The Sfa & Spfl Are Fucking Shite Thread

Football isn't played at rush hour...

I never said it was. I imagine itll be played at the same times as it is at Hampden. With similar amounts of people wanting to use the trains as they leave the game. I expect that there will still be a queue for trains at the closest station, like Hampden, to control the flow on to the platform

That they always have when I've gone there for Rugby matches etc

And living in both Edinburgh and Glasgow for several years.

My experiences for large events havent been great. Haymarket post concert at Murrayfield was a joke. That said, there was no one to control flow, which is what I think will happen after the football. I dont know what they do after the rugby, but 50k+ football crowds will be controlled the same east or west, Id imagine. This will create queues

I never said it was. I imagine itll be played at the same times as it is at Hampden. With similar amounts of people wanting to use the trains as they leave the game. I expect that there will still be a queue for trains at the closest station, like Hampden, to control the flow on to the platform

The nearest station is Haymarket not Mount Florida

Haymarket deals with 000s of travellers every day

In addition it is only for those leaving the city via train

The extensive bus network and tram would ferry people back into the City itself.

The nearest station is Haymarket not Mount Florida

Haymarket deals with 000s of travellers every day

In addition it is only for those leaving the city via train

The extensive bus network and tram would ferry people back into the City itself.

I never said mount Florida was! See my post above...There are buses galore on both sides of Hampden. The volume of fans walking on the road causes a lot of issues for them.

Haymarket deals with thousands of people every day, yet, as Ive said previously, is still a joke at times (even without major events).

I don't think we need two separate stadiums for football and rugby in a country of our size. Admittedly there would need to be an outbreak of common sense from those in control of both sports to actually work together to both play on the same site.

There should be flexibility in both sports to move games around the country though when it's likely that we wouldn't need a circa-60,000 seater stadium.

I'd lean towards Murrayfield as being the better option of the two stadia for being the principal stadium. The facilities within the grounds are superior, it's got better space to move crowds in and out of the stadium before and after too. Neither is great in terms of proximity to the pitch but again I think Murrayfield shades that too, the arse cheek ends of Hampden slope away too far from the pitch.

Hampden possibly has the edge over bus/car parking in and around the area though. That's why Haymarket can be a nightmare after games, everybody has to walk or take the tram to Murrayfield and it creates a bottleneck on the pavements and the roads, especially back into the city centre after a match.

History.

Tradition

Fact it’s a football stadium.

Fact it’s not a rugby stadium.

It’s been poorly revamped.

So it’ll be expensive to re do.

But alongside Wembley it is whatmskesbritish football great

I thought you were too cool for football threads, turns out you're a dweeb after all eh?

Both are stadiums nothing more. They can be used for either sport

I thought you were too cool for football threads, turns out you're a dweeb after all eh?

Both are stadiums nothing more. They can be used for either sport

I just like exposing geeks for their nerdy zit infested opinions.

What decent boozers you been to in the big smoke lately min?

Cask and kitchen?

The star?

Horse and groom?

^^^^ there’s three aces ones near victoria

Murrayfield v Hampden

They're both poor choices in truth.

Murrayfield's advantages:

• Bigger capacity
  • Two-tiered which means you can close off the top tier and just use the lower decks for games expecting around 30,000. So better atmosphere than at Hampden when often the bulk of the support are behind the goal.
  • Genuinely neutral venue if we play one of the Old Firm. Be interesting to see how many tickets they sell when the ground isn't in their own city and they're playing Inverness or Falkirk.

Hampden advantages:

• I'm bemused by the transport argument favouring Murrayfield. Hampden has train stations at both ends of the ground. Murrayfield has one tram stop. The main train stations are walking distance from both grounds. By road Murrayfield isn't any easier and those who complain they are stuck for hours after a game at Hampden clearly take the wrong roads.
  • Easier to segregate fans. Hearts/Hibs in 2012 - Hibs fans got on trains at Waverley that took them direct to King's Park. Hearts fans got on at Haymarket and were taken direct to Mount Florida. Great operation. Now try doing that for Old Firm fans going to Murrayfield. The only way to keep them separate is to have one support go to Waverley and then use shuttle buses. Who on earth would propose shuttle buses from a train station to a football stadium?

Would rather we rebuilt Hampden. Just do what Stuttgart have done.

From this

stuttgart2.jpg

To this

gottlieb_daimler06.jpg

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Murrayfield v Hampden

They're both poor choices in truth.

Murrayfield's advantages:

• Bigger capacity
  • Two-tiered which means you can close off the top tier and just use the lower decks for games expecting around 30,000. So better atmosphere than at Hampden when often the bulk of the support are behind the goal.
  • Genuinely neutral venue if we play one of the Old Firm. Be interesting to see how many tickets they sell when the ground isn't in their own city and they're playing Inverness or Falkirk.
Hampden advantages:

• I'm bemused by the transport argument favouring Murrayfield. Hampden has train stations at both ends of the ground. Murrayfield has one tram stop. The main train stations are walking distance from both grounds. By road Murrayfield isn't any easier and those who complain they are stuck for hours after a game at Hampden clearly take the wrong roads.
  • Easier to segregate fans. Hearts/Hibs in 2012 - Hibs fans got on trains at Waverley that took them direct to King's Park. Hearts fans got on at Haymarket and were taken direct to Mount Florida. Great operation. Now try doing that for Old Firm fans going to Murrayfield. The only way to keep them separate is to have one support go to Waverley and then use shuttle buses. Who on earth would propose shuttle buses from a train station to a football stadium?

Would rather we rebuilt Hampden. Just do what Stuttgart have done.

From this

stuttgart2.jpg

To this

gottlieb_daimler06.jpg

Excellent assumption that the main worry should be keeping Old Firm(defunct) fans apart. Fuck them, use Murrayfield

Edit: maybe slightly harsh, it was only one of your main points, not the main focus........

• Upvote 1

Murrayfield is just a better stadium all round imo.

Better views, better atmosphere I reckon, some space around the ground for fans and I've always found the travel pretty good even when I wasn't living just along the road from it.

You can have a drink in town and amble along the road stopping for a pint in the way. You can do that at Hampden too but it's just not as nice an experience.

Hampden never really suited having the seats simply bolted onto the slopes of the old terraces. Should have been adapted as Panda suggests - steeper stands would make a big difference.

Train station for murrayfield is not bad, trams help, marginally better to drive to I think, walking distance to Haymarket but also into town. Loads of buses, much more useable ones than Glasgow where buses don't seem to be utilised as well.

Murrayfield Looks smarter as well.

Bigger capacity, Panda points out its easier to split.

It's probably not ideal - a new modern football stadium would obviously be better but I think it's better than Hampden.

• Upvote 1

History.

Tradition

Fact its a football stadium.

Fact its not a rugby stadium.

Its been poorly revamped.

So itll be expensive to re do.

But alongside Wembley it is whatmskesbritish football great

History is great Bluto but they pissed all over that when they did such an abysmal job of the last revamp. As a seated stadia it's pretty shit.

I'm not bothered about the rugby stadia/football stadia thing - a few years in it would seem quite natural to play football there.