has to be said. Acted like a yoot for a lot longer than I should have tbh.

6 minutes ago, Roberto said:

What context?

I'll batter your box in if you're using 'Bay Area' context.

https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Hoot

Just the plain old laugh context. 

6 minutes ago, BaaBaaRedSheep said:

Aye and the next Bond will be a black, disabled, lesbian dwarf, who is transitioning to a man but wants to identify as a Banff Academy cat.

Might of went too far there.....

I've noticed a lot of Aberdonians use "of" in place of "have". Why's it so common? 

Guest milne_afc
4 minutes ago, Parklife said:

If noticed a lot of Aberdonians use "of" in place of "have". Why's it so common? 

Yip. It’s rife across the north east. I think I was taught wrongly and had to re-educate myself on this very point(as well as others).

5 minutes ago, Ramandu said:

The Dutch already have a Christmas guy called "Black Pete", who they used to dress up as. Recently they realised this was a bit racist, so are trying to replace him with (I kid you not) "Sooty Pete".

I love the crazy Dutch bastards. No fucks given.

Whereas this country seem to pander to anything and everything.

1 hour ago, Sooper-hanz said:

Having studied linguistics for a wee bit    the use of ‘of’ instead of ‘have’ is down to how it sounds when one abbreviates during speech eg  ‘could have (could’ve) should have (should’ve). The abbreviated syllable audibly sounds like ‘of’ therefore the written version becomes thus. 

Think we all understand why thickos do it, Hanz. Didn't take studying linguistics to work it oot lol. 

1 hour ago, Sooper-hanz said:

Personally I haven’t noticed it as something more prevalent in Aberdeen but it’s an interesting debate as to why (if indeed this were the case).

A disproportionately high amount of NE folk I know do it. Maybe I just know a high number of thick ones though. 

When I were a lad I grew up in an area where if someone referred to you as a "loony" they thought you were crazy, mental etc.

I then moved to Aberdeen in my early teens where if/when I was referred to as a "loony" I was inclined to get into fights until I learned that it was local terminology for a boy.

In other words every area has it's local dialect foibles without the locals necessarily being thick.

Guest Grays Babylon 1875
8 hours ago, daytripping said:

When I see a leith cunt with a dirty needle in the arm I say yes cunt, please die, oh yes. Is that the same?

Love cats, really do.

This is great. 

Welcome back pal.  🤘

2 hours ago, BaaBaaRedSheep said:

When I were a lad I grew up in an area where if someone referred to you as a "loony" they thought you were crazy, mental etc.

I then moved to Aberdeen in my early teens where if/when I was referred to as a "loony" I was inclined to get into fights until I learned that it was local terminology for a boy.

In other words every area has it's local dialect foibles without the locals necessarily being thick.

Using "of" rather than "have" isn't a dialect thing though. It's being thick. 

• Upvote 1
  • Dildo 1