Welcome Home, Kari

You're right. Their continued success exhibited by them being equal top of their qualifying group for euro 2018 is simply a continuation of their single pinnacling!

If only we could sign other internationalists from similar one off successful countries!

I still can't think of another internationalist after McGinn.

Let's not get bogged down with pedantics. Every dog has its day regardless of whether a Jack Russell or a Great Dane.

• Downvote 2

My point entirely Tea bag.

He was doing a resonable job of tracking Lionel Messi in the Euros, but once upon a time he would have stopped him in his tracks. That's the difference...

Slightly off the pace. Mark my words, by November, you'll be agreeing wholeheartedly with my astute obersation.

Many world class defenders have got nowhere near keeping Ronald / Messi (delete appropriately according to intelligence levels) at bay.

On top of that he's been a main stay for Iceland for many years, in a period where they have ousted many countries on their way to pretty astonishing runs in the finals.

So excuse us for feeling a little optimistic about signing a defender who's got 60 international caps from a top performing European country, who we know has a bit of footballing intelligence about him, and who obviously very much wants to play for our club.

On balance I would say the small risk of signing an older player is more than made up for by the above points.

Looking forward to your next "astute obersation"

^ no need for histrionics TeaBag.

It's not difficult...if he's so good why is he playing at his current level?

Why would any rational thinking person who supports a football club be keen to see a 34 year old return when, first time round, he made it clear he wanted to leave after only a few months?

The above are clear concise questions based on indisputable fact.

Think before answering.

• Downvote 1

I can't see how this could be anything other than good news. He was decent last time around. Has performed well for Rotherham and Iceland since he left. Free transfer, one year deal. Virtually no risk involved. Can play centre back or holding midfield better than O'Conner can so improves the team.

Wouldn't rule out another centre back either at this stage. I still think we'll see another 2 or 3 in as there will be at least 2 or 3 departing.

Storey will definitely depart. Stockley looks likely too. McLean may also go later in the window if he doesn't sign a new deal. Storie probably will leave too either on a season long loan before leaving permanently or released early to sign for a new club.

You're right. Their continued success exhibited by them being equal top of their qualifying group for euro 2018 is simply a continuation of their single pinnacling!

If only we could sign other internationalists from similar one off successful countries!

I still can't think of another internationalist after McGinn.

World Cup. Not Euros.

Anyway... A lot of folk liked ( some loved) him when he was playing in midfield for us & he was very decent there.

A lot of people were pissed off we didn't keep him

Also a lot of people were very bitter at him for leaving (some of them even appreciated his talent)

A select few will deny he was good & say they were glad he left etc.

The MAJORITY could see he was a decent midfielder & IMO the majority were correct.

He turned out to be an even better defender than he was a midfielder it seems & his exploits down south & with Malmo & at international level have backed that argument up.

He is a serious improvement on what we had & I think he is a better signing (albeit just a year) than the much raved about Berra at hearts.

Fair enough he's 34 & will obviously be on the downward slope but he's still going to have a decent season in him, maybe even more as plenty of defenders & midfielders especially have played long after 34. He could quite easily be one of them. Time will tell.

It is even an ADDED bonus that he speaks so highly of Aberdeen & that he has a wee dig at Celtic too.

Fantastic signing & at a time we very much needed it ( wish it had been two weeks earlier) even if the signing has actually created a few new bed wetters but I think they are just seeking attention & the breakfast maid that the previous ones got.

World Cup. Not Euros.

Anyway... A lot of folk liked ( some loved) him when he was playing in midfield for us & he was very decent there.

A lot of people were pissed off we didn't keep him

Also a lot of people were very bitter at him for leaving (some of them even appreciated his talent)

A select few will deny he was good & say they were glad he left etc.

The MAJORITY could see he was a decent midfielder & IMO the majority were correct.

He turned out to be an even better defender than he was a midfielder it seems & his exploits down south & with Malmo & at international level have backed that argument up.

He is a serious improvement on what we had & I think he is a better signing (albeit just a year) than the much raved about Berra at hearts.

Fair enough he's 34 & will obviously be on the downward slope but he's still going to have a decent season in him, maybe even more as plenty of defenders & midfielders especially have played long after 34. He could quite easily be one of them. Time will tell.

It is even an ADDED bonus that he speaks so highly of Aberdeen & that he has a wee dig at Celtic too.

Fantastic signing & at a time we very much needed it ( wish it had been two weeks earlier) even if the signing has actually created a few new bed wetters but I think they are just seeking attention & the breakfast maid that the previous ones got.

He was 'good' in a very shit team you spastic

He was 'good' in a very shit team you spastic

He was better than good in a very shit team you spastic.

He went on to IMPROVE on that level.

He's a better defender than he was a midfielder (it seems)

Let's let the season be the judge on how good/important the signing is.

Did you have his poster on your wall or something. You were very much one of those bitter ones I spoke of lol

• Upvote 1

He was better than good in a very shit team you spastic.

He went on to IMPROVE on that level.

He's a better defender than he was a midfielder (it seems)

Let's let the season be the judge on how good/important the signing is.

Did you have his poster on your wall or something. You were very much one of those bitter ones I spoke of lol

So good we failed to win 27 of the 31 games he played in, BALLER!!!

So good we failed to win 27 of the 31 games he played in, BALLER!!!

You know fine well that was down to a certain manager firstly trying to defend 0-0 score lines.

& as you said yourself. It was a shite team.

So yo cannot try & lay that blame on him

Fkn pathetic.

You were always one of the biggest ragers when he left. I remember that.

Not sure what's more pathetic. Your apparent dislike of him or your name calling to slate those that appreciate his signing.

I hope we do not have to come back to this subject, as I will not be one to glory in being correct about how good a signing this was ( for at least a season)

Changed my mind about him coming back. He was ok last time round but is remembered more or less for the spectacular goals he scored.

As I recall his performance v Hibs in the SC semi that year was abysmal. I will be watching with interest his performances in the cup games while he is here again.

Also the "Once a Don" thing I would take with a huge pinch of salt. He's Icelandic FFS, played for us for 1 season and from what I recall couldnt wait to leave.

Some folk are getting carried away. Players know they are privileged to join us etc. Get a grip. Outside the Glasgow two we pay the best wages, or is it Hearts?, and for the last while we have been a well organised club. That is why players are more likely to join us now not because its any kind of privilege.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Changed my mind about him coming back. He was ok last time round but is remembered more or less for the spectacular goals he scored.

As I recall his performance v Hibs in the SC semi that year was abysmal. I will be watching with interest his performances in the cup games while he is here again.

Also the "Once a Don" thing I would take with a huge pinch of salt. He's Icelandic FFS, played for us for 1 season and from what I recall couldnt wait to leave.

Some folk are getting carried away. Players know they are privileged to join us etc. Get a grip. Outside the Glasgow two we pay the best wages, or is it Hearts?, and for the last while we have been a well organised club. That is why players are more likely to join us now not because its any kind of privilege.

Lol.

Is Rumpus up to his old tricks of PM'ing folk to sway opinions (just like he did during the Afc Chat awards a couple of years ago) ;)

^ no need for histrionics TeaBag.

It's not difficult...if he's so good why is he playing at his current level?

Why would any rational thinking person who supports a football club be keen to see a 34 year old return when, first time round, he made it clear he wanted to leave after only a few months?

The above are clear concise questions based on indisputable fact.

Think before answering.

Is he an improvement on Ash Taylor?

Anyway... My opinions on Arnason are not based on his times with us as a midfielder (mostly) in a shite side.

I am basing my beliefs in this being a decent signing (as a CH) on his most recent form of late as a centre half & at decent levels.

If we can get him playing as well as he did in the Euros (& that spreads through the rest of our defence/team) then we will ALL be very happy.

I am fairly confident Arnason will be a very inspirational signing & I VERY much hope he is.

In fact....It's clear I've won the Kari Arnason debate.

I shall now depart this subject and leave you jokers to pick at the scraps left in my wake.

:trophy:

Ok Donald Rump

You win. Anyone else who says otherwise is fake news, right?

PS - when did "winning" an online debate actually matter?

• Upvote 2

When this was first spoken about a few weeks back I wasn't fussed about him coming however having watched that defensive performance midweek Kari is exactly what we need. A calm experienced head at the back. Definitely an upgrade on Ash Taylor so can only be a good thing.