Your Highs And Lows Of 2017

Poodler

Congrats to you and Mrs Clydeside, Mr Clydeside. One part of your excellently positive post made me wince however.

Are you bringing up your children in the catholic tradition and if so, what gives you the right?

We didn’t christen any of our four simply because we didn’t think we had the right to, even though the two of us both had been.

Our children might have preferred to be catholic, or baptists or hindus or jews.

We considered the imposition of any one religion, or any one narrow division of Christianity, as a terrible abuse of parental responsibility.

Like brainwashing actually.

Thank you wrt congratulations.

I disagree that raising a child in a religion is an abuse of parental responsibility. It is no more so than is raising a child to follow the green cross code, display good manners or treat others with respect.

Parenting includes the presentation of a set of values & behaviours which, based on their own experience, a parent believes will stand the child in good stead. Upon reaching adulthood the child is, of course, free to reject what the parent has offered them.

I think in the modern day we are too quick to reject or scorn the wisdom of our ancestors and I think there is a lot to be said for tradition (which is very unfashionable these days).

With terms like brainwashing and indoctrination, we think of someone being forced to accept or believe something uncritically. But on the contrary I believe in questions and will certainly encourage my brood to question all. I like to question things. I tend to find that if you cant pick holes in something, then there is probably something to it.

A parent is in a position of natural authority over their children (our society has I think largely lost this notion) and this is where my 'right' to make decisions concerning the children flows from.

(Btw Catholicism isnt a "narrow division of Christianity" - Catholicism IS Christianity.)

Thank you wrt congratulations.

I disagree that raising a child in a religion is an abuse of parental responsibility. It is no more so than is raising a child to follow the green cross code, display good manners or treat others with respect.

Parenting includes the presentation of a set of values & behaviours which, based on their own experience, a parent believes will stand the child in good stead. Upon reaching adulthood the child is, of course, free to reject what the parent has offered them.

I think in the modern day we are too quick to reject or scorn the wisdom of our ancestors and I think there is a lot to be said for tradition (which is very unfashionable these days).

With terms like brainwashing and indoctrination, we think of someone being forced to accept or believe something uncritically. But on the contrary I believe in questions and will certainly encourage my brood to question all. I like to question things. I tend to find that if you cant pick holes in something, then there is probably something to it.

A parent is in a position of natural authority over their children (our society has I think largely lost this notion) and this is where my 'right' to make decisions concerning the children flows from.

(Btw Catholicism isnt a "narrow division of Christianity" - Catholicism IS Christianity.)

That, if I may say, is the most naïve post I have read since joining the forum. Roman Catholicism, like every other of the major Abrahamic religions, is nothing more than a means to control an uneducated population based on the ramblings of bronze age desert fantasists which the Romans were quick to exploit and turn to their advantage. Burning bushes, Virgin births, the dead reincarnating and all the rest of the nonsense has absolutely no basis in science and no place in the modern world. Your beliefs are your own, but for goodness sake do not unload that load of childish mumbo jumbo claptrap on your kids. And before you start human morality is not down to religious dogma as even the fucking Neanderthals kept badly injured group members alive when they were a burden to their survival and they, as far as I am aware, did not have access to the holy books.

• Upvote 8

Highs

Becoming a father for the second time.

The second birthday of my first kid.

2 x wonderful family holidays.

Attending a Pontifical High Mass, offered by a Cardinal.

Us retaining the services of McInnes, with relative ease, despite the attentions of various deluded football clubs.

Getting SKY TV and (finally) a broadband service significantly better than dial-up (SKY Fibre).

The absolutely brilliant job I did of decorating a new bedroom for the first child, defying all expectation. It was all thanks to the excellent "Frogtape".

Lows

It would be churlish to complain, although I did greatly resent the two meek losses to the huns within one week.

Congratulations on the second kid... I assume you've no intentions of stopping there, so let me be the first to offer congratulations on the third and fourth.

As for the Catholicism, we just had a beatification ceremony for some famous local wizard, Father Solanus Casey.

Our Catholic... our pretendy Catholic... friends went down to Ford Field with about 80,000 other Catholics and watched as his corpse was subjected to mumbled arcane incantations, which allowed his spirit to ascend the Heavenly Chimney and reside with the Saints in their wondrous kingdom, forever and ever.

Anyway, part of the whole process is that guys in pointy hats have to verify... VERIFY, mind you... that he'd performed an actual, recorded, VERIFIABLE, mind you... miracle, in order to make everything above board. You know, because you can't have someone faking a miracle. No, it has to be a genuine suspension of all the laws of physics and reality.

So they're confirming that.

They're confirming that this fella could perform actual, genuine, bona fide magical tricks.

These are adults doing this.

In the 21st Century.

Magic.

Like in Harry Potter.

Anyway, you're a Catholic, so I'm taking it out on you.

Our friends are about as Catholic as we are Jewish. But presumably they have a deep-seated desire to be part of something, regardless of how nonsensical. The guy was, in fact, a self-proclaimed atheist most of his life. Then he entered government, and presumably it was prudent to pretend to be Catholic.

They were doing the whole sobbing with joy thing...

...baffling.

Anyway, congratulations.

• Upvote 5

Congratulations on the second kid... I assume you've no intentions of stopping there, so let me be the first to offer congratulations on the third and fourth.

As for the Catholicism, we just had a beatification ceremony for some famous local wizard, Father Solanus Casey.

Our Catholic... our pretendy Catholic... friends went down to Ford Field with about 80,000 other Catholics and watched as his corpse was subjected to mumbled arcane incantations, which allowed his spirit to ascend the Heavenly Chimney and reside with the Saints in their wondrous kingdom, forever and ever.

Anyway, part of the whole process is that guys in pointy hats have to verify... VERIFY, mind you... that he'd performed an actual, recorded, VERIFIABLE, mind you... miracle, in order to make everything above board. You know, because you can't have someone faking a miracle. No, it has to be a genuine suspension of all the laws of physics and reality.

So they're confirming that.

They're confirming that this fella could perform actual, genuine, bona fide magical tricks.

These are adults doing this.

In the 21st Century.

Magic.

Like in Harry Potter.

Anyway, you're a Catholic, so I'm taking it out on you.

Our friends are about as Catholic as we are Jewish. But presumably they have a deep-seated desire to be part of something, regardless of how nonsensical. The guy was, in fact, a self-proclaimed atheist most of his life. Then he entered government, and presumably it was prudent to pretend to be Catholic.

They were doing the whole sobbing with joy thing...

...baffling.

Anyway, congratulations.

Couldn't they just support Celtic like all the other fucking bams?

Couldn't they just support Celtic like all the other fucking bams?

Well, they visited Ireland, because apparently he's like 1/400th Irish, so the bogs were calling him home... presumably they caught a Celtic game on the telly while they were there and joined in with the songs.

Why do you stay in Yankee Doodle fuck heid land kelt? Out of the ones I've met, the West coasters are fairly chilled but still self obsessed fuds, Florida and the South mainly harmless retards, NY etc just cunts.

There was one boy fae the midwest who was actually sound and a couple of loons fae Atlanta who were decent.

Could never stay there, at least the fuds in Scotland are easy to pigeon hole and you know what you are working with.

US fifty shades of fuds min.

Fuds wi guns.

Why do you stay in Yankee Doodle fuck heid land kelt? Out of the ones I've met, the West coasters are fairly chilled but still self obsessed fuds, Florida and the South mainly harmless retards, NY etc just cunts.

There was one boy fae the midwest who was actually sound and a couple of loons fae Atlanta who were decent.

Could never stay there, at least the fuds in Scotland are easy to pigeon hole and you know what you are working with.

US fifty shades of fuds min.

Fuds wi guns.

America is like every country in the world within the borders of one country. There are great places, there are horrendous places. There are great people, there are the worst people.

It's up to you to associate yourself with what you consider the best people and places that you can, and disassociate yourself with the worst. You do a disservice to yourself if you keep company with people who are negative or awful.

The stupids and the arseholes are the ones who make the most noise, so you'll notice them before you notice people, Yanks included, who keep themselves to themselves. For a point of equivalence bear this in mind... when you travel the world the Tartan Army is the thing people are most likely to remember about the Scots. They may not be representative of you or the vast majority of Scots, but this is what people will remember about Scottish folk. No-one remembers the Scottish guy who didn't get pished and throw up on the pavement, or the guy from Perth who didn't bare his arse in public as some family with kids walked by.

Point being, you've probably walked past a thousand Yanks who were minding their own business and being no bother to anyone... but then you'll run into a few wankers... and who are you going to remember?

3A46AC0900000578-3929912-Some_Scotland_f

• Upvote 1

^ Bandwagon jumper on er.

It has become a national pastime for today's metrosexual Scottish male to constantly deride people who get pissed while wearing a kilt.

I've not been to a Scotland game for over a decade and never used to wear a kilt when I did go. So, in answer to your question, no I'm not.

But if that's fun for some, good fucking on them.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

^ Hark at you, self righteous prick....

A few guys having a drink enduced laugh after purchasing tourist pap police hats in London.

What gives you the right to assume the moral high ground? Have you never enjoyed yourself with pals while drinking?

I'm talking about cunts flashing in public, just cause their going to a Scotland game. Cretins, just like you.

Yup. Scumbag behaviour. However your attempt to portray this as behaviour all Scotland fans indulge in is totally moronic.

Gets you big props from all the self-loathers on here though.

Read my posts again, i wasn't talking about Scotland fans in general. I was referring to the ones that lift their kilts like the ones in the picture. You owe me an apology.