French Football

cgs1706

I used to live in France, in Nancy, and I loved it - went to the football and became a massive ASNL fan. Was just wondering what everyone's thoughts are about French football? Get to see it much? I have Setanta so watch a lot on there...

A boy called Boutabout has just been sent off for Sedan. Great name.

Guest LondonScottish
The sad thing about French football is that as soon as a world class talent is discovered, then he's on the next flight to England, Spain or Italy. Also, Lyon are dominating the game in a Chelsea kind of way which makes it quite boring.

Are Lyon second in their league too then? :)

Lyon have only won one in 5, just managing to beat Lorient today... I know every team has a blip but you never know if it's the beginning of the end of their domination... also if you look at the league table it's so close - I think pretty much anyone could still go down...

There are still some players who haven't left and have been in France for ages - Juninho, Pauleta, Govou... ok that's three, I take your point swaddon...

It's been great this year, clubs who are supposed to be the giants are doing so badly, look at PSG, Monaco and Nantes (still bottom) - they've all been terrible this season. I think all French teams are still in the UEFA cup and Champions League as well, which is nice... Nancy have Shakthar Donetsk so it's gonna be tough...

It's been great this year, clubs who are supposed to be the giants are doing so badly, look at PSG, Monaco and Nantes (still bottom) - they've all been terrible this season. I think all French teams are still in the UEFA cup and Champions League as well, which is nice... Nancy have Shakthar Donetsk so it's gonna be tough...

PSG to meet the Huns at some stage would be fun.

Marseille went out to M Boleslav in first round of UEFA Cup and Auxerre went out in Rangers group in UEFA.

But 4 clubs still in UEFA Cup and 2 in Champions League.

Actually hoping they get bombed this week before he gets the chance!!

Well, if there fans are stupid enough to do their salutes in Israel, your wish may be granted.

Although Rangers have paid for this for the 2nd leg:

29atvg4.png

Which could contravene:

paragraph 3.30 of this UEFA Rule:

"The promotion or announcement, by any means, of political messages or, any other political actions inside or in the immediate vicinity of the stadium are strictly prohibited, before, after and during UEFA Competitive matches."

Well, if there fans are stupid enough to do their salutes in Israel, your wish may be granted.

Although Rangers have paid for this for the 2nd leg:

29atvg4.png

Which could contravene:

paragraph 3.30 of this UEFA Rule:

"The promotion or announcement, by any means, of political messages or, any other political actions inside or in the immediate vicinity of the stadium are strictly prohibited, before, after and during UEFA Competitive matches."

Christ on a bike - that's possibly the most nauseating thing I've ever seen!

:tossr:

Back on topic, when I was over in France in October I went to see Lille play Nice. It cost 13 euros to get in (plus allowed you to travel for free on the metro to get there and back). The stadium was one of those typically European municipal stadiums which was as good as anything you would get in this country but only cost about a tenth of the price!

The game itself was alright but I can't say I was really impressed with either side (I think Lille had left a lot of their top players out). They were both very good technically but it definitely lacked the passion of the Scottish game. Lille deserved to win and did so by a single goal. They have been 3rd or 4th in the league most of the season but I can only imagine they must play a lot better than that.

Back on topic, when I was over in France in October I went to see Lille play Nice. It cost 13 euros to get in (plus allowed you to travel for free on the metro to get there and back). The stadium was one of those typically European municipal stadiums which was as good as anything you would get in this country but only cost about a tenth of the price!

The game itself was alright but I can't say I was really impressed with either side (I think Lille had left a lot of their top players out). They were both very good technically but it definitely lacked the passion of the Scottish game. Lille deserved to win and did so by a single goal. They have been 3rd or 4th in the league most of the season but I can only imagine they must play a lot better than that.

Agree with everything you say with regards to price and skill level, however I think the entertainment level is far higher that our blood and guts high punt kick and run style that we are subjected to week in week out in Scotland.

Agree with everything you say with regards to price and skill level, however I think the entertainment level is far higher that our blood and guts high punt kick and run style that we are subjected to week in week out in Scotland.

Do you not think if teams here started trying to adopt that patient style of play then crowds would get on their backs and demand the ball gets forward ASAP?

Do you not think if teams here started trying to adopt that patient style of play then crowds would get on their backs and demand the ball gets forward ASAP?

It wont work in Scottish football as we lack the skill to carry it off. We employ cloggers to hit the skillful players early on in games and use physical contact to try and compensate for a lack of skill or vision.

This all stems from school football and above. Just ask Big AL, having watched his son play football its clear he is a very skillfull footballer but how many times has he just be clogged to stop him playing? Its sadly a vicious and ever decreasing circle.

Thats what happens with us anyway. Pass, pass, pass, pass (all sideways or backwards) then either hoof (or sclaff) from Langfield, Foster, Anderson, Considine or a 60 yard pass attempt from Severin!!

Archived